Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

I think the last one I tried was the first version that added the Paper-White, and at the time you hadn’t really given an explanation, so I had no clue what to do with it, so I set it to 350nits which is what I calibrated my display to be in SDR. No clue if that was correct or not tbh. But it let me leave my gamma at 1.0, just had to drag the Saturation slider to whatever the max the UI allowed me to do. Didn’t feel I needed to override it to go higher, since the image was acceptable.

Going by ReShade rules there’s usually never really a clearly defined “enough” for saturation, or sharpening.

Just have to get it to something you feel is satisfactory I presume.

EDIT: And in general and the way this topic in particular moves these 0.11.1 builds are a bit everywhere but:

Think that’s one of the latest 32 and 64 bit builds available now. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Oh and that above is more about personal preference, it’s hard to account for something everyone likes and finding a good balance for what settings to implement and what to cap them to as a result, nothing new I suspect but also not the easiest to do covering for as much as possible.

They did, but half of the examples they showed had severe black crush so not much effort was made to calibrate the settings. Obviously it was made clear that the mod will continue to improve.
Would be way better if they used the new version.

I mean DF said that the tonemapping worked really well and made SDR games look slightly better. It doesn’t seem like it’s doing anything crazy, it’s nothing like Xbox Auto HDR, rather it’s just for convenience in order to have HDR enabled all the time.

The only bad things I’ve heard about it were some user complaints on reddit.

So I’m guessing it depends on the TV, some sort of misconfiguration, no idea.

I’m eager to try it myself, particularly in Bloodborne back compat, but who knows when I’ll get a PS5 since I didn’t preorder.

Via Guru3D.
Not too unexpected though if what it comes down to is support for a single feature that’s otherwise fairly hardware agnostic. :slight_smile:

EDIT: That last bit is though thought it was quite important for stability and overall system robustness that the system meet the standards here or it might be problematic, interesting!

Nice to see NVIDIA also confirm the same 3 - 6% performance uplift, it’s small but it’s something and it’s essentially free when activated.

EDIT: This in the bios on newer AGESA code.

Though AMD’s holding it for the 5000 series CPU’s and when coupled with a 6000 series GPU, for now.

From my understanding this allows segments/chunks larger than 256 MB of data per bit but game engines would already be operating around this limit thus a small but still there performance increase upwards of 5% or so in testing.

With my own curiosity about it being related to Direct Storage and sending a ton of data in big chunks potentially having this as a nifty benefit enabling just that to be done, we’ll see how it works I suppose.
(Still a free up-to 5% gain on it’s own though which isn’t bad at all, free performance after all.)

Ah and there’s Nioh 2’s PC news.

(On PC Steam)Will include:

• 4K Ultra-HD support
  • Ultra wide-screen compatibility
  • HDR monitor support
  • 144Hz monitor support
  • consistent 120 FPS on compatible systems
  • full mouse and keyboard customization

Also going to be compilations and bundles and a remaster of the first Nioh on PS4 and PS5

(Via Reset Era)
Nioh 2 - The Complete Edition (available on PlayStation 4)
Nioh 2 Remastered – The Complete Edition (available on PlayStation 5)
Nioh Remastered – The Complete Edition (available on PlayStation 5)
The Nioh Collection (available on PlayStation 5)

EDIT: Wonder what Koei Tecmo and HDR on PC entails…ha ha!

Uh oh… Koei Tecmo is trying HDR now? Be afraid, be very afraid :slight_smile:

Oh, nice. I just got the courage to watch the DF video, lol. I try to stay away from discussions of my work by other parties because that feels kind of narcissistic. Luckily any praise was directed at the product and I’m fine with that :stuck_out_tongue:

Do wish he would have consulted with me about the black crush though. It’s not supposed to function that way, it gives the wrong idea :frowning:

I have since just auto-boosted the gamma in the ACES tonemap mode since people weren’t really getting the memo that they should dial-in their own < 1.0 gamma value in that tonemap.

Also, I think I must have tortured poor Alex by naming the tonemap ACESCg :slight_smile: It’s ACES as in … playing cards have 4 Aces. He seems to have thought it was an acronym where each individual letter was pronounced.

2 Likes

Hah yeah the Omega Force Dynasty Warriors game and engine, GUST and Atelier and then Nioh and it’s engine, at least that one felt like that while it took a few patches in the end they mostly nailed down support and got things working.

Not that it did much for the later PC ports because it repeated anyway like a lack of 2560x1440 and framerate and all sorts of problems and input issues.

Curious how the next Atelier game will work out and what more they’re working on over on Koei and it’s many studios who judging by the PC ports and how these turn out aren’t actually communicating with one another, ever.

WTF? This is ReShade’s solution to screenshots in 10-bit software?

https://github.com/crosire/reshade/blob/main/source/d3d12/runtime_d3d12.cpp#L488-L514

Why not just use a file format that can store 10bpc color? (.png or .jxr) ReShade has a much longer way to go before it is HDR compatible than I thought it did :frowning:

Weird how it’s got a pretty sophisticated shading language that works w/ SPIRV, but something much simpler like HDR support does not exist. I’d gladly trade problems… if SK had Vulkan and D3D12 support and it only needed HDR support, that’d take me all of a day or two to implement :slight_smile:

Would be a dream come true if crosire and Kaldaien worked together :grinning:

I may very well step in and add HDR support to ReShade after seeing what I just saw :slight_smile:

I need D3D12 support desperately and ReShade needs HDR support desperately. This will be mutually beneficial. Additionally, I wanted to get my framerate limiter integrated directly into ReShade so that people are not forced into a position where they have to choose between SK or ReShade in some incompatible games.

Trying to get stuff integrated in RTSS apparently is barking up the wrong tree, but I’m sure I can get stuff into ReShade without any resistance.

1 Like

Yeah 10-bit support is not quite there, screenshots tend to be kinda pink and I’d imagine some of the shaders with formats applied are another source of issues that future ReShade versions will slowly improve on.

Think the latest couple of commits include warnings about 10-bit or specific RGB 10 bit variants and what’s supported and what not though I’m not too good at reading that stuff out.

EDIT:
Format = RGBA8;

That sort of stuff in some of the shaders.

EDIT:
Seems Eivor isn’t above learning some wrestling moves.

2 Likes

Hey guys, anybody else crashing after trying to start the game with the limiter? i applied the two files on the game’s folder but I’m only getting a black screen after the game launch, not even a crash anymore.

ROTFLMAO… I love these forums. Never know what you’re going to find when you click a notification.

What game? SK works in tens of thousands of them :slight_smile:

in ACV hehe :grinning:

The only thing I can think of is third-party software being confused. SK doesn’t even render anything in D3D12, so it’s definitely nothing I did.

Yeah, converting the source image from 8-bit to 10-bit isn’t even half of what needs to be done to take an HDR screenshot :slight_smile:

Any game that uses a 10-bit swapchain and is HDR, uses SMPTE 2084 (Perceptual Quantization) instead of gamma. That needs to be removed because no image file format supports that. Then there’s the issue of colorspace, the same 10-bit swapchain uses Rec 2020 and non-HDR file formats always assume Rec 709.

I think I can knock a lot of this stuff out in a day or two for ReShade, but having to do it 4 or 5 times for all the render APIs that ReShade supports will be tiring :stuck_out_tongue: So I better get a working D3D12 renderer in Special K in exchange for this work, lol.

Also feels like a good opportunity to put ReShade’s Compute Shader support to the test. A luminance histogram is needed to tonemap screenshots to SDR. ReShade’s well-suited to do that GPU-side, but needs Compute Shaders to be efficient.

1 Like

i applied the newest files and now i instantly get thrown back to desktop just before a snake detected sound effect (im not even kidding) as if the game didnt recognized the files and wanted to eject out, its weird.