Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

@Kaldaien
- Optimized part of the game code, moved multiple game functions to C++, removed unnecessary function calls on multiple objects

So is that actually optimization? o.O

No idea which 455.xx branch though so you might sacrifice the fixes and improvements in 456.55 or even 456.38 going with this driver.

Also unsure but I don’t expect DXVK to adapt Vulkan Extension global priority if it’s a Win10 only thing.
And I think most of the other 1.2.148.1 VLK SDK and extensions are in the 456.x driver branch already.

EDIT:

Kaldaien is going to love that one. Ha ha!

I can’t use SK frame limiter though with VULKAN.

Also seems like the supposedly inspired by BOTW Genshin Impact is now released, seems like it’s free? But with Micro transaction I believe?

Yeah free to play but micro transactions though with some currency earned by in-game activities and accomplishments.
Has a custom kernel level service for anti cheat purposes though so I don’t think SpecialK is usable.
(EDIT: One of the later updates will also resolve said service not shutting down after quitting the game.)

Available on I think even the newer iPhone models too, seems to have gotten pretty good user feedback from what I can read via Metacouncil and ResetEra although the games only been out for a while so how this “collection” (gacha) element works I suppose is something that will be seen more for the end-game grind and need for the higher tier characters and gear.

Honestly i think i would rather have the game be a 60-70$ with no micro transaction BS, instead of “gacha”

On another note SK doesn’t work with vulkan right? i really wanted to use it’s framelimiter instead of RTSS on vulkan games…

There’s some support through D3D11->DXVK’s Vulkan wrapping but Kaldaien mentioned some of the later updates might have affected compatibility with this.

Native though I presume would require SpecialK to have a layer to load it into Vulkan the way this is intended to be done similar to ReShade or some of the display driver functionality or Steam and other software.

I believe the core framerate limiter functionality does work for D3D12 even if SpecialK still lacks the full OSD functionality for this API so I’m hoping it can work for Vulkan although you’d lose the D3D and DXGI overrides and Vulkan manages it on a per-application basis.
(DXVK has a few overrides for some configuration changes but it’s a in-between for D3D9, 10 and 11 to Vulkan.)

Hmm not sure how Afterburner or Rivatuner does Vulkan API support either, maybe it just dynamically adds the needed layer info to the registry when started.

So anyone on Steam Beta Client? I am trying to use Controller support settings and it keeps locking up n me. Don’t know why but its all messed up. Anyone else having this issue?

Edit:
It seems anything that has to do anything with Big Picture mode now crashes on me.

Edit2:
Found out issue. I simply switched my monitors DP connectors in GPU and swapped them around. That seemed to fix my crash issue. Seems that monitor ID’s and Color Management ID’s have to match each other and if they don’t then damn Steam Big Picture has issues. But this actually was an issue with Horizon Zero Dawn in going to correct monitor. So somehow I get feeling that this was major issue.

YUP SpecialK doesn’t work with genshin impact, and of course the game is made with unity which as usual is in borderless fullscreen mode, no option to switch it to elusive mode, And it doesn’t run in flip mode.

Atleast good old -window-mode exclusive command line works.

No, SpecialK will work with Genshin Impact, but since the launcher runs as Admin, you gotta do a local install. Copy SpecialK64.dll into the “Program Files\Genshin Impact\Genshin Impact Game” folder and name it “dxgi.dll”. I was able to use SpecialK just fine like that. I ultimately decided not to use it though. I didn’t want to trigger whatever anti-cheat they have. Because, despite it being a Gacha game (which I normally abhor), I actually enjoy it, probably because unlike most Gacha games it has REAL gameplay. Its not just some crappy little auto-battler, where the most gameplay you get is the roulette when you do a pull, or I suppose picking the right characters for something. I’m actually considering spending some real money it, because, to be frank, the game is actually worth it. They put some real effort in and I think that should be rewarded, so I don’t want to get banned if I’m gonna spend money.

My problem with genshin impact lies in solely one thing;

They advertised it as some co-op multiplayer “you can play with friends” type of game if you want. But they only did that as a marketing ploy because the CO-OP has no “real” features. I’m very confident they just did it to increase revenue as people can sometimes interact with friends and show off their stuff or have very small social interaction. But any type of real progress or anything “beneficial” is 90%+ solo. It’s very sad, I was hoping this would be a game I could play with my significant other…

As a singleplayer game though? honestly pretty incredible for free to play, it’s really well done gacha as well in my opinion.

KIngdoms of Amular: Re-Reckoning Got patched again.

**Changelog**

* Several crash fixes

* Gems in sockets can get out of stash properly now. Old version would not allow to stash an item (leave room, enter room again), take out of stash, unsocket. The socket would stay in the item and the item would start to get more and more weird.

* The Exiles quest (part of The Legend of Dead Kel), NPC could get stuck behind collapsed wall, fixed.

* Fixed Supersampling graphics option on PC

* Fixed rare case of autosave during conversation where after load you would get stuck.

* Fix for player getting teleported behind a closed door in a cutscene in the quest Thick as Thieves

* Fix for rubble does not hit NPCs now hotfixed in the "Ascension" quest of the Teeth of Naros chapter

* It was possible that 'fast travel forbidden' got stuck after certain quests.

* Added Pak file unpacker and packer tool for modding

So what exactly does Supersampling mean its fixed?

Maybe it scales properly but yeah that’s pretty vague, perhaps it’s 2.25x and 4x instead of 4x and 8x or any possible thing that fixed could mean here.

Err that’s 2.25x is often what you see for 1.5x width and 1.5x height or what’s a 50% increase, 4x would be a 100% and double the width and height or 2x 2x.

Though if that’s the case then a resolution slider might have worked better but if it’s traditional FSAA / SSAA then it’s more like MSAA and a fixed sample size only instead of partial geometry samples it’s the entire scene thus a lot more effective but the brute force nature really hits performance especially modern game engines and how much else gets scaled here even if the results are often very good looking.

Dear Kaldaien,

Is there any interaction between your recent frame rate limiter innovation regarding latency, and the NVIDIA feature Ultra Low Latency (NULL)? Should a user disable NULL if the latency minimization of SpecialK is enabled?

Thank you.

Hey Kal/all,

With the recent posts on Genshin Impact hopefully some of you are still trying to use it. I found it working on release day, but it seems that as of yesterday it’s causing the game to error on loading character. Is anyone else getting the error 31-4302 when using SpecialK? Like I said it only started happening yesterday and is really unfortunate as I love the HDR being produced. I can fix it by launching the game through the GenshinImpact.exe in the main files but it then deletes the dxgi.dll file on loading.

Hoping someone here has ran into this as well and has a fix for it? Also maybe that Kal can look into a fps unlocker if possible :slight_smile:

Here is something new in AMD I didn’t know existed. Maybe its new entirely.

From a few drivers back, think it attempts native 10-bit support particularly for applications such as Adobe whereas for the display settings the 10-bit retains a 8-bit desktop and dithering.

Been a long time since I looked it up though, think there’s some potential drawbacks for enabling this and it does require a reboot.

NVIDIA and AMD used to restrict this stuff for the workstation GPU’s, FirePro for AMD and Quadro for NVIDIA I think but support has been somewhat lifted on desktop cards.
(For D3D, again unsure on some of it such as support under OpenGL here.)

Adaptive sync and HDR might be affected too but I haven’t noticed any issues with adaptive sync / VRR myself when this is active.

HDR should be 10-bit anyway but Windows isn’t exactly the most supporting of this so it’s still 8-bit and the tone mapping and what’s it called the SDR->HDR conversion and support leaves the desktop looking a bit washed out or incorrect when enabled globally though 10+ bit desktop support and support for multiple states (Forgot the name for it again.) might be some future improvement here maybe.

This was a good read: https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/10-bit-video-output.pdf :slight_smile:

Found a fix for Genshin by searching for ReShade solutions. If anyone cares please see below from a post on Reddit.
How I got around it was:

• start the game with Reshade, you should see the top banner of Reshade loading up like usual
  • after the game reaches the main/title screen, where your prompted to click to start, alt-tab out
  • go to the install directory and rename the .dll to a different extension (eg: dxgi.dll.temp)
  • then go back to the game click to start.
  • after exiting game and before next start up, fix .dll back to original.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5091

Another driver update, NVIDIA Hotfix 456.71

https://international.download.nvidia.com/Windows/456.71hf/456.71-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-international.hf.exe
(Standard)

https://international.download.nvidia.com/Windows/456.71hf/456.71-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-international-dch.hf.exe
(DCH)

On windows 8.1 (for disclaimers regarding different behavior on different windows versions, I think for the future people should always say their windows version when reporting a problem)

Regarding version 0.11.0.49 (framerate limiter + new low latency mode features)
I am not able to get it to work with a unity game (dx11) called Rushdown Revolt on steam, Open alpha for a few more days (free to play)

Version 0.48 works perfectly fine, but no matter what I tried I couldn’t seem to get it to work with any of the 5+ different 0.49 DLL’s posted here the last week.

The game loads the first ~1 seconds during the unity splashscreen, then it freezes/hangs when unity splashscreen is finished. Usually when I open up the game with 0.48, it’ll show splashscreen, go black/do something weird for 1 sec, then boot into the starting menu/the game itself.
in 0.49 it stops at

10/02/2020 05:10:26.817: [Input Mgr.] [!] > First Call: NtUserSetCursor_Detour
10/02/2020 05:10:26.817: [Input Mgr.] [!] > First Call: GetCursorPos_Detour
10/02/2020 05:10:30.138: [DLL Loader] ( UnityPlayer.dll ) loaded ’
(then it freezes/hangs crashes)

while in 0.48 it does all this and loads into game from where 0.49 ends:

10/02/2020 05:10:31.663: [ DXGI ] [!] IDXGISwapChain::ResizeTarget ({ (1920x1080@0.0 Hz),fmt=DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM,scaling=0x00,scanlines=0x00 }) – [ UnityPlayer.dll , tid=0x1d28 ]
10/02/2020 05:10:31.663: [ DXGI ] [@] Return: S_OK - < DXGISwap_ResizeTarget_Override >
10/02/2020 05:10:31.663: [ DXGI ] [!] IDXGISwapChain::ResizeBuffers (2,1920,1080,DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM,0x00000042) – [ dxgi.dll < SKX_SetPluginName>, tid=0x1d28 ]
10/02/2020 05:10:31.674: [ DXGI ] [@] Return: S_OK - < DXGISwap_ResizeBuffers_Override >
10/02/2020 05:10:31.675: [ DXGI ] [!] IDXGISwapChain::ResizeTarget ({ (1920x1080@0.0 Hz),fmt=DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM,scaling=0x00,scanlines=0x00 }) – [ UnityPlayer.dll , tid=0x1d28 ]
10/02/2020 05:10:31.675: [ DXGI ] [@] Return: S_OK - < DXGISwap_ResizeTarget_Override >
10/02/2020 05:10:31.675: [ DXGI ] [!] IDXGISwapChain::ResizeBuffers (2,1920,1080,DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM,0x00000042) – [ dxgi.dll < SKX_SetPluginName>, tid=0x1d28 ]
10/02/2020 05:10:31.680: [ DXGI ] [@] Return: S_OK - < DXGISwap_ResizeBuffers_Override >
10/02/2020 05:10:31.681: [Input Mgr.] [!] > First Call: NtUserGetRawInputData_Detour
10/02/2020 05:10:31.682: [Input Mgr.] [!] > First Call: NtUserGetKeyState_Detour
10/02/2020 05:10:32.809: [DLL Loader] ( steam_api64.dll ) loaded ’ C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamclient64.dll’ { ‘SteamAPI_SetTryCatchCallbacks’ }
10/02/2020 05:10:32.810: [Window Mgr] [!] > First Call: PeekMessageW_Detour
10/02/2020 05:10:32.810: [Win32-Pump] Dispatched Message: 200 to Unicode HWND: 131000 while framerate limiting!
10/02/2020 05:10:33.332: [DX11TexMgr] Cached texture was modified (CopySubresourceRegion)… removing from cache! - <UnityPlayer.dll>
10/02/2020 05:10:33.335: [DX11TexMgr] Cached texture was modified (CopySubresourceRegion)… removing from cache! - <UnityPlayer.dll>

Was wanting to try some of the low latency features / flip model instead of exclusive fullscreen in a fighting game like this, felt like it was a good test. As said, the game is in open alpha / free to play on steam right now, so if anyone wants to try 0.49 and see if they can get it to work that’d be cool.