Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Wonder if part of that was from AMD having to redo the games profile or add a secondary one for Vulkan but some of the optimization efforts might have also resulted in some changes and I know they have tweaked the procedural system a fair but but I have not played the game myself since way back with the story update, pathfinder I think it was called.

There’s something like five or six smaller and larger updates and a ton of engine changes.
Might replay the game at some point but last time I just fooled around looking for the weirder exotic type planets. :stuck_out_tongue:

From a quick glance the new procedural system has also resulted in a lot of interesting critters and flora so it’s no longer like there’s a couple of different biomes but you roughly know what to expect from each one even if the layout differs a bit.

EDIT: TXAA is 4x MSAA which breaks depth buffer compatibility in most cases if used with ReShade for Watch_Dogs 2 (And elsewhere.)

Not sure if the games method of upscaling and reconstruction from a lower resolution interferes too I don’t think it would so that should be possible to leave on for performance gains if the image quality is still acceptable.
(There’s a toggle for it I forgot exactly how it worked but close to checkerboard style I think so say half resolution up to native via scaling.)

Thing was I was in the beta of Vulkan and it ran magnificantly and much better. But official release cause huge amounts of performance issues that didn’t exist in the Vulkan build. It didn’t help either that they partially broke native controller support b/c the VR controller implementation caused some serious issues with KB/M and Gamepad Binding ability.

Yeah that caused the screen to go black actually with reshade on. That might explain it.

Edit:
Mafia Definitive Edition has Denuvo in it apparently. Which is interesting lol.

Depth buffer checks and compatibility has also greatly improved in ReShade but it does still use the network check although removing EAC makes it a non-issue as the game is not letting other players randomly join in (If enabled in the game options.) which would otherwise blank the depth buffer too.

EDIT: The various settings are simplified as well for compatibility although the upcoming 4.8.0 seems to be doing a number of naming changes but going by the source commits it does try to change existing settings but preserves the values and options selected so you don’t have to make a completely new core profile.

Oddly enough I always had to turn off EaC b/c ReShade will not boot up in Watch Dogs 2 if its running.

Which I prefer that EAC is turned off b/c I get highly annoyed when random players enter my game and cause havok while I am in a freaking mission and cause me to fail it.

Yep one of the earlier Easy Anti Cheat games so the whitelist is on a per program basis whereas in newer versions the signature on the official release of ReShade just works even as ReShade is updated and after the game (And EAC) stops being updated.

This is curious too since the leaked 3080S / 3080 Ti either has a low performance increase at up to of a 5 - 10% which is nothing but also has the extra VRAM although non-Super or Ti versions are also planned for this.

Or the Ti will be a faster GPU than the 3090 minus a small amount of VRAM while also likely slotting in under the 3090’s price though likely a bit above the 3080 and the 3080 20 GB models.

A up to performance lift around 20 - 25% and the 3080S at a 15 - 20 fits better but the actual gains from the 3090 is ~10% upwards of 15% in some games that scale a bit better with the extra GPU cores.

EDIT: If there’s no major performance gains then the 3080S isn’t really viable over the 3080 and the 3080 20 GB for anyone needing the extra VRAM although I would hope optimization and smart usage of RAM and VRAM becomes more of a thing rather than wasting it because PC systems can have more.

If the refresh of the 3080 does scale above the 3090 then what’s this GPU’s value if the clock speeds makes the Ti/Super faster over having some extra cores but not getting the full performance from it.

Unless it’s just a short lived performance holder for ensuring AMD has a harder time matching it although if AMD is attempting to hit the 3080 with their higher-end Navi20 GPU lineup then the 10% gap to the 3090 isn’t that big though it makes NVIDIA have the fastest card overall if that’s all that matters ha ha.

SO I am downloading Watch Dogs 2 and my anti-virus popped up with a virus notification from the download of the game lol.

Hmm AV as a watchword, hopefully reject means I reject the report not the post. :slight_smile:

EDIT: It’s the Roman dilemma I guess thumbs up for leave alive or send to the gods?
(Or how it worked.)

EDIT: It’s probably supposed to be the other way around isn’t it. Think I’m doing a mistake here.
(In the words of Al Love and Leisure Suit Larry not a wholly unfamiliar feeling…)

EDIT: No the post isn’t hidden or anything it seems to be working as intended.

Hmm interesting:

For some odd reason zero hits. But get this Cylance is showing undetected. Why did mine get triggered o.O

Over zealous software perhaps, wonder if it’s a signature thing on that earlier GeForce .dll file for these effects which for 64-bit can be really sensitive for some programs. :smiley:

Now you mention it, Cylance will flag any file that doesn’t have file signature. Which funnily enough hits every Microsoft app that I download. B/c they don’t use file signatures in window apps lol.

1 Like

@JonasBeckman is there a link to watch the Nier stream from the start? I just got home.

Anyone interested in this game o.O

The Medium was originally announced for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii U in 2012, but for want of better technology,[5] reappeared in May 2020 as a Microsoft Windows and Xbox Series X title, scheduled to be released in the fourth quarter of the year.

This perhaps from the main Era topic I was reading through.

From the bits of info it looks like various gameplay changes and tweaks plus full voice acting have been added.

EDIT: Huh a second Yakuza movie.

Heh wonder if Kiriyu will continue to never kill.

Anyways PQube announcements, Tokyo Games Show and more heh.
Looks like a busy last couple of months of 2020 for gaming and the new console hardware isn’t even out yet.
(Switch Pro also mostly confirmed it seems.)

Well it seems Spiderman game that was on PS4 isn’t getting free upgrades for those who get PS5.

That FRAPS text is hilarious to me. Nothing screams irrelevant like seeing the FRAPS font in 2020.

That said, I suspect if anyone’s going to find a use for all that VRAM in an actual game, I could probably do it :slight_smile: Special K’s HDR stuff is capable of raising VRAM requirements by as much as 6 or 7x if you turn on 8-bit remastering. It needs memory bandwidth and capacity in equal order, so can be way too demanding for some contemporary GPUs.

1 Like

Cheers :slight_smile:

The gameplay looks fun this time, in my opinion anyway. Also the orchestra is coming to blu-ray without an audience, might be interesting.

I knew that frame counter was nostalgic for some reason :smiley:

I don’t.

Steam’s built-in launch parameter fields works fine.

Thanks for answer. It seems I tried reshade and it still won’t inject without crash. And I figured out that the parameters do work just fine in Steam Launch commands. Thanks for the actual parameters needed to be used.