Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

I’d really rather avoid first-person in any documentation. Even the most informal documentation should try to steer clear of it, especially if you’re not even going to bother capitalizing I and the text editor scribbles underneath it and you still ignore it :stuck_out_tongue:

‘We’ is slightly more acceptable, though wording things so that there’s no mention of I, We, They, … usually produces better technical writing. Basically keep everyone out of the discussion except for the person reading this stuff :wink:

Seems about right so far?

Summary

Special K is an advanced tool which fixes and improves games. This guide aims to familiarise users interested in the more advanced features, and is suggested for anyone into graphics modification or looking to boost a game’s performance.

DirectX 11 titles are necessary for the full feature set, but DirectX 9 maintains some support. You can also try your luck with a Directx9 API wrapper to DirectX 11. Other APIs aren’t supported.

You cannot apply shader edits, or change the values of more than one shader simultaneously – more on that later.

Yeah, that looks good except for the aren’t :slight_smile: You seplled out cannot instead of can’t but then where did aren’t come from?

Sorry, I had a really strict editor in graduate school, haven’t had a chance to go grammar Nazi since graduating :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll probably edit anything you submit anyway, so it’s faster if you don’t worry about little things… just steer clear of first-person and we’re good.

Yeah, although “can’t” makes sense, it sometimes sounds awkward and unprofessional in reality, at least to me with the accents we have around here XD Which is why i prefer “cannot” in some cases.

I’d say go for an informal phrasing, and basically lose all of the contractions entirely, so no can't, won't, it's, etc, as well as try to steer away from referencing the reader directly (use third person as much as possible). Another thing is to use [thing] of a game as opposed to a game's [thing].

E.g.

Special K is an advanced tool which fixes and improves games. This guide aims to familiarise users interested in the more advanced features, and is suggested for anyone into graphics modification or looking to boost the performance of a game.

DirectX 11 titles are necessary for the full feature set, but DirectX 9 maintains some support. A third-party DirectX 9-to-11 wrapper (e.g. DgVoodoo 2) can also be used to enable the full feature set for DirectX 9 titles, although success is not guaranteed. Other APIs are not supported.

Shader edits or changing the values of more than one shader simultaneously are not possible – more on that later.

These are some of the writing rules or guidelines we use over on PCGW when writing the more general-purpose articles

Xbox All Access is apparently arriving to Sweden this winter as well… depending on the total cost of it all in SEK, I might just go that way as opposed to purchasing the console alone separately.

It also includes the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, so the PC lineup of games are included as well.

Microsoft has some really interesting offers this time around!

Ohhh!

Now I remember why I wanted Fullscreen Exclusive HDR :slight_smile:

That only works in Fullscreen Exclusive, and it’s really nice to override those (when the driver’s reporting available pixel formats correctly).

You can select an alternate refresh rate / color encoding scheme without screwing around in NvCPL and making changes to the desktop’s settings.

Ooooh, that’s actually really useful. I hate having to use NVCP whenever I want to configure my monitor to run in that weird 12-bit 82 Hz HDR mode or whatever it was that it’s limited to without compression.

Edit:

Frequency Bit depth RGB YCbCr HDR
82 Hz 12-bit RGB 4:4:4 Yes
98 Hz 10-bit RGB 4:4:4 Yes
120 Hz 8-bit RGB 4:4:4 No
120 Hz 12-bit - 4:2:2 Yes
144 Hz 10-bit - 4:2:2 Yes

Who keeps track of that business in the head?! >_< I prefer to use 120 Hz 8-bit non-HDR during regular desktop use, and higher bit depth (but lower refresh rate) when playing games in HDR.

Now Special K only needs a way to force the monitor to enter HDR mode as well, and I’m all set. It’s surprising that Microsoft/Windows doesn’t seem to have an available API to do so yet?

There’s a way to do it (force the desktop into HDR mode) with NvAPI, but the problem is there’s no automatic reversal if the game exits prematurely (crash, etc). Restoring settings at exit is really important when changing desktop settings :stuck_out_tongue:

I think after going into fullscreen exclusive mode, it may be possible to change the Colorspace and engage HDR that way. But you are flying blind if the desktop is not in HDR mode to begin with, because all parts of the DXGI API you use to query display capabilities report your monitor’s SDR capabilities unless the desktop’s got HDR enabled.

Mhm, it’s a shame… :expressionless:

On another note, I finally managed to inject Special K into Watch Dogs 2. It requires global injection and launching the game using -eac_launcher command line parameter.

Despite the command line parameter, EAC is still active “long enough” to take issue with a local install of Special K >_< “Untrusted system file” my ass – piece of crap anti-cheat in a singleplayer game.

1 Like

The older .dll for Far Cry 5 should be compatible (EDIT: The EAC stub file I think Sunbeam worked on from the Cheat Engine forums.) but I don’t remember if I did it like that or not I think I just moved or renamed the EAC folder with EAC for the game uninstalled (That’s going to be a issue otherwise if you don’t do that by running the setup manually since Uplay will by default silently install it.) and then the game starts without EAC loaded at all. :slight_smile:

Minus multiplayer but eh I never used it in the game but that’s the trade-off.
(Far Cry 5 and Ghost Recon Wildlands just go like “Whatever” and work anyway. Breakpoint too though that’s not EAC and is still 100% online only but doesn’t care either if you remove the protection which must be great for online play ha ha.)

EDIT: Love the street art and stuff in the game, story is a bit disjointed because Ubisoft keeps bouncing between various dark humor and memes and more serious matters but the first game was almost all bleak and this upcoming London one seems to be almost all humorous instead. :smiley:

…Wonder what sort of fun thing they’ll jam into Watch_Dogs London to make that cumbersome to use other utilities with.

At least Assassin’s Creed has been fairly free of it and for the rest well they had some event recently with some new reveals and info I think.

Goofy looking Prince of Persia Sands of Time Remaster too.
(Well the character models at least.)

EDIT: So where was anything.
Right EAC which far as I remember keeping it uninstalled should make the command-line argument just work without having the Easy Anti Cheat process or any services hindering things, I think I eventually removed the entire EAC folder for the game but I might have used the 64-bit stub .dll as a extra though I think that was mainly for Wildlands and Far Cry 5 having additional validation on this file as a required startup thing.

Getting Fullscreen Exclusive to work reliably with Flip Model is going to be the death of me :slight_smile:

Neat HDR stuff is possible when it works, but a one-click and done solution just is not possible. Pretty much the same situation Microsoft’s in with “Fullscreen Optimization.”

If it were not for Unreal Engine, this would mostly work. The damn engine won’t take no for an answer and tries to go into fullscreen mode once per-frame.

1 Like

Config editing could help when it’s not a exposed setting but that’s about what I can think of, UE3 it took a few updates for if that’s the bigger problem and not UE4

FullscreenMode=1
LastConfirmedFullscreenMode=1
PreferredFullscreenMode=1

0, 1 and 2 I think is how that works.

Windowed, Borderless and Fullscreen respectively.
And yep there’s one setting for controlling it another for what the last state was and a third for the preferred (default?) state is.

Would assume there’s some way to alter window behavior or the display mode without requiring config editing and for the engine to respect the change and not attempt to modify or alter the state with this once per frame update behavior.

I don’t know if it’s worth mentioning at all, but for UE3 games you can press scroll-lock to trigger between fullscreen and windowed mode instantly.

1 Like

Yeah, they aliased the Windows “Zoom” key to Scroll Lock (normally Windows does its own aliasing to F11, but Epic decided to do things differently).

My old Microsoft Natural keyboard had a rocker switch in the middle that could zoom in/out, for most software it just cycles between minimized and maximized and not at all useful.

In any case, I think I solved the bulk of Unreal Engine issues.

I do not recommend using Fullscreen Exclusive Flip in UE games because Unreal is anal about reference counting resources and unnecessarily causes crashes when alt-tabbing in/out.

SpecialK64.7z (7.6 MB)

I think that should work in most UE engine games and allow you to change resolution settings after enabling HDR using the Widget. Fullscreen Mode is overridden to borderless flip, but you can select alternate resolutions now.

EDIT: Ugh, I did not handle the base case (game configured for fullscreen mode, but HDR not enabled).

[Render.DXGI]
UseFlipDiscard=true
SwapChainWait=1

That’ll fix it.

2 Likes

Silently dropped two days ago, apparently.

Not completely silently. They did send out a notice through their newsletter, plus a really nice discount for the other Disgaea on a few other games they publish to “celebrate.”

Yeah heard about it but the release date was a surprise, think it only misses the third one on Steam now for mostly the full set of main Disgaea games in one form or re-release or remake ha ha. :smiley:

Guessing the port quality also improved though even the first one is fairly playable but it’s been a while since i played the game.
Damage numbers the game!
Well the post-game at least think it was fairly even in the regular story parts.
(~Mostly, I leveled up Flonne a ton in the first game and used her as one of the regulars ha ha.)

EDIT: NISA and their memes again?

Eh might be a actual translation too, perhaps Full Metal Jacket quotes or almost-quotes are just very popular for some reason. :smiley:

@Kaldaien I know you’ve been busy, but I have spoken directly to Alex Battaglia from Digital Foundry, and he told me he is waiting for you to return his email.

1 Like