Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Oops, I am still getting used to having a dedicated E-Mail account for Special K :slight_smile:

Thank you for pointing this out.

Looks like Kingdoms of Amular - Re-Reckoning got update:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning - Hotfix #1 (Update Sept 12)

Hello,
We just deployed a hotfix for a crash when starting without an audio device. As we see from your reports quite a few had this issue.

Update Sept 12:
We released another small update that adds some files that were accidentally missing and might have been causing freezing for example in the quest menu.

We are currently working on more stability fixes and a fix for the issue that enemies just disappear when they are killed which is related to loot thats left in the world. We hope to be able to release this fix finally next week.
1 Like

Bit rougher than I expected, missing game asset files shouldn’t be a thing so glad to see that resolved however that happened and then hotfixes and more stability updates to the game logic coming in.

At least there was a nice discount but that’s not very good although it’s good to see it being resolved little by little. :slight_smile:

Anyone having some scaling issues in the game. I am running 1440p and it looks like the GUI itself is being partially cut off in some areas. Especially on main screen. Tried switching to small but that didn’t fix my issues. In Kingdoms of Amular: re-reckoning.

Wonder if the UI has some fixed resolution assets but they should still scale just look blurrier if they’re 720p or 1080p oriented.
(EDIT: Art images / textures and such stuff, sometimes the font too depending on what that’s done through.)

There’s also DPI scaling as a possible problem if that’s not handled or reported as supported but it’s incorrect but I imagine you’re using 100% for 2560x1440 unless the super-sampling setting does something here to UI elements.

But that would usually mean things like super tiny subtitles.
Could also be a problem if it’s a fixed position of some elements but that should be aspect ratio IE 16:9 not actual resolution or pixel based like 1280x720 or 1920x1080 so that’s interesting.

Without SK with reshade it reported that the resolution was 720p. So I am now wondering if there is a way to rescale Kingdoms of Amular: Re-Reckoning properly. B/c it definitely isn’t touching UI. ANd when I use small UI it makes the bubbles extremely small btw. So it definitely has some sort of affect.

The UI scaling is hit or miss. It’s basically required on 4K (original had no scaling at all so all elements where super tiny), but not all elements scale properly.

I am using small myself but despite that some elements (e.g. quest info) is huuuge!

99% chance this gets canceled, but 3090 has price error here

Looks like some of the discounts I’ve seen here for the 3080’s have also been removed now (The cards could not be pre-ordered early though it seems some stores like Amazon has ignored this.) although the 3070’s are also up now on several sites and these have a some price reductions now instead. (Though smaller although then the cards themselves are also far cheaper than the flagship 3080 and Titan type 3090 in turn.)

Will be fun to see what the reviews show for these, going to sell out quickly I expect but I am really interested in seeing how they perform though the leaked results so far are good, up-to (The usual thing.) 2x the 2080Ti for the 3080 with more normalized results around a 60% upgrade in GPU performance and potentially another 20 maybe 30% on that then for the 3090 with the 3070 probably matching or slightly exceeding the 2080Ti but now at a much lower price point making for a excellent high end GPU and great upgrade for the 1060 GPU owners up to the 2070 and AMD’s 500 Polaris series.
(Costs a little bit more at least here but that’s a good performance upgrade for what it costs at about half of the cost of the 3080 card.)

2080, not the 2080 Ti.

Based on leaked benchmarks, 3080 performs some 20-30% faster than the 2080 Ti or somewhere in the ballpark of that.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-synthetic-and-gaming-performance-leaked

1 Like

Huh, I can see now where the confusion came from… I didn’t notice it at the time, but this “scale” shown in the below presentation is in terms of “GTX 980” performance…

The RTX 3080 is about 1x “GTX 980” faster than the “RTX 2080 Ti”…

Wow… Talk about obfuscating the data. Still interesting, to be sure, but… how does a single GTX 980 related to whatever scenario they tested to create the below slide?

1 Like

Oh maybe that’s why it got a bit confusing on how it compares performance wise and also for how I misunderstood it from misreading the main 2x 2080 GPU performance image NVIDIA posted and then this.

Well I guess the staples of relative performance scaling (Does it really have to start at zero? :stuck_out_tongue: ) wasn’t cutting it any more ha ha.

EDIT: Where’s the 2080 anyway on that chart there’s just the Super refresh and then the 2080 Ti off over to the side on the price/performance(?) slider of however this is to be read?
(The 980 being at 1x I suppose and from there but err yeah I don’t know really how that’s to be viewed.)

I get four and a half of the 980’s dollar driven performance for a 3080??
Ha ha. Eh it’s a good really fast GPU and the 3070 in particular really makes for a aggressive price point which likely also makes AMD’s Navi20 GPU lineup a bit of a performance/price competitive edge.

I expect AMD to have a hard time matching their own flagship Navi21 as aggressively this time since it’s a high-end GPU product unlike Navi10 / 5700 but that’s not until AMD actually provides some info which won’t be until almost November.

I didn’t even know PNY made GPUs. The only thing that comes to mind with that brand are memory cards.

Ironically, I actually briefly owned 4x GTX 980s back in the day. Apparently if SLI scaled perfectly, they’d be about even with a stock 2080 Ti? :slight_smile:

There’s what that frankenfish looked like. Mind you, this is only 3-way. There’s a reason I didn’t keep the 4th GTX 980 :stuck_out_tongue:

That was just enough of a GPU sandwich to make The Witcher 3 run max’d at 4K/60 FPS. My GTX 1080 outperformed 4-way SLI in just about every game, so that graph is misleading :slight_smile:

Speaking of which, here’s basically the reason SK has hardware monitoring features.

I wasn’t getting sensible readings from MSI Afterburner, so I built my own DXGI memory tracker.

The water cooled Colorful one looks pretty neat but I don’t know anything about it other than it’s looks.

Mostly seen dual and triple fan solutions so it’s neat to see some water kits already but reviews will show how these actually perform and then there’s also NVIDIA’s own binned Founder GPU models with a possibility for maybe a water block on top of it depending on what the PCB looks like.

EDIT:

Well it’s different alright. I can see where all the bits are but not quite how the upper-under cooler fits in here (But there’s a video on it which I presume is more than blowing additional hot air directly over the RAM+CPU components. :stuck_out_tongue: ) plus this odd barely held up V cutout thing.

EDIT: Ah it’s mostly extra airflow is it.

Reminds me of what Sapphire did for some of their Nitro variants having the cooler extend over the PCB for additional thermal transfer although the fan layout NVIDIA uses is quite different in their design here.

EDIT: And how this is going to work.

Suppose those are heat pipes going to to the back end of the second fan here.
Interesting. :slight_smile:

Also probably rough on poorer cooled case designs and sub-optimal fan and airflow designs but it’s a interesting thing NVIDIA has made of it here.

So the GPU and then these other V fins for the VRAM(?) transferred both out the usual blower way and also with this design to the other end of the GPU and … well it’s going somewhere hopefully out top or back past the CPU fan and stuff. :smiley:

EDIT: Or into the PSU for the top mounted variants of that, well reviews will probably clear up how well this works and how the optimal case airflow and config works or there’s the third party designs.
(Suppose dividing the two streams - instead of combining or at worst crossing them. ~ - overall airflow and cooling efficiency improves with this design.)

1 Like

Yeah, NVIDIA clearly has given up on SLI. They’ve gone from blower fans on their reference cards to whatever the hell this new thing is that circulates hot air from the CPU :slight_smile:

I don’t see this being a winning design in all honesty, my Ryzen 3900x runs at > 80C under full load and my RTX 2080 Ti never breaks 45C. There’s no cool air to be found the direction they’re blowing.

Hmm, going back through years and years of my Steam artwork…

Seems I’ve come full circle :slight_smile:

This is what I’m trying to build now with my latest work. My framerate limiter got progressively higher latency over the years while I was perfecting it, I never even noticed.

Funny, I made a post analyzing this last week. Just pretend that 980 = 100 fps

1080 Ti at 2.25x = 225 = 2.25x faster than 980
2080 Ti at 3.3x = 330 = 1.46x faster than 1080 ti
3080 at 4.5x = 450 = 1.36x faster than 2080 ti

3 Likes

That is some nice gains there! I’m excited to use this in all my games if that 3080/3090 ever comes here.

What’s even more amazing here is that my refresh rate is 50 Hz and these results are with VSYNC on :slight_smile:

A 75 FPS target @ 50 Hz display scan-out would be suicide in D3D9 or DXGI BitBlt, but Flip Model lets me implement frame queuing myself. That’s why I’m able to get profoundly better results in D3D11 / D3D12 than RTSS. D3D9, GL and Vulkan framerate limiting’s probably about equal.