Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

@Aemony
Did you see Control is on GOG?
I’m kinda surprised tbh!

Mhm, I was the same when I first heard of the announcement a while back. But it makes sense though, and I hope we’ll see more modern games do such a move to GOG as well.

This looks awesome:

But it appears they did it again – if you want the full experience, buy new 360 Hz (WTF?!) G-Sync monitors. Nevermind the $2,000 G-Sync HDR monitor you already own uses a freaking FPGA and NV should try extend these features back a little bit.

Also, and again … 360 Hz … WTF?!

I think at those speeds the eye can only detect changes in brightness, color and motion are perceived at much slower speeds. We could stop at 240 Hz and then just render > refresh Hz and throw out all but the newest frame and that would be every bit the same experience for 98% of the population as these additional 120 frames.

That said,

The SDK is something I will try to integrate into Special K. I have a feeling NV’s license terms are going to be not compatible, so it’ll probably have to be a standalone plug-in or something. No biggie, I’ve done it before (for Tobii eye tracker).

I think I pretty much nailed framerate stability with SK’s framerate limiter, so now I’m focused on latency… seems I picked a good time to suddenly start caring about latency, lol. That SDK is a game changer and if I can integrate it into my framerate limiter, it’ll be unstoppable.

Thought it needed game side implementation but I guess if that would be doable it could be interesting.
Also thought the refresh rate advantage was way higher (1000’s) with advantages into the 600’s gradually reducing and eliminating motion blur though I can’t imagine any GPU hitting actual 300+ FPS even on lower settings it’s going to be if not GPU then CPU bound but it’s a interesting feature and I guess we’ll see how the hardware looks like. :slight_smile:

Uh… what do you think Special K is? :slight_smile:

I inject code into your game and do beneficial things on its behalf, lol. Whenever you see “needs game implementation,” that is code for either the game does it or Special K does it, but it’s happening one way or the other :stuck_out_tongue:

Well it could work, was thinking if it wasn’t too problematic NVIDIA would have had it as a on/off thing in the control panel directly themselves so you’d get the benefit in everything not a game specific SDK and implementation in a couple of games to begin with. :slight_smile:

We’ll see I suppose. Will be fun if it does work.

EDIT:

So it’d be a global thing not limited to a few titles and integration through a specific SDK.

EDIT: Plus the hardware requirement of course at least for the full benefit here.

EDIT: Or I’m confusing myself again because I see there’s overlay bits and GeForce Experience mentioned in addition to the bit about G-Sync display hardware and game support through the SDK.

Hmm.

I always thought roughly 300fps would be the point of diminishing returns, at least for me. Don’t know how much it could differ on a per user basis. Though i don’t think i’ve witnessed anything at above 144fps, so i can’t say anything with certainty.

That being said, i don’t think any system can even push most games to 240fps. Mostly just the esports titles.

There’s a topic on Guru3d with input from Blur Busters about it. Think it’s this.

Pong is probably a good candidate for super high refresh gaming… it’s just a monochrome blob moving across the screen really fast (fast by 1970s standards). Once you add color into the equation and have to track an object based on color, the eyes really don’t do so great with motion.

Rods and Cones have different reaction time.

Uh, WTF? Is that the Sweedish Chef in the thumbnail image? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah Hilbert’s avatar and yeah the Sesame street character as I learned was a thing later ha ha.

Who’d use a Swedish chef though we’re not quite Iceland (Hákarl shark.) but there’s a few less than famous dishes originating from here…

Minor note, I edited your post to remove the spaces at the beginning of each paragraph so that the vertical scroll was eliminated (who wants to scroll to read a quotation, lmao).

1 Like

Yeah I’m still trying to get the hang of that, I can mostly remove the red text now but I haven’t caught up much with the other features this forum code has and what’s best to use. :slight_smile:

Yeah, the combination of supporting both Markdown and BBCode tend to do that :slight_smile:

I usually just stick with either one of them.

Basically

four empty spaces at the beginning
is the shorthand for a codeblock (otherwise invoked by using ` ` for an inline codeblock or ``` ``` for a multi-line codeblock)

Codeblocks don't have any line wrapping, so if the test goes past the width of the content are you'll instead see a scrollbar appear at the bottom.

The BBCode alternative for a codeblock is just [code] [/code]

derp

Quotations through Markdown is handled using > at the start of the sentence instead, which is basically the same as BBCode’s [quote] [/quote]

Markdown: > Lipsum

Lipsum

BBCode: [quote]Ipsum[/quote]

Implemented HDR for games running in Fullscreen Exclusive, BTW.

Not sure why this matters, but it’ll be a thing in v 0.11.0.49 :stuck_out_tongue:

It still requires Flip Model + Fullscreen, which is a difficult thing to get working. I guess if nothing else, I can stop forcing windowed mode overrides when the HDR widget turns on HDR.

If Microsoft had the foresight to make HDR mode something that can be turned on only for Fullscreen Exclusive mode, then this would be a bigger milestone than it is, but it’s still necessary to run the desktop in HDR for any of this to work :frowning:

Thought that was already possible? Or at least it is in ROTTR.

I haven’t actually tried fermented herring yet… However pickled herring is basically a guarantee on each holiday down here in Scania. It’s probably our Danish roots that are the result of that :slight_smile:

And yeah, Sweden is weird… I especially always found it weird when I was younger whenever caviar was mentioned as some form of luxury thing in Hollywood movies and TV shows, and then here in Sweden we basically ate a form of caviar on top of sandwiches for breakfast.

Also, I really can’t stop laughing at these commercials: :laughing:

Los Angeles (Americans):

New York (basically a bunch of Swedish tourists on vacation enjoying a piece of home):

1 Like

Huh, interesting. I probably won’t use it myself, but it’s cool that it’s a supported option.

Actually, I just realized… this is a very important feature for Unreal Engine games. They don’t normally work correctly unless you force them into borderless window before using the HDR widget. That whole mess won’t be necessary anymore.

I’m assuming it doesn’t matter, but is first person formatting okay for the Shaders & Texture guide? Aka