Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

I have actually removed SK from the equation and I repeat. The Steam Overlay is broken. It doesn’t boot up in the game. breaking 100% of my controller being able to be used.

For SpecialK it might work to disable D3D11 in the SpecialK config file same as how it goes for Horizon Zero Dawn but if that works you get the same drawbacks as well with how D3D12 support is still work in progress.

Unsure about the overlay though, don’t think anything in the Steam beta addresses API compatibility it’s been mostly input and small tweaks and support for EA Play’s subscription model as of the most recent update there.

EDIT: Other overlays or software could be a problem perhaps, including AMD’s own desktop overlay and overlay services for those.

I did do that and it just locks up and I am forced to look for exe in Resource Monitor and end task it there. B/c it somehow doesn’t close.

Edit:
I have all other overlays disabled. Including AMD’s. And when I did boot up game without SK it did boot up properly but it broke Steam Overlay. Which actually caused some serious issue with my controller no longer working.

Unless it’s a driver compatibility problem the only thing I can think of would be the third party software and problematic hooks for D3D12 and a conflict with multiple software.

ReShade, WIndows10, Steam, AMD, Some sound thing, some mouse/keyboard thing and so on. :smiley:
Tweaks for AMD’s driver settings shouldn’t apply for D3D12 or Vulkan so it’s unlikely to be that.

Okay guys I found a fix for this issue. And its very easy to do. Let me explain all you have to do is add -DX12 to command line arguments in Steam. It will bootup game as DX12. That simple.

That has to be added so Steam Overlay works. If it isn’t added Control will have no support for Controllers since Steam Overaly breaks.

That sounds almost like the D3D12 API didn’t initialize properly although isn’t the Steam one D3D11on12 anyway so it’s kinda D3D11 but it goes into D3D12 from there.

Interesting. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Nothing on Steam DB either, just the launcher and from there it takes over.
(Launching either exe directly should just go into D3D11 or D3D12 from there.)

@Aemony

Here is the fix.

The text file is no longer in the games folder lol. For steam API. So all you have to do is use that launch command argument. -DX12 and it will boot up the game as DX12.

Edit:
Now I will see if I can get SK to work and ReShade as well.

Edit2:
This is where I found the fix:

Point out that I launched from Control.exe / Launcher.

Edit3:
Yeah SK brings up error about device being removed or rather control does and causes crash. So can’t play DX12 with SK.

@JonasBeckman
Looks like your theory about going from DX11 to DX12 is correct. That would explain the removed Device error that the game just threw when I tried booting it with SK. lol. Go figure.

Using DX12 in Control upped my fps a bit. From 40s to high 50s almost solid 60 at 1440p. Maxed settings except I turned off MSAA. I have no need for it in the game.

Here is kicker without reshade I am hitting 63 fps now. lol. So yeah its quite a difference from DX11 to DX12.

EA Play subscription service is now available on Steam. Only the basic tier seems to be available – the Pro tier (see the difference on Origin) is exclusive to Origin it seems like.

But then the Pro tier costs like 4 times as much as the basic tier… Jeez…

Edit: Well… too good to be true, it seems like. Purchasing EA Play on Steam only gives you access to a very limited selection of EA Play titles that are available on Steam. For example, Tropico 5 and 6 are included on EA Play on Origin, but not on EA Play on Steam.

There’s also seemingly no way to have the EA Play purchase recognized on Origin either, weirdly enough, so you don’t get access to the games there either.

Basically: keep away from this service for now… :expressionless:

Btw, for those of you interested in networking and global Internet outages (if there are any here besides me), then CloudFlare have written an analysis of yesterday’s outage:

https://blog.cloudflare.com/analysis-of-todays-centurylink-level-3-outage/

That doesn’t make any sense.

Adaptive Sync is designed to turn off V-Sync when you’re under your refresh rate. Fast Sync is designed to turn off (the limiting behavior of) V-Sync when you’re above your refresh rate.

You’d be better off turning V-Sync off completely than having the driver switch between tearing and unlimited framerate as your framerate bounces all over the map (which it will with nothing slowing the GPU down).

:conwayshrug:

Above refresh rate:

Unlike VSync, Enhanced Sync doesn’t lock the frame rate maximum to the display’s refresh rate. Instead, it uncaps the frame rate to reduce latency in exchange for some mild tearing.

Below refresh rate:

When your GPU can’t output frames at the same pace as your monitors refresh rate, Enhanced Sync prioritizes decreased stutter over eliminating tearing. That is, where Vsync strives to remove tearing completely, Enhanced sync allows occasional tearing instead of allowing the GPU to repeat the previous frame and introduce a momentary stutter.

Adaptive Sync does the same thing :slight_smile:

Adaptive Sync + Flip Model w/ +1 backbuffers would basically be what you are describing. Of course Adaptive Sync was only ever implemented in OpenGL and as a driver hack.

Sure would be nice if D3D had gotten adaptive sync.

I’m confused, i thought that was an option in the NVCP? At least it has been for a few years or am i misremembering.

I’ve… lost the conversation. I was under the impression that Adaptive V-Sync was available for Direct3D as well ?

From what i can tell, i think the confusion between Enhanced Sync and Fast Sync, is that Fast Sync eliminates tearing when you’re out of your G Sync range (whether you’re below or above) - Enhanced Sync is the same when above the Freesync range, but it’s okay with some tearing when it’s below the Freesync range. At least based off what i’m reading here.

Nope. In OpenGL you can use it by setting the Swap Interval to -1, in Direct3D you can use it if you tell your users to go @#$% around in their driver’s control panel because it’s not part of the D3D API.

BTW, you know that debug info I added to the frame pacing widget? ( No of course you don’t because I forgot to mention I added it :stuck_out_tongue: )

I’m adding computed “effective FPS” and slowing the rate of change so that you can actually see it.

This is the framerate as it would be if:

1. driver overhead were 0
  2. the framerate limiter were turned off

It’s not an accurate measure of anything, but gives an idea how much actual work is going on to help distinguish between an easy 60 FPS and a barely hitting 60 FPS scenario.

→ Right click the frame pacing widget while the Control Panel is open, and there’s a checkbox in the left-corner to turn the debug view on.

1 Like

Ooh we’re nearing the keynote

The Adaptive Vsync i’m thinking of, is the one where Vsync is disabled when you’re not reaching your target frame rate. That’s been a thing for D3D games, at least for D3D11.

https://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync/technology

But i’m guessing that’s not true adaptive sync/not the same as what you’re talking about?

Ohhhh… Now I get it. I was speaking purely as to how Nvidia’s Adaptive V-Sync and Fast Sync features compared to AMD’s Enhanced Sync.

I believe AMD technically also allows users to enable “Adaptive V-Sync” in their drivers for D3D, but they call it Dynamic V-Sync.

I was not really talking about the Direct3D API itself.

Ooooooooooooooo!