Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Isn’t it like a 2% performance difference when using dx12 for Navi? At least based on comparisons I remember. You won’t even notice a difference in performance between the two APIs, but I can check again to be sure.

And depending on the Reshade preset, it might not be difficult to port or make similar settings in unofficial reshade which supports HDR.

Does AMD have an equivalent feature to NVIDIA FastSync yet? I want to include this concept in my discussion of VSYNC, but need to know I’m not alienating some portion of the PC gaming market discussing a feature they have never heard of or fiddled with.

This actually sounds like a cool feature, hopefully means it’s usable across existing PC games

Enhanced sync?

I’m seeing a lot of marketing fluff on that topic, but nothing concrete that says to me it’s the same thing as FastSync :frowning:

I’d expect “buffer flip” to be in the description of anything equivalent to FastSync, but all I’m reading is “this reduces input latency, blah blah blah.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Both fast sync and enhanced sync are used to avoid screen tearing when out of freesync or g-sync bounds iirc, without capping frame rates to your max monitor refresh.

Ah, there we go …

Half way down the page, where nobody will see it, “buffer flip.” They’re the same :wink:

It’s currently a bit wonky though as the 19.7 drivers introduced some stability issues but I don’t know how prevalent these are at the moment.

( https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-8-3 )

I guess the claim of improved input lag comes from the improvements vs regular Vsync techniques (not capping to monitor refresh).

Yeah, this is just the driver’s equivalent of what Special K has been doing for years with flip model and extra back buffers + wait-free buffer swap :slight_smile:

NVIDIA and AMD just kinda copied me, I should be flattered.

Problem is, when they copied me, they forgot that it’d be a good idea to couple infinite framerate rendering with a high-precision framerate limiter. So they got this only half right.

Probably a good idea to leave that last tidbit out of my series of articles, lol. Technically, I was 2 or 3 years ahead of NVIDIA, but I’ll keep that to myself :slight_smile:

So its supposed to be used in conjunction with Freesync? Does it get rid of the flickering in games?

So I ran DX12 for Control and Controller doesn’t get detected. Another interesting thing is not even Steam’s Overlay shows up in the game either. Which is quite odd actually. I didn’t press anything to bring up SK so that’s not the issue.

Edit: Can’t seem to get DX12 mode to boot up in Control on steam. Using the txt file fix and such.

AMD’s Enhanced Sync is basically Nvidia’s Adaptive V-Sync combined with Fast Sync.

Yup I can’t for some reason boot up Control in DX12 mode at all. It just locks up on bootup. And it does something weird as well. Screenshot_1832

Pulling this up? Why is it trying to boot up that?

Edit:
Disabled SK and now I get the Steam Overlay not working. And it no longer detects my controller.

They’re technically solutions to different problems. ‘Enhanced Sync’ (and Nvidia’s Fast Sync) is primarily meant to eliminate tearing above the refresh rate, while falling back to V-Sync off (screen tearing) when the frame rate falls below the refresh rate. This is because they want to ensure the lowest possible input latency.

FreeSync, however, much like G-Sync, is intended to eliminate tearing below the refresh rate.

And unless something have changed recently there’s no reason for anyone ever to use either Nvidia’s Fast Sync or AMD’s Enhanced Sync as both of those requires the frame rate to run at a multiplier of 2-3x the refresh rate before the micro-hitches gets removed and the real latency improvements are shown.

Finally figured it out. I had to delete the SteamAPP id txt file and now its booting up DX12. lol. For Control.

Are you sure about that? The steam_appid.txt file is the only file that allows the executables to be run directly. Removing that file (or not having it at all) will trigger the executables to trigger the Steam client to run the launcher the “normal” way which then on some systems defaults to running the DX11 version.

Erebus, for example, had that issue until I helped him create that file, as without the steam_appid.txt file the DX12 executable would just launch the DX11 version constantly.

Okay well with it in the file directory the Steam Overlay is entirely broken. It won’t show up on my end meaning my controller won’t work either. Also SK seems to not play nicely with DX12 if run. And I think you are right. B/c its booting up the DX11 executiable instead in Resources panel in Task manager.

@Aemony
Look up a few posts. Notice the picture? with that file in the directory that’s what shows up in task manager on my end. Maybe this isn’t workable with AMD card.

Erebus have an AMD card.

Special K isn’t compatible with DX12 in this game so if you had it enabled be sure to remove its DLL file when launching DX12.