Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Was some renders or leaks of it earlier along with the Gainward “Phoenix” looking good for the 3090 at least until the pricing is revealed but I do expect it to be the fastest on the market since it’s essentially a 3000 / Ampera “Titan” GPU.

EDIT: Although if AMD’s Navi2 can poke the 3070 maybe 3080 performance range even if it requires full Navi10 type cards there is a chance the 3080Ti or almost a 3090 / Titan could be a response from NVIDIA though likely closer to 12 or 14 GB GDDR4 not the big 24 GB.

That does look nice, but nothing beats the more recent MSI Twin Frozr designs for me (the red and black coolers).

Yeston 580

Surprisingly good too but their triple fan 5700 card “Anime” model is overall underwhelming even agianst several dual fan models.
(Import and such also makes them a poor choice for time and additional costs but the Cool Cat 580 delivered.)

EDIT: It’s a bit closer to an actual cat once powered up though, aka not quite as docile.

There’s also the XFX uhh, Thicc 2

Though it doesn’t perform well, last i checked.

Yep they had to make a Thicc3 and even give the cooler upgrade as a swap in or free DIY solution due to it being one of the worse custom models.

There’s also Sapphire 5700 Pulse “BE” taking ques from the “Slow Edition” Geforce 4 SE back in the day by being a overall worse 5700 Pulse model with terrible binning as well.
(TDP akin to the higher factory overclocked models - 220 watt I think it was? - but clocks averaging 1600 Mhz speeds I think is which is terrible.)

I want this to be a thing too

Perhaps not the best colour palette, but it can’t be denied the cooling would be insane.

1 Like

Well that’s fitting considering the amount of user made GPU cooler mods that do fit Noctua fans over the GPU die along with heatsinks and thermal pads for VRM’s and memory modules to great effect, Noctua even makes black color fans now for people who don’t want the traditional tan/brown scheme much as their fans are really good and their customer support and upgrade policy excellent. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Typos and grammar.
Still better than abbreviations and short text typing like SMS’s and social quick messaging. So far. :smiley:

Yeah, my GPU is fitted with the redux 120mm fans.

I’m probably going to do the same as I did back when 1080 Ti was released – wait for early review impressions regarding cooling performance and noise during load, and then (if the Swedish price isn’t too high) order one of those with best results in that regard.

I’d rather have a GPU that is silent (or at least somewhat quiet) under heavy load than one that sounds like a lawnmower.

Yeah, acoustics and thermals matter most. I guess after that, the power limit for overclocking potential, should you care to overclock.

There seems to be rumours of 20gb variants of the 3080 arriving a little after the 10gb model, which is worth watching out for if you’re not getting the 3090.

Edit: Next gen GPUs should be super exciting. I feel Nvidia are aiming to repeat Pascal’s hype and success, while AMD actually potentially manages to compete properly for the first time in years, or at least closes the massive gap by quite a bit.

They probably just don’t know of your existence. You should try to reach out to them, and get them to do a video, that would be a huge boost to your visibility!

Yeah, I was completely kidding. I know that nobody has ever heard of Special K outside of the Steam forums, JRPGs and a few other niche use-cases.

Realistically, I have enjoyed that RTSS gets mentioned and I do not for one simple reason… RTSS is practically idiot proof.

Special K can do some damn amazing things, but it is hit or miss whether getting it working in its full glory will be as simple as clicking 2 or 3 buttons or if I am going to need to step in and look at a game (e.g. Flight Simulator, Control, HZD).

Until I can build an idiot-proof shell, it’s better that SK remain discussed only between power users.

I know you have always been a smoothness over latency guy, but be careful in the public eye to not throw latency too much under the bus, for a lot of people, they view latency > all.

Believe me, I don’t intend to.

The discussion of V-Sync, the way I want to do it, requires discussing the actual behavior of buffer swaps. This brings us to triple-buffered V-Sync and the two distinctly different ways of doing it. Once you go beyond 2 buffers with V-Sync and introduce flip model, latency penalties stop being a thing :slight_smile:

Sadly, that other form of triple-buffering (the one that adds latency) is the one most game engines would use if you forced triple-buffering on.

The reason that RTSS gets mentioned is because FRAPS has been abandonware for almost 8 years. There are still idiots out there who use FRAPS, but everyone else needed new software to use to display framerate, and RTSS has been that solution for a decade. Most people don’t understand frametimes… but people for the most part understand framerate. They’ve got a decade of word of mouth.

If you play the long game, providing superior software, and getting the public eye from trusted Tech Sources always referring to you, you can be the next RTSS that everyone installs on their gaming computer.

This is going to be the key to gaining critical mass, without a billion support questions. 95% of the user base, will be looking for just a way to cap their framerates to be smooth, and maybe display some statistics like the framerate and frametime graph.

RTSS just works out of the box in 99% of games without too much configuration, and without having to start any process, they can just turn on “start with windows”, set a hotkey, and never touch it again. And then the other 5% actually dig into the deeper features, even RTSS has a deeper feature set that almost no one uses.

To drive that point home even more… I just wrote a setup.txt file to go in the ReadMe directory that Special K has had for the past 5 years :slight_smile:

What was in that directory before? A text document talking about console commands and variables that nobody uses. I’ve been flying way over the heads of everyone, ignoring the most basic and uniniteresting parts of the software. It’s been doomed from day one to be more complicated than needed for widespread adoption.

That’s why I’ve actually convinced myself the best thing I can do for the entire community is rip pieces of Special K off into standalone open source libraries and let people build my components into their more user-oriented software.

Framerate limiter’s the natural place to start with this, but it could potentially be extended to HDR. Offer various HDR services such as vidcap, screenshots, image visualization, etc.

If your use case is only gaming, 20GB is just a way to burn extra money, 10GB is more than plenty even for next gen. Remember, that even though PS5 and XSX have 16GB, only 13.5 of that is usable for games, and it is shared with the CPU.

Even Flight Simulator 2020, if you run at 4k, all settings maxed out, it uses only 8GB of VRAM over even New York City. The number in rivatuner is higher, as it will cache as much of the spare VRAM as it has, but it wont increase performance. You can turn on the developer frame rate overlay, and see the real number of the VRAM it is using.

Needs a ton of polish, but this is something that should have been written years ago :slight_smile: I just worry that with the pace of development and planned integration with Microsoft Store and Epic Game Store, I’m going to have to re-write this a few times.

Yeah, why do you think I have to ask you a million questions how your software works :rofl:, and I am the 0.05% of your users, I’ve followed the development for at least 3 years now, I read technical documents and whitepapers for fun, and I still feel like I lack a grasp of what each setting really does.