Draft Install / Uninstall Guide for Inclusion in SpecialK\ReadMe

To install Special K:
=====================

Begin by creating the following directory:

[   Documents\My Mods\SpecialK\   ]

>> This new directory is Grand Central Station for Special K! <<

@ You are encouraged to take a minute or two to review
     Special K's directory structure prior to installation.

Overview of Data Stored in "Documents\My Mods\SpecialK":
--------------------------------------------------------

* Per-game Configuration Settings

+ Steam Games:     ( Profiles\<Localized Application Name>\*.ini )
   + Non-Steam Games: ( Profiles\<NameOfGame.exe>\*.ini             )

* Shared preferences

+ Steam Enhancements ( Global\steam.ini  )
   + Keyboard Macros    ( Global\macros.ini )
   + OSD / Widgets      ( Global\osd.ini    )
   + Injection Control

# White/Blacklist  ( Global\{white|black}list.ini )
      \
       ) Injection white/blacklists are a line-delimited list of Reg.Exp. patterns
       ) that match executable filenames or partial paths, see SKIF for more details.

* Plug-Ins
   --------
  + Official    (PlugIns\Official)    [ Unmodified Off-the-Shelf Products]
  + Unofficial  (PlugIns\Unofficial)  [ Have Exclusive Special K Features]

* CEGUI

> Not included in any downloaded archive of Special K, this directory will
     be created by Special K the first time you turn its text OSD on.

* Drivers

> Isolated copies of system DLLs that are not normally thread-safe (i.e. dbghelper.dll)
     are stored here so that games and Special K can both safely use the thread unsafe DLL.
   > WinRing0 may also be unpacked if you turn on advanced CPU hardware monitoring.

* Version

+ Information about the currently installed version, as well as backup copies of old
     versions are stored here for any version control enabled mod / component of Special K.

* ReadMe

+ Yes, you do appear to be Reading Me... thank you! :)

Installation (assuming SKIF.exe was included and you were not a Steam beta tester):
============
  > If you have a license for the Steam version, skip past this section. <

Extract the contents of this archive to "Documents\My Mods\SpecialK\", replacing any DLLs
   left-over from a previous installation. 

A bare minimum install will include the following files:

* SKIF.exe  (Code Injection Utilty)
    ========
   * SpecialK32.dll  (32-bit version of Special K)
   * SpecialK64.dll  (64-bit version of Special K)

* A directory called "Servlets"  (stores runlevel and scripts to start SK at LogOn)

Additional files you may see:

* SpecialK{32|64}.pdb  (Debug Symbols to improve the level of detail in crash logs)

+  You may delete the Debug Symbols to save disk space, the software will
       work the same with or without.

Create a shortcut to SKIF.exe and you are done installing Special K :)

XXX =================================================
XXX Installation for Steam Licensed Special K Testers

+ Special K is no longer distributed through Steam, however, your beta license allows you
     to install and run SK from ( SteamApps\common\SpecialK\ ) and doing so will accumulate
       played hours in the Steam version.

# No better way to show your support for Special K than to be one of the few thousand users
      with a Steam license racking up playing time in an ultra rare application your friends
        can never play. You will be the envy of everyone :)

> On a serious note, you have the option of installing to that directory or to the normal
      "Documents\My Mods\SpecialK," but you should take care not to wind up with Special K
        installed in both locations.  ( Pick one, and only one place for SK!! )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Uninstall Special K
======================

Oh noes!

Sorry to see you go; if a technical issue prompted this, did you first swing by the
   Special K forums (https://special-k.info) and try to get assistance with your problem?

We are happy to help if we can.

---
 Whatever your reason, uninstalling Special K is as simple as:

1. Stop Global Injection Service
  2. Delete Servlets subdirectory from Install Path ( Default = Documents\My Mods\SpecialK )
  3. Delete SKIF.exe and SpecialK{32|64}.{pdb|dll}

Many additional files will linger after doing this, they are harmless and isolated to the
  subdirectories where SKIF.exe was located.

If you really want to do a full uninstall, which will wipe any Steam HDR screenshots, and
    customized game configuration, you may nuke the entire "Documents\My Mods\SpecialK" directory.

>> Note that if Global Injection was active prior to performing the steps listed above,
         some or all of the directory structure may be locked by a program that still has
         Special K's DLL loaded.

Logging out and back in should release all directory locks and allow you to finish a
         complete wipe of Special K.

Registry Keys:   We've got em; sounds like you don't want em...
  *************    ----------------------------------------------

Special K (SKIF mostly) stores a few registry keys in the HKCU System Registry Hive:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Kaldaien\Special K\..."

Delete those too if you are truly determined to eradicate all traces of Special K; yeesh! :)

Para instalar Special K:

Empieza creando el directorio siguiente:

[   Documentos\My Mods\SpecialK\   ]

Este nuevo directorio es la Gran Estacion Central para Special K! <<

@ Se recomienda que te tomes un minuto o dos para revisar
la estructura de directorios de Special K’s antes de instalarlo.

Vista general de datos almacenados en “Documentos\My Mods\SpecialK”:

• Configuración de parámetros por juego

• Juegos de Steam: ( Profiles<Nombre local de la aplicación>*.ini )
    • Juegos de otras plataformas: ( Profiles<Nombre_del_juego.exe>*.ini )
  • Preferencias compartidas

• Mejoras de Steam ( Global\steam.ini )

• Macros de teclado ( Global\macros.ini )

• OSD / Widgets ( Global\osd.ini )

• Control de inyección

Lista blanca/Lista negra ( Global{white|black}list.ini )

) La inyección en lista blanca/negra es una lista de patrones de RegEx delimitados por línea
      ) que coincide con nombres de ejecutables o rutas parciales, vea SKIF para mayores detalles.

• Plug-Ins

• Oficial (PlugIns\Official) [ Productos listos para usar no modificados]
  • No oficial (PlugIns\Unofficial) [ Tiene propiedades exclusivas de Special K]
  • CEGUI

No incluido en ningún archivo descargado de Special K, este directorio será
    creado por Special K la primera vez que enciendas el OSD.

• Controladores (drivers)

Copias aisladas de DLL’s de sistema que normalmente no son “thread-safe”
    (es decir: dbghelper.dll) son almacenadas acá para que los juegos y Special K
    puedan usar con seguridad DLL’s que son thread unsafe.
    Si enciendes monitoreo avanzado de hardware de CPU, WinRing0 tambien puede ser extraído.

• Version

• Información de la version actualmente instalada, así como copias de respaldo de versiones
      antiguas son almacenadas acá para el control de versiones de cualquier componente / mod
      de Special K
  • Léeme

• Si, parece que me estas leyendo… gracias! :slight_smile:

Instalación (asumiendo que SKIF.exe fue incluído y que no eres un beta tester de Steam):

Si tientes una licencia para la versión de Steam, sáltate esta sección. <

Extrae el contenido de este archivo en "Documentos\My Mods\SpecialK", replazando cualquier DLLs
dejados por instalaciones previas.

Una instalación mínima incluirá los siguientes archivos :

• SKIF.exe (Utilidad de inyección de código)

• SpecialK32.dll (versión de 32-bits de Special K)

• SpecialK64.dll (versión de 64-bits de Special K)

• Un directorio llamado “Servlets” (almacena códigos para iniciar SK al arranque)

Archivos adicionales que podrías ver:

• SpecialK{32|64}.pdb (Símbolos de depuración para mejorar el nivel de detalle en las
    bitácoras de errores)

• Puedes borrar los símbolos de depuración para ahorrar espacio en disco, el programa
      funcionará de todos modos.

Crea un acceso directo a SKIF.exe y terminaste de instalar Special K :slight_smile:

XXX Instalación para beta tester de Steam

• Special K ya no es distribuido a través de Steam, sin embargo, tu licencia beta te permite
    instalar y correr SK desde ( SteamApps\common\SpecialK\ ) y hacerlo acumulará horas
    jugadas en la versión de Steam.

No hay mejor manera de mostrar tu apoyo a Special K que ser uno de los pocos miles de

usuarios con una licencia de Steam, acumulando horas de juego en una aplicación super rara
   que tus amigos no podrán jugar nunca. Serás la envidia de todo mundo :)

Hablando en serio, tienes la opción de instalar en ese directorio o en el otro directorio
“Documentos\My Mods\SpecialK,” pero debes tener cuidado de no terminar con Special K
instalado en ambos directorios. ( Escoge un y sólo un lugar para SK!! )

Para desinstalar Special K

Oh no!

Es una pena que te vayas; si esto fue causado por un problema técnico, probaste buscar
en el foro de Special K (https://special-k.info) y buscar asistencia con tu problema?

Estamos felices de ayudar si es posible.

Cualquiera sea la razón, desinstalar Special K es tan fácil como:

1. Detener el servicio de inyección global
  2. Borrar los sub-directorios de Servlets de la ruta de instalación ( Por defecto = Documentos\My Mods\SpecialK )
  3. Borrar SKIF.exe y SpecialK{32|64}.{pdb|dll}

Muchos archivos adicionales permanecerán aún después de hacer esto, pero son inofensivos
y estan aislados en los sub-directorios en los que se encontraba SKIF.exe .

Si realmente quieres desinstalarlo por completo, lo cual eliminará cualquier captura en HDR
en Steam y configuraciones presonalizadas de juegos, puedes borrar el directorio completo de
"Documentos\My Mods\SpecialK".

>> Ojo que si la Inyección Global estaba activa al realizar estos pasos, algunos o
     toda la estructura de directorios pueden estar bloqueadas por algún programa que
     todavía tenga cargado al DLL de Special K.

Cerrando sesión e iniciándola de nuevo debería liberar a todos los directorios y permitirte
    completar la eliminación de Special K.

Claves de registro: Las tenemos; parece que tú no las quieres…
******************* ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Special K (SKIF principalmente) almacena algunas claves de registro en HKCU:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Kaldaien\Special K\..."

Borra esas también si realmente estás determinado a erradicar todo los rastros de
Special K; yeesh! :slight_smile:

Please help i’ve tried to NUKE the entire thing and it’s still there, i only installed it to use for Final Fantasy 8 but when i try to launch ETS 2 it crashes my game and won’t let me play so how do i get rid of it all together as this is starting to bug me

If nothing else works rename SKIF.exe SpecialK32 and SpecialK64 .dll which should be located here.
(And possibly the folder where you first extracted the downloaded archive in.)

C:\Users\Your_Username\Documents\My Mods\SpecialK

Reboot and on start the SKIF.exe process shouldn’t be running since it’s no longer found nor would the two .dll files be injected into anything, SpecialK should be entirely unloaded now (Thus the reboot.) and you can should you wish to remove the folder entirely.

For specific games I prefer dropping the .dll into the game folder and not using the exe for global injection though if it’s not hindered by permission problems or path issues this exe should also have the means to unload and stop injection.

The local per-game .dll name is usually D3D9, D3D10, D3D11 or DXGI.dll together with DInput.dll
This allows using it with specific games and not with everything should there be any problems. :slight_smile:

EDIT: And I forgot that there should also be a hotkey combination when starting a game (Ctrl+Shift was it?) which should skip injection into this I almost forgot about that particular functionality.

This can be used as well to skip incompatible programs and games along with a blacklist functionality to more permanently avoid injecting SpecialK into problematic software.