Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Check out my awesome new gaming keyboard :slight_smile:

It’s only BB (Blue and Black), not RGB… but it’s every bit as noisy as a good mechanical gaming keyboard.

It puts buttons in really stupid places like a gaming keyboard; therefore it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck – it’s a gaming duck, err keyboard :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like a skatepark :upside_down_face:

I’m all about the thin membrane keys.

Pfft, everyone knows you’re not doing anything important with your computer if the keyboard’s not the noisiest thing in the room :slight_smile:

No reply from Durante, Silent, Unwinder, DF, …

Looks like I’m going to have to find something better to do with my time. Blog’s going on hold for a while. I need to collaborate a little bit to steer the discussion into talking about aspects of my HDR retrofit and of framerate limiters that developers are not doing correctly. But can’t really start that if everyone is too busy with their own (insignificant :P) life to answer his eminence :slight_smile:

< /joking >

(can you imagine if someone actually thought that highly of themselves? He’d be President).

Oh well, I think I can at least explain V-Sync:

What it is,
What it does,
What it does not do,
Why you are a silly silly person if you believe the frame capping caused by V-Sync is anything more than a side-effect of the way V-Sync works.
Why 60 AvgFPS produced by V-Sync preventing the CPU from drawing any faster is nominally 60 FPS but qualitatively complete rubbish :stuck_out_tongue:

Can’t speak for the others, but i know DF is annoying to reach. If they actually saw your messages, they’d definitely listen. John of DF has always mentioned your game fixes, Richard has brought up your Arkham Knight tweak tool a few times, and Alex would definitely fall for Special K if he was aware of it and its capabilities.

I’ve actually tried sharing my N:A texture pack with DF, only for them to proceed to make an Xbox One X analysis of the game, where they say textures don’t quite hold up. They definitely didn’t see my messages, and i’m assuming the same is true in your case.

Speaking of, i did touch over this before when you were exploring options for your future. I’ll PM the post when i find it.

In the name of ergonomics, designs and safe typing a lot of weird and strange designs were made for hardware.

EDIT: Some of them might be genuinely decent though, others are probably just awkward.

Some of these might even be good.
Suppose some of the developments like wrist rests are pretty nice in general plus improvements to comfort and such including functional hardware without any quirks or usage difficulties.

Somehow I had a direct E-Mail address for Richard Ledbetter at one point. Wish I still did, that would make this go a lot quicker :slight_smile:

But yeah, they have covered my work in numerous videos to date. This one I want to be a little different… I am going to try and ride off the re-release of Control and show how much better that game could have looked with HDR (it’s among the more amazing transformations among HDR retrofits). But what I really hope for is they try the retrofit out in a number of other D3D11 titles and bring attention to the product.

I suppose this is technically advertising, but it’s for something everyone interested in HDR should be excited for, and even better, it is free :slight_smile: If I can get that kind of publicity, I might kick-start the Patreon income to the point where I can do this as a fulltime job rather than splitting time between markets (which I’m going to be honest, is boring (!!)) and the project and then start developing at a faster rate.

Injection function: SK-AltInjector/64bitMainApp/NativeMethods.cs at 161afa3e85e1623524b43b4857b784d45846797c · Aemony/SK-AltInjector · GitHub

Edit: And it’s basically a C++ function originally but changed to use C# specific function names where appropriate.

Question does Control run better in DX12 or DX11? I can’t remember when I last played it. I think it did run better as DX11 but I know for fact for Raytracing stuff to work the game needs to run DX12. But I am AMD GPU user. So might not be that much different.

AMD users will probably see higher performance in DX12 as usual.

Should work better under D3D12 but it can be more sensitive to the GPU state and stability, also depends on how it’s implemented I suppose and for SpecialK D3D12 support is still not fully finalized yet.

EDIT: For one example Borderlands 3 does really nice performance wise for D3D12 but it’s very finicky with GPU stability.

Control from what I’ve read is also pushing the hardware pretty heavily so any instability might result in game or driver crashes although sometimes it’s also due to how it’s implemented.
(Dragging up Horizon Zero Dawn as yet another example game those crashes here are part of the port and various issues around that.)

I am curious to use HDR in Control actually. Hence why I ask that question. Should be okay with my current rig.

Gotcha, thanks.

I’ve never managed to get the WriteMemory (...) part of this equation down correctly to reliably use CreateRemoteThread (...). I understand the principle of the injection technique, just having it work as reliably as CBT / Shell hooks is not something I ever managed.

Of course I really only fiddled with it for a short period before realizing that CBT hooks are superior if you need your code injected before a game initializes its graphics APIs (and that’s DEFINITELY something Special K needs :P)

With all that said, CreateRemoteThread (...) after a game is up and running is perfectly fine if the code being injected happens to be a framerate limiter, rather than overriding low-level stuff like presentation model.

I should be able to whip up a simple tool like RTSS that lets you control the framerate without an in-game overlay. Call it easy-mode SK Frame Coach, or something :wink: Trying to invent a new term for this that’s different than framerate limiter, since evidently my design is a lot more sophisticated.

So turned on HDR For Control and the area looks pitch black. Anyone running into this? The beginning of game.

Edit: I think I fixed it by disabling 11bit to 16bit in HDR setting. That seemed to fix the whole dark room area issue.

Were you using MSAA?

Anti-aliasing enabled? I think Kaldaien hada post earlier mentioning MSAA in particular had some…ah I see it was mentioned already. :smiley:

The direct updates and posting/editing functionality is really neat.

I did have it on. Let me try again. But only thing I changed was the 11bit to 16bit. Turned that off and only did 10bit16bit conversion.

XD

more characters required

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, I am hyped!