Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Just Ctrl + Click the slider and set it to whatever you want.

The blurred image was originally posted on Reddit from here, before it was deleted.

The same person posted a 2nd image on the Chinese website Bilibili.

Since this was posted, many other things have come out to confirm that this PCB is real. There is also a 12th memory chip in the blurred area. They don’t put memory chips on the back of PCB unless there is some on the front already. Only reason is because it is 24GB and not 12GB. And then we have other different leakers saying the same thing, that the 3090 is 24GB. Same people who leaked other info such as the 12-pin, that was proven correct by NVIDIA’s own video today. Also today, we now have board manufacturers themselves leaking that it is 24GB, unless you have reason to believe that Videocardz is lying.

Anyways, there is too much proof from the photos and people all confirming the exact same thing for me for 2 weeks in a row to doubt that the 3090 is 24GB now. We are only 6 days away from the NVIDIA Event so we shall know for a fact soon, but these cards are so close to release and already in production, and all the leaks have said the same thing.

This is why we need a manual, there are too many hidden features!

This is why I need a clone or two, or enough funds to higher a secretary :stuck_out_tongue:

Speaking of which, my “wealth advisor” (douchey name for investment planner, IMO :P) is pushing me to treat this like an actual job and generate more revenue than simply covering server costs…

That feels dirty; I like giving stuff away for free as much as realistically possible, but I am starting to see some of his points.

COVID19 has changed the markets that give me relative financial stability – initially I actually profited off of COVID19 by investing in AMD at an extremely opportune time. But, the rest of the markets are not the easy long-term return machine they used to be and I have got to actually generate more predictable revenue.

I do not want to charge for my products, I am hardcore dedicated to open source, so this leaves basically stuff like Patreon / paid extra services (possibly offering code review / consulting services to developers, and fleshing out the user-generated-content system to a small paid service (hosting / training how to use the tools, not paid mods).

What do you guys think?

When I was convinced that Steam was going to serve the project’s backbone for hosting, updates, UGC (workshop) services, I was in a pretty comfortable lull where I did not need to make the project generate any revenue, and could use the time savings from Valve’s services to split my time between this and investing.

I’d appreciate user opinion – what a more revenue-generation focused Special K would mean for the community that has built up? On the one hand, things would become a lot more organized; on the other, it might mean the end of me randomly adding interesting features…

I am aware this is a silly place to post this… if I can condense my thoughts a bit better maybe with some suggestions here, I will make a proper thread for the discussion of what sort of changes might be happening and how to keep the atmosphere of this project fun and spontaneous even when it becomes necessary for me to financially support myself through income derived one way or another from this project.

It a difficult road to thread, you potentially could lose your userbase. As any sort of paywall scares away some. But if it means more resources to improve maybe it`s a valid option.

The 3090 being 24GB makes me think it is a Titan replacement more than a 2080 Ti replacement. That amount of memory is just a bit obscene, and seems like a huge jump from the 2080 Ti’s 11 GB to be a direct upgrade. Although the 3080 only having 10GB makes it doubtful that is a xx80 Ti. So either they just really did more than double the memory or they aren’t gonna have a xx80 Ti on launch, which is how it used to be. The -80 Ti used to come out a little while after the mainstream cards.

It is neither Titan or Ti replacement. The Titan is the full chip, and the 3090 is slightly cut down. As you said the Ti used to come out later so they could continue to sell upgrades. The Titan is still going to have full-speed Tensor core FP32 accumulation, unlike the Geforce series which is cut in half, and even more VRAM (48GB of slower GDDR6 using 2GB chips is my prediction).

From my previous writings

"If leaks are accurate we know a couple very important things. 3080 is the SAME CHIP as the titan this time, just cut down. They have not done this since the 780 days.

The full GA102 chip is 5376, or lets call it 84 SM’s of 64 cores each.
The 3090 is 5248 cuda cores, 82 SMs. 97.6% of full part.
The 3080 is 4352 cuda cores, 68 SM’s. 80.9% of full part.

There will not be a 3080 Ti on release date. If they do release one next year, it will likely be 5120 cores, 80 SM’s. 95.2% of full part.

The 2080 Ti was released at 4 SM’s disabled out of 72, it was a 68/72 part. 94.4% of full part.

Next year they can come in with the 3080 Ti at a lot better price value, to get the people who’ve held off, or to get people on 3080 to upgrade.

This is exactly what they did for all previous gen’s except 2080 Ti, because Raytracing caused the 2080 to be a “sidegrade” instead of an upgrade. They needed a part for people to upgrade from 1080 Ti.

The main difference this time is early adopters can get basically the full chip without having to wait a year, AND they get to introduce a part later on to keep their numbers strong next year (like the Supers were).

TL;DR
The 3090 is better than what the 3080 Ti would have been. But it’s going to be ■■■■■■■ expensive."

Patreon is the best route for open source software. But you need a way to advertise it, you aren’t going to get enough money from it unless you start blasting it around, and offering benefits to Patreon subscribers, such as early releases.

The most successful patreons I typically see are from popular content creators, and stay relevant in people’s minds on twitter and youtube content, or for software development, the CEMU project and YUZU project, they lock current builds behind patreon.

There needs to be a balance of incentive for people on the fence to subscribe, it’s better if they feel like they are getting something that the rest of the free users aren’t, even if it’s small or only for a week or so.

Sometimes SpecialK and ReShade requires turning off the sleepless options in the SpecialK config file.

[Render.FrameRate]
SleeplessRenderThread=false
SleeplessWindowThread=false

I think it’s the render one specifically but if trying to load the official version of ReShade results in a crash on startup one of those two to false seems to resolve it.

Compatibility wise I don’t know the status of Flight Simulator 2020 and ReShade but if SpecialK works there shouldn’t be anything from the game preventing it from working and it’s D3D11 which both utilities support really well at this point so that shouldn’t be a blocker either.

EDIT: Some games have problems with the sleep functionality and timer so the result is a bit prone to stuttering or various issues over a longer period of time in-game so these are good options to have enabled in such cases or even in general just to cover that and why there’s a setting to override the sleep function in SpecialK or one reason for it at least and what it can help with.

Yes I managed to get specialk custom resahde to load, but the effects doesnt apply. thre seems to be a problem like an antitamper going on.
Do you know how to make geforce freestyle to work with specialk?

I’m on a AMD GPU so I can’t say much about NVIDIA Freestyle but I think it’s based around a profile and whitelist system although with less limits for the Turing GPU models along with Ansel although by this point maybe the newer NVIDIA drivers have lifted some of the prior restrictions and designs since the system itself has gone through a couple of revisions.

EDIT: And that’s the post button not just making a new line.

Well they’ve also altered shader whitelisting and the depth buffer restriction for some effects but it should be primarily against profiles for active online games from my knowledge.

For SpecialK and SpecialK ReShade version 3.0.8 if you have compatible shaders you need to open the SpecialK ReShade settings and there should be toggles for drawing before or after a shader or the UI.

Without having the UI shader set up through SpecialK and it’s D3D11 shader/texture tool these need to be disabled or there won’t be a assigned hash here and the shader files won’t load.
(It’s useful to have for skipping applying some of these effects over the UI/HUD elements that games have but it’s a little bit of extra work setting it up so you might want to start by having this disabled.)

It’s probably fine, but it might be hard finding a working approach, I think.

Like, if you really want to advertise the Patreon and whatnot you’d basically have to jump unto projects that is extremely popular (and partially broken) with the PC gaming community and provide measurable improvements and features a la NieR:Automata.

If you then do as others have mentioned and do a timed “exclusive” (lol) of the newest Special K build on Patreon you’ll see people join on the Patreon solely to get access to the latest build the fastest (unless they “pirate” it elsewhere, lmao).

On another note, if possible I think it could be beneficial to release your frame rate limiter as a separate module and source code. I know some other devs are interested in “the magic” as it were, and it’s inclusion in the SK source code makes it hard to locate the details.

A separate module might also increase compatibility solely by limiting what is touches, which might allow users to more easily use it in some games (e.g. UE3 maybe?).

Wonder how easily that could be done with the reliance on flip model presentation though I suppose Windows 8+ and multi media class scheduling and general OS kernel functionality would ensure a large part of the framerate limiter could be stand-alone or separated depending on yeah where in the source code is all of that anyway?
(There’s a lot of it after all and into all kinds of files and functions like the separate graphics API’s and what not.)

Come to think of it I suppose the framerate limiter part could be set up like this the flip support is more about frame time and latency improvements.

Should go through all these little options as well one day and figure out what they all do, going by the ini file example for Flight Sim 2020 I assume the games problem and incorrect “boost” that the community is doing is part of why the max busy wait percentage is off entirely and then there’s the tolerance setting.

Back buffers and pre-rendered frame limitation probably goes more into the latency and frame time improvements and then there’s refresh rate and ratio settings.

Two separate framerate caps too going by the source code which I must have overlooked earlier so there’s both a foreground main framerate cap and a background one, I like that a lot. :slight_smile:

Then there’s the sleepless thread settings, mmcs and vsync override.

Those probably couple into the DXGI settings and if needed forcing adjustments to v-sync though I actually don’t know how this is respected by the game or program itself and then from the display driver.
(Plus possibilities of double or triple VSync by values of 2 or 3 instead of just on and off.)

Well after that little overview it’s basically just confirming I have some going over the existing setups and configurations to do against the newer 0.11.x code here and now the source code for it and what settings have been added or deprecated.

Would be interesting to see the limiter and these advantages it has utilized more if it can be split up like this or how to call it grouped into it’s own set of files for how it’s tied into the general D3D code and such and other SpecialK functionality.
(MMCS I assume handles threading and priorities and what not through the OS and scheduler so perhaps less demand on CPU code and support from SpecialK?)

EDIT: Actually on that note I should probably just throw this entire newest version and it’s code into one of the Atelier games again and go from configuring it from there as those have some fun little frame time divergences and issues or maybe the upcoming Yakuza game although I hope the new one resolves some of the earlier reported and I would hope known about engine issues this time.

EDIT: There’s that older image I got from Rorona.

https://abload.de/img/atelier_rorona015ufss.jpg

Think I can get that down to 33.3 or 16.6 this time depending on if this was 60 or 30 FPS capped again, made for a good extreme case with it’s 72~ ms spikes back then at least.

Uh…

I hate to be that guy, but …

https://gitlab.special-k.info/Kaldaien/SpecialK/-/blob/0.11.liberated/src/framerate.cpp

Those developers cannot find the framerate limiter? It’s pretty easy to find :slight_smile: I’ve even peppered it with implementation details in comments and cleaned up the design. That was done > 1 year ago.

I do intend to make it standalone, but I have more to do to get it to that state. For best results, I need to teach the fundamentals of 1. thread scheduling and the correct way to wait on a frame deadline, 2. crash course in modern swapchain queuing, 3. how to implement a waitable input system.

That’s kind of a series of blog articles the way I see it, but I don’t actually think I have anyone who would read the stuff at the moment. I need to drag people like Durante in here and get their attention, I think :slight_smile:

Everything you post will basically be linked by me to PCGW, where a few other modders/developers hang out. They will then usually link stuff further if it’s good material, and so stuff spreads.

Write it and they will come, and all of that.

I’ll probably link the thing in the DirectX Discord as well just because some of the devs that hangs out there might be interested in it.

Windows 10 19041/19042 .487

KB4571744

Beta ring update after .450 ( KB4566782 )
(This one August 11, 2020—KB4566782 (OS Build 19041.450) - Microsoft Support plus a accompanying update to the servicing stack as well.)

A lot of fixes in this one.

Also fixes the defragment / optimize drive setting forgetting the status on reboot finally.

EDIT: For the regular update cycle the next cumulative should be in roughly two weeks as part of the September rollout and monthly updating though there’s a chance of a earlier non-security update rollout too often near the end of the month.
(Though if so that would be tomorrow as that’s normally the last Friday of the month instead of the second Tuesday of the month for the update rollout routine.)

That is literally all I EVER want to read. But I am, uh, not a typical person

“We now provide the ability for Dolby Atmos for Headphones and DTS Headphone: X to be used in 24-bit mode on devices that support 24-bit audio.”

Now THAT is a good change.