Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Beats me – both are worth it albeit for different reasons. Horizon is a 50+ hour open world beast (completionist) with New Game+ that time and time can be put into. Control is a ~25 hours (completionist) pseudo-superhero fantasy of weirdness and mystery enclosed in a more traditional level design without an “open world” per se.

Story-wise, though, I’d probably go with Control.

I’m guessing it’s a no, but i’m hoping the game isn’t reminiscent of the mainstream superhero movies you get a lot of?

If it isn’t, then i’ll just go with Control when i get paid. Ig leave Horizon for when its been through some patches.

Well that’s new.

Possibly a bit of a example case but I suppose you could save a bit more horizontal space by vertical mounting the power connectivity although I think that’d make some of the coolers in need of a compatible new variant for some of the popular aftermarket solutions. :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, i forgot to share that image in all that Horizon discussion. It seems like the PCB does break up before the second fan after all. I guess that means the second fan cools a heatsink, similarly to CPU coolers, but then i don’t know how you reach that 12 pin connector. Then again we haven’t seen a proper view of the sides of the GPU.

I hope it’s a example for focusing on the 12-pin but that would work just the same as if it was in the more standard layout not stacked upright like this.

Some interesting solution here but it’s going to be taller doing it this way which would be in the way of the normal shroud and fan designs possibly the cooling sink and pipes at worst without some models working around the 12-pin tall power connector here because I have no idea what this is going to be for.

How many do you need if you need to save space by mounting them like this anyway.
It’s not like the entire PCB’s going to be circuitry filled either I assume so 2x 12’s should work just fine over 4x 8’s taking the same space unless the big huge 3090’s going to have 3x 12-pins or something.

I don’t know how good a cooling method it is to extend a heatsink out like that, but i’m certain now that it’s definitely a cut PCB before the second fan. It’s the most sensible answer as to why the other fan is placed there, so the air is pushed downwards through just that heatsink.

The only thing going against that theory in the first place is the idea that the top card would have a PCB of that size.

1 Like

No, I mostly call it a pseudo-superhero fantasy as that was the feeling I got while using the various telekinesis abilities of the game in combat.

Hi, does specialK work with red dead redemption2? I`m playing vulkan with HDR with a 980 ti

@JonasBeckman

Yep, i guess that confirms it :smiley:

1 Like

It should, according to the compatibility list.

You might need to whitelist it. I don’t know how much it matters what platform you’re using since they all use the Rockstar Launcher.

It works for DX12 not vulkan For RDR2. Only reason why I can’t use SK in it. B/c Vulkan in my case runs far better.

According to the compatibility list

If i recall you have an AMD GPU, which is why it didn’t work for you with Vulkan. I forgot what the reason for it working with the specified setup is, i think it’s to do with how Nvidia HDR process is handled for Vulkan games (using some DX level API or something?) which allows SK to actually hook. Doom: Eternal with Vulkan worked fine for me and i’m using Nvidia hardware with a HDR display.

any recommended settings for rdr2?

Yup that is exactly why it didn’t work. It used Nvidia API and wasn’t compatible with AMD.

Weird theory backed with no evidence and a lack of actual knowledge in the GPU manufacturing department, but what if the 12 pin design is just a means of distributing power properly? Instead of creating that power converter or whatever system on the PCB itself, since the PCB is so tiny for a flagship card it saves on space to just make a 12 pin slot.

:melogold:

I think I might actually… purchase one of those… ■■■■ me…

I’m skeptical 24gb will happen - especially with a PCB of that size. Even if it is possible, knowing Nvidia they’d save the larger memory size for a Titan card.

I’m actually theorising that the 3090 is the new top card and there is no Titan Ampere, at least not for now as Nvidia won’t be able to find a way to fit 24gb on a PCB that small. They wouldn’t be able to sell a Titan Ampere if it has significantly less ram than the RTX Titan. Best way forward in Nvidia’s eyes is to just rename the top card to the 3090, so no one complains if/when it doesn’t have enough ram. Won’t be long till we get answers though. I’m hopeful for 12gb for the 3090, and Jensen will be telling us “it’s fast ram super fast ram way beyond any of our previous gaming GPUs”, so we’re accepting of 12gb.

I do want to be proven wrong though :eyes:

Multiple sources have now confirmed that 3090 is 24GB. This is on top of this picture of a custom PCB 3090, (from an AIB partner), that shows memory on the back of the PCB. The 3090 has 12 memory controllers, with 1GB memory chips x24, 2 per controller 12 on each side of the PCB.

@Kaldaien Are you gonna let us increase the Texture Cache beyond 8GB using the GUI now?

Hmm, yeah that’s going to be super expensive, as the RTX Titan was. This brings me to a new theory though, which is that Nvidia don’t want to risk using the Titan name for next gen. Historically, Titans have always been well ahead of AMD’s top offerings, and for at least a few months, excluding the dual GPUs no one should care for.

Heck, i think AMD still have yet to beat the Titan XP. But with next gen, AMD may be competitive enough that Nvidia can’t do a new Titan card that’s well ahead of the comp this time. So even in this situation, it’s easier to stick with the 3090 naming instead of risking the Titan name being tainted.

Calling it the 3090 also means Nvidia is actually ready to drop the price, depending on the comp. Dropping the price on a Titan wouldn’t happen. Titan needs to maintain the image and power it has.

Edit: Everywhere i look states it’s videocardz making the claim about 24gb ram, and their source is unclear. Where did you get the blurred image from?

Which version of reshade work with specialk_ I[m trying latest for MSFS2020 but games hangs at startup