Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Okay, then :slight_smile:

You are a developer, I hope? My goal is to start writing blog articles for developers porting / developing games and offering them my advice / open source solutions, … and somehow money is supposed to be raised doing this :stuck_out_tongue: We’ll see how things go.

I do think I can get some bigger studios to sponsor my development on framerate limiters and improved thread efficiency stuff. Much the same ImGui is sponsored by a few game studios for in-game debug UI.

:melogold:

I’ve been wanting that for a while. When it gets merged over to Win10 proper I might just switch back to using my headphones (24-bit Hi-Res Audio certified) in combination with spatial audio.

If you have any way of tying it into a game or two you’ve worked on, like Silent does on his blog posts, you might see it further shared and posted on places such as Eurogramer and the like.

Sounds to me like you could just do that on the side, while still working on Special K. You’d have to take Special K more slowly of course.

I want to also mention your viewcount for the Horizon ZD fix

That’s the sort of thing you can utilise to your advantage. If you’re only going to continue focusing on Special K, then lets face it you’re still going to be fixing lots of games and getting a lot of traffic.

Part of the problem is, users of your fixes remain oblivious as to what Special K actually is. I know this because i wasn’t aware myself despite using FAR when first playing N:A. I only found out about the actual tool and its capabilities after Aemony hit me up about bringing the texture pack to FAR. I’ve recommended SK to a few modders since, who are only aware because of me. I don’t even think anyone in the Reshade community even knows you can use SK to bypass the annoying HUD problem.

You can probably make a correlation yourself, if you obsess over available stats here like you have to with the stock market. Horizon happened too early to have a clear pattern, but if there was one, how many Patreon members did Horizon bring in? 30k views prob 10k users, how many of those would you estimate have since been using Special K for other stuff?

Of course, more Special K users also means troubleshooting many more users issues, which is worth keeping in mind. But the more that’s covered in the tutorial page, the more often we can just redirect users there, specifically when it’s basic issues that i’ve noticed a lot of here. The compatibility page is also proving super useful.

Going back to the revenue side, it would probably require a UI redesign or just some basic changes for SKIF or the SK control panel, to specifically link other fixes or a showcase of what SK can do. Perhaps even a mini-guide in another SKIF tab? The trailer linked at the top has only managed 150 views despite more than 30k visits on this server, and it covers a lot of what SK can do.

Feel free to experiment with your user-base really, and watch the pattern and see what’s pushing your revenue.

To summarise, your userbase need to:

1. Get some idea wtf Special K is - at least the most popular features
  2. Be aware it has fixed a lot of games
  3. Know they can use it in most of their games

And suddenly SK is this beastly tool everyone obsesses over. The planned workshop-ish page would help, imagine seeing all those mods for many different games :eyes: - i have at least a couple of things to add to the workshop already.

Don’t forget, searching for mods is a very common thing. Many users will stumble onto this site if say they’re looking for another Lara Croft or Final Fantasy texture mod. Nexusmods already hosts a lot of mods using SK local injection to mod textures. That’s added traffic to this server if you’re already hosting mods, and added traffic means more potential Patrons. I’m talking hundreds of thousands of views for mods alone, SK is capable of many mods.

Here’s proof of one of them being extremely popular, and i have yet to release its final update :smiley:

TLDR utilise your traffic as best as you can.

More on the 12-pin cable and a 12-pin compatible PSU as well.

Smaller than I was expecting it to be, pretty nifty actually as it’s barely a few millimeters over a single 8-pin. :slight_smile:

Damn … Niert Automata deserved a better port … so sad for this gem of a game run so bad to so many ppl on PC :frowning: . - YouTube the OST e amazing!

1 Like

Yeah I hope Nier Replicant’s port ends up being better, better supported at least.
(How does it sell well but get zero patches besides DLC support?)

EDIT: Hope I got that right, Gestalt and Replicant I believe one’s Bro-Nier the others Dad-Nier.

EDIT: Well the PC version might have some room for mod support at least.

Even if it’s just custom textures those can be fun too. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Or whatever to use as a example, found this one fitting.)

Is there even a genre for the music Nier does?

I’ve been using 24bit up to 48Hz in those apps. I own both of them. Purchased them thru windows store. Problem is you can’t go higher than 48Hz if you use that Spatial Audio option with headset or headphones. What I want to see is the ability to go above 48Hz.

Since 2019 actually or even before.

I think it is called “Epic” or “Trailer Music” there are some examples:

You can say the same for many games OST, Destiny comes to mind on this.

1 Like

20% off as well until September 3.

Go go go go go!

1 Like

Chanting?

Hmm but that’s not really a genre. I do like it when it’s used in games though. :slight_smile:

EDIT: What’s this other thing called again, growling?
Err this is going to take a while to find.

EDIT: Arcturus Curse and Loss of Divinity had a pretty nifty soundtrack with that.

Also a pretty funky opening video.

And it was never translated officially.

EDIT: Loved the soundtrack in Grandia 1 too but it’s more cheerful and bright or how to say. Callback to the older generation games or what to describe it like.

Those feel like movie tracks, i’m familiar with TSFH. The Nier franchise has some really unique scores i’ve never heard elsewhere, amusement park especially. I’m not knowledgeable with music, the most i know about the Nier tracks is that they take a mix of things from around the world? Even creating unique languages for their tracks. Which might be why i haven’t found similar.

:laughing:

I trust CDkeys, never had issues in my years using it.

Why is my english falling apart :stuck_out_tongue:

Did someone mention NieR: Automata music?! I ■■■■■■■ love that music! Even own/imported a physical copy of the Orchestral Arrangement Special Box Edition.

MONACA is a god tier loose assortment of music artists that makes :melogold: music.

I have also listened to a bunch of fan renditions of the tracks and while nothing really comes close, I ended up falling in love with ROZEN + REVEN’s tracks as well:

And here’s basically all albums I have (almost all in ALAC :melogold:) in my music library:

3 Likes

They were actually playing live in London, but i uhh, missed it because i had work.

Mhm, I remember people in the NieR Discord I’m in talking about it. Also played in Canada a month earlier or so, I believe.

Also, on another note, A Hat in Time is another game with just lovely tracks. Not all of them are great, but then they have fun tracks like this one:

1 Like

One of those backlog titles I’ll get around to at some point.
Also might be the last UE3 title in the backlog.

Plus there’s the Cat in Time DLC although it’s actually called Nyakuza Metro.

EDIT infinity: Should study languages better. :stuck_out_tongue:

If we’re talking soundtracks, THIS ONE FOR THE WIN

No seriously, if anyone knows music like this track please recommend.

1 Like

I actually realised i missed it because someone interested in my mods asked me on discord if i catched the concert, since he was there. It was on my radar at first, then i forgot about it a few weeks later. Had to check back on the date and luckily i was working which justifies missing it :upside_down_face: