Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Still has nothing on AWE32 / original IBM Monochrome Display Adapter cards :slight_smile:

I am fairly certain most people will not know this, but there are/were brackets on old AT/XT chassis for “full-length” cards. HolyDeath was talking about removing drive cages, but those drive cages couldn’t even have been in the case in the 80s and 90s because that space was needed for mile long expansion cards :stuck_out_tongue:

Not quite as impressive as I remember... but that is an 8-bit ISA card. VLB cards had a reason for being stupid long, the only reason that card is so long is because Moore's Law?

That’s probably only 4 KiB of RAM across all of those chips :slight_smile:

At least those use the length for actual bits, some of the early attempts at improving cooling were perhaps a bit less successful and more problematic instead. :stuck_out_tongue:

Had a Voodoo5 5500 or what it was called, not that big nowadays but the double GPU’s and such were impressive back then although I don’t remember much at all of the old Ericson computer and the days of the ISA ports and various odd add-on cards due to how long ago that was. :smiley:

Oh, the times of the high towers/full towers! I had completely forgotten about those computer cases.

They’re really rare nowadays and almost all consumer targeted cases are all mid towers.

I’d honestly prefer them as the additional space made working with components within the case easier.

Although nowadays I run my case without sides, front, and a top, which also makes it more accessible for when I actually need to do something in it.

They are? I use full towers exclusively although that would explain why the pickings were a bit more slim and instead there’s these fancy looking experimental looking cages and what not, guess mid towers are the popular pick now then.

EDIT:

This one isn’t too bad though it’s a display around a flat mounting board like those test bench setups where everything is installed with weight as the only concern since it’s top and not side mounted compared to many other cases but it’s probably not too big of a issue.

EDIT: Oil cooling was a thing for a while too but compared to water loops or air it’s probably a real hassle to maintain and a solid water loop and components for this would be giving excellent result already for the PC and GPU optionally the RAM’s and however the loop is installed.
(A few of these work into the motherboard cooling too as I recall.)

Non conductive some type of mineral oil.

A few years ago when I bought a new case I was really disappointed at how few variations of full towers were available, and how some Swedish retailers didn’t even expose it as an option. Take the retailer Webhallen, for example. They carry over 200 mid towers in their inventory, but only 18 full towers (in fact even less, as some of the “full towers” are unconvential ones like the one you posted a screenshot of).

Then there’s the full towers that are pretty much mid towers, just… uh… a few centimeters higher or whatever… I bought a NZXT “full tower” like a decade ago only to discover that it was basically about as small as my existing mid tower, which was a bit annoying to note at the time.

Nowadays I just want an expansive case that isn’t a pain in the ass to work in.

Then again, nowadays I don’t really want to have to work in the case at all if I can get away with it… I’m seriously contemplating just paying extra to get the retailer to build my next PC for me with the exact components I’ve specified, and then just ship it pre-built to me.

Yep Webhallen and Komplett is what I usually go with, case ended up being a Cooler Master M something which long as the front panel dual dust intakes are rectified it’s not bad but the modular design is complex and so screwed in that adjustments are likely only done once and you might remove a few bits entirely because they have no functionality besides hiding stuff like the PSU while blocking working or building with the chassis or computer components.

It’s not bad but it’s not the best either and if the price hadn’t been discounted to ~3000 SEK instead of 5000 SEK it would have been way overpriced instead of just overpriced. :stuck_out_tongue:

There were some other options but the low stock and no dates for estimated delivery hampered selection.

Overly expensive at the suggested retail price, dual dust front panel design is a real problem but easy to resolve just remove one of them and there’s better choices if there had been more in stock.

LED’s are a thing and the fan controller is neat but the motherboard might be more customizable and modularity well it exists but aside from the initial install it’s not something I’d ever use more than that one time.

Good at a lower price point though.

Prebuilt is a interesting alternative too but I like doing it myself, cable management is going to look non-great but eh once the motherboard screws are in the hard parts done with.

Mostly. Some of the newer PSU’s have these caps in the cabling that is good but makes them very stiff and hard to angle or fit due to lack of flexibility so that 24 pin and extras like the 8 pinners or 4+4’s were tough to get good short of just going the easy path and ignoring cable management entirely.
(Which I probably should it’s not going to do anything aside from possibly be a light hindrance for de-mounting and replacing the GPU if anything.)

EDIT: This case has a riser cable too and adjustable GPU mount for angling the GPU (Airflow goes where exactly? Could have done with a side panel fan but that one panel is a glass display alas.) but it’s a PCI Express 3.0 one so for compatibility with the AMD 500’s and Navi10’s I removed that thing.

EDIT: As the video review shows though don’t vertically angle the GPU for this case it’s a terrible idea for the heat and airflow without proper cooling or a water loop design for the graphics card.

Some neat ideas but a bit of a showcase piece and the suggested retail pricing is ridiculous for what you can get for 150$ - 200$ mid tower and performance/silence and with more available models being in stock (If there’s a difference compared to last Autumn/Winter now.) and including full towers or “super towers” whatever it’s called the 300 - 350$ range. (Above that I would personally be skeptical for paying more for a chassis it’s unlikely to be worth the premium for any actual silent or cooling performance build and more for design and looks.)

Far as pricing and premiums go I hear Herman Miller and Steelcase make some really good chairs although some people swear even the Ikea lineup such as the Markus are good.

Even the non quad digit premium models and Big Boss CEO designs thrones of premium ass comfort are probably good, spine and neck too for that matter especially compared to these Race thingies and “Gamer Chairs” whatever the name is nowadays. :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like the forums used ~100 GiB of bandwidth this past month. Surprisingly high considering SK compresses down to ~15 MiB. Luckily, that’s 900 GiB short of any sort of limit. So this looks sustainable at least until the next Steam sale brings a crazy amount of traffic.

1 Like

I like my Steelcase Leap very much

1 Like

Ah, bandwidths… I remember when I hosted GPUnity’s NieR: Automata texture mod. A 1 GB package that frequently would see my monthly bandwidth usage increase by 1-3 TB depending on whether the game went on sale or not.

On another note, seems that Discourse have a new update pending that we can apply:

They’re also seemingly following in the footsteps of others and removing “outdated, racists terms”… :expressionless:

As such, throughout Discourse we’ve removed use of the terms master & slave, whitelist & blacklist, and similar. You’ll now see primary & replica, allow list & block/deny list, etc.

It’s not as if it changes much, but it’s always weird to see these things happen – as if people actually inject those supposed values into said words when used in the context they are used in.

Like when people in the US threw a tantrum a few years back when Circle K bought up a bunch of gas stations in Sweden and a photo of three of their flags went viral because the flags position inadvertedly created three K’s in a row… :expressionless:

That ended up being solved apparently by the gas stations replacing the middle flag with another one without a K on it, but it’s just weird… It’s a bunch of random flags in Sweden for goodness’ sake – a country on the other side of the world.

Wonder how much bandwidth the upscale textures for Tales of Symphonia used, also wonder what could be done with more recent scaling techniques though it requires some manual touching up for really good results.

On that note the Moguri Mod for Final Fantasy IX is up to 8.2.0 now.

Plus projects for various intro movies and also games like Resident Evil though via emulation for texture modding ease and other advantages.

EDIT: So maybe some publishers could leave the HQ2X type filtering out or the bilinear smear thing for future “remaster” efforts or possibly even resolve some of the existing ones with more advanced techniques now. Well probably not happening but there’s usually mods so that’s something.

GitHub has a web API that can tell the number of times releases have been downloaded, but I don’t have any experience with it. In theory, I could compute the number of download requests and get a rough estimate for the ToS texture pack. They were 2 GiB files though and I am sure there were a lot of partial downloads.

I remember them being really popular so I can imagine there being a lot of downloads for these packs. Game itself and the PC port had it’s issues but I remember liking it though I should replay the game one of these days find some of the things I missed and maybe see how it holds up.

Will be interesting to see how Tales of Arise ends up (Delayed I believe?) plus if there were any truth at all to rumors of porting the earlier games to more modern systems.
(Switch possibly but I don’t know how much of the original games code and other source data there is.)

There’s also the licensing and localization of some of the former Japan exclusive entries and certain bonus content, would be nice to see but I have no idea what the plan is for the series overall.

Yeah, Tales of Arise has been delayed. Thankfully I finally found out where the Unreal Engine DPI scaling bugs come from (Flip Model SwapChain override), so when that game inevitably ships without HDR, I won’t have any trouble adding HDR :slight_smile:

I expected it was going to ship by the end of 2020, so I’m on schedule at least :stuck_out_tongue:

Use this one. It’s pretty much the one I used whenever I looked up FAR download stats.

https://somsubhra.com/github-release-stats/

Has anyone tried SpecialK with PGA 2K21? Once again it doesn’t have HDR. Such a poor show in this day and age. Anyway, I’m interested to know if anyone can confirm SpecialK working in PGA 2K21, and also if it poses a ban risk.

Release Info
  Author: @Kaldaien
  Published: 2016-07-23
  Downloads: 148,043
  Download Info
00_PS3Buttons.7z (0.05 MiB) - downloaded 10,421 times. Last updated on 2016-07-23
01_CleanFont.7z (1.72 MiB) - downloaded 26,630 times. Last updated on 2016-07-23
98_Cleanup.7z (2.81 MiB) - downloaded 821 times. Last updated on 2016-07-23
99_Upscale4x.7z.001 (2048.00 MiB) - downloaded 38,605 times. Last updated on 2016-07-23
99_Upscale4x.7z.002 (2048.00 MiB) - downloaded 35,862 times. Last updated on 2016-07-23
99_Upscale4x.7z.003 (1051.03 MiB) - downloaded 34,813 times. Last updated on 2016-07-23
tsfix.zip (5.86 MiB) - downloaded 891 times. Last updated on 2016-07-23

Glad I’m not paying for that :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeesh,

3.5 million downloads.

Woah. Guess that means literally everyone on Steam uses FAR. And uhh, i guess the pirates too if comments for my texture pack are anything to go by.

Also Kal check your PMs please.

Yup, FAR is popular. :rofl:

Your Special K files will soon hit 1 million downloads as well, I noticed.