Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

I think there’s too much speculation to be had, because of the focus on raytracing. Plus the fan design is still confusing everyone last i checked. After how the 2000 series fared, i think everyone just wants to see good prices or they don’t care.

I’m actually glad to see they’re bringing the -90 name back. I know it’s traditionally been for dual GPU variants of their flagships, but since the 1080 ti happened, with that jump in performance it just made sense to me to go back to the -90 naming and actually ensure stability across all games this time.

Fan design is shown here, its pushing cool air from the front and pulling it out the back.

I’m expecting 3090 ~$1400, and 3080 ~$800, with a 3080 Ti released next year at $1000 with near 3090 performance.

We don’t know what the reason is for this configuration exactly, and the second fan looks like both an intake and outtake fan (those exist?) or at least it doesn’t look like just an outtake fan (unless the lighting deceives me).

I’ve even seen rumours of the 3090 being split into two PCBs, point being crazy theories have been thrown around since we first saw the fans leaked a couple of months ago. No one afaik has actually come up with a solid theory as to why Nvidia went with this fan config. The most common guess is that the second fan is just to pull the air from the first fan as you’ve said, and it’s probably true but we’ll have to see. Even if that is the case, it still begs the question of “why now? Instead of many generations ago”.

Just the lighting, perhaps this helps.

Yeah that helps, interesting.

I’m quite interested in seeing if the cooling performance is adequate. It’s a most unusual design. For the Big Navi cards, all rumors so far point it to shipping with a similar cooling solution to Sapphire’s Pulse cards, since they’re the OEM for AMD reference design GPUs. Exciting times for graphics are coming, that’s for sure.

There’s the reveal now.
https://twitter.com/GothamKnights/status/1297225987633975296

EDIT: Gotham GAAS I suppose.

EDIT: Well maybe not, less than Avengers at least although the co-op(?) angle opens up for some things like cosmetics but that’s nothing new.

EDIT: The default designs also opens up for cosmetics DLC for that matter, Red there looks like he stole part of Azraels kit. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Guess Nightwing only really has one suit , Robin changes it up pretty extensively at least. (And he has pants too unlike the classic designs.)

Yeah caught it live, and the gameplay. I’m worried they’re just making an avengers competitor… I mean enemy levels and multiplayer? Enemy levels are something i hate seeing in basically any game. I have to watch the gameplay again though when it’s uploaded, idk wtf i saw lol. It seemed like you just spam punch and evade, no countering or special moves etc unless i didn’t notice.

I’m skeptical overall. If it has a singleplayer campaign mode, then i’ll be getting it as an Arkham fan. If it’s grinding multiplayer focused (looter action?), then i don’t care. Admittedly, i don’t care to play as Batman’s sidekicks. Thought they would do another prequel story for Batman, or just an all new Batman, since he’s the iconic character everyone cares about.

At least the atmosphere seems really cool though, and animation work is top notch. Most fighting games seem unpolished.

Suicide squad in a few hours, though i didn’t really care for this one in the first place. But i’m interested in seeing what Rocksteady’s been busy doing for so many years.

Yeah the damage numbers and scaling is worrying, it’s still a early showcase and reveal but there’s a lot of questions for what the game is going for whether it’s closer to the earlier Batman games but with "rpg lite"™ elements now or more MP(co-op) focused.

There’s been so many rumors for both these games and all kinds of info plus I was expecting Suicide Squad to be the co-op online focused title lending itself naturally towards this by having a squad of uneasy allies like what Origins hinted at as a little teaser.

Then this would have been what followed Arkham Knight although it could still be open for something set before or after those events or a new story entirely.

Will be interesting to hear more as the publisher starts revealing some additional details or previews and such get released along with the usual trailers and game videos.

EDIT: Also a Batman game sans Batman (Or will it.) that’s going to be curious.
(Batman Royale? Well that’s probably not how they decide on a successor to the bat-man cave. :stuck_out_tongue: )

Yeah we definitely need to see a lot more gameplay. It’s raising too many questions for me. I don’t think i’ve ever felt this smack bang in the middle before over a new reveal i’ve waited for. At least there’s still BOTW2 to look forward to :slight_smile:

Yeah i was thinking Rocksteady would just expand on that dual combat system they introduced in Knight. Plus Suicide Squad makes perfect sense to go the multiplayer route, though i personally don’t care for these sort of games being multiplayers.

1 Like

Yep all that game would need is a bit more dungeon design but the creative divine beasts made up for part of it already plus players could tackle the smaller shrines as they wanted for challenges and upgrades without having to go through a set number or having to do a progressive series of events for these progression items the series otherwise utilized to unlock more.

Maybe some more variety although balancing and making them unique works better than X types of samey mobs too.

EDIT: The boomerang foxes of Zelda 2 need to come back though, players “loved” those.
(There’s the shields up, shields down knights too but I think those sorta became the Darknut knights over later installment progressions and enemy design.)

EDIT: Actually speaking of the classics the amazing artwork also stands out, most of the time at least.
Who knew Links uncle from the SNES game was this awesome dude from the sprite.

(Still better than what people assumed Aghanim was looking like though.)

Though I don’t think the canned ham is how they actually dealt with Ganon/Ganondorf canonically.

(Anatomy please, although I suppose it could either be his upper body or his legs/rear ha ha.)

There is one thing that i can think of that would make me content with Gotham Knight. It’s if they’re going the Shadow of mordor/war route and adding a dynamic boss system. Afaik, monolith originally did start work on a batman game with that nemesis system in mind, but changed it to the LOTR world during development.

But if it is in this new game, that may forgive the level scaling, and it would also make sense not to be Batman of all people if you’re going to be continuously owned.

1 Like

Oh that’s right WB could borrow on what Monolith was doing with the Mordor games.

EDIT: Well base it of off I mean at least in part, interesting to hear it might have started as a Batman game too and how the Nemesis system could have worked in that setting.

It worked nicely for the Shadow games, though it requires a wide variety of abilities to work well, which could be too much work between four playable characters.

I still can’t wrap my head around why they went with Batman’s sidekicks. It feels niche and most definitely won’t sell as well as Batman would. Plus the previous Arkham games already let you play as his sidekicks quite a bit, for those that cared to.

The only way i see it making big profits like the previous games is if uhh, they add mtx or something.

Pre-order playable Alfred.

Not sure how splitting it up between some of the sidekicks is going to work over focusing on a stronger presentation and story involving primarily one of them but micro transactions are probably a very strong bet for something the game will be utilizing though for effects and cosmetics rather than actual characters which might be more for a season pass / individual DLC which I expect will also be utilized to introduce new content.

EDIT: Well it won’t be Alfred since he’s over-powered by account of British Butler type god tier powers but it could have happened. ~

EDIT: Or the older comics and a ton of other examples, he’s not Joker but still a popular character for the story writers to have fun with. :smiley:

EDIT: And on that note how will they cram Joker into this game?
(Maybe it’s just going to be Harley or they use him all the more in the Suicide Squad game.)

If you’re referring to Gotham Knight, Joker is already dead, assuming it’s a direct sequel to Arkham Knight.

Rewatched the gameplay, and did my best not to doze off this time. 4k feed here so the graphical fidelity is more apparent

It does look very nice, no complaints on the visual front and overall presentation. I’m guessing it’s cross-gen, doesn’t look next-gen but doesn’t look like this would ever run on current-gen consoles either, if that makes sense. As for combat, yeah i’m confused. Seems like counter is replaced with evading? At least in the case of Batgirl. And mid-combat takedowns do exist but sometimes they’re just used to chip away at enemy health. You can grapple enemies, which is new to Arkham games, although that’s in the Shadow games.

Also, that’s some corny dialogue, though the only game with well written dialogue i know of to this day is RDR 2 (never played the first game). Most high-end writers don’t care to work in the gaming space. Voice acting though, seems off but nothing concerning.

Oh and they’ve also added civilians. Freaking finally. I still hate that Knight didn’t add civilians.

1 Like

Guessing they replaced or reworked the longer chain combos and trying to avoid interrupts or being hit to quickly build up speed and damage (Something that the Mordor games do utilize in part come to think of it.) plus the combat system and now there’s four characters several of which rely more on weapons and active combat less than stealth or gadgets but I suppose those will be featured also.

However that’s going to work.
Also agreed, voice acting and writing and the overall banter and conversations tend to be a bit mixed. Like it when it’s a strong effort overall but sometimes it fits the game although often it’s a bit all over in terms of presentation and quality.

Thinking part of it is for the co-op and quips that tend to be used for it.

EDIT: But then that’s not entirely certain what the game is going for I suppose it just all needs more info.
(Well kinda, four characters, four controllers so very heavily leaning into co-op plus the initial thumbnail for the video looks like a classic split screen design even.)

EDIT: Oh it mentions two player co-op already and a short summary of the story and yeah Arkham Knight follow up.

Looks like a rather polarised reception to the new game so far. I think everyone can agree they miss the freeflow combat of the original Arkham games. There’s those defending this saying “but it’s not an Arkham game” which is stupid to me for two reasons: Why is this a follow up to Arkham Knight (or at least comes across as such) and also, if it is actually a reboot of sorts (since it still doesn’t completely line up with Arkham Knight’s story) then why not do an all new Batman-focused story instead?

And let’s not forget these same devs actually made an Arkham game, so ya know, it’s not stupid to expect something that expands on the system of the original Arkham games, or at least tries something brand new that actually looks fun instead of being a basic gameplay loop. - a bit like what GOW 2018 did.

But i guess in the case of games that want you to grind forever, the gameplay always has to avoid being overwhelming in any way.