Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Oh, nice…

Looks like Special K will be able to do shader mods on D3D12 games even if SK is injected after the game has already started. Pipeline State Objects (PSO) store shader bytecode instead of references to shaders, which means I can hash them even after they are loaded. Stuff like HUDless screenshots will benefit.

Additionally, replacing shaders (i.e. the Steam Overlay shader) with ones that support HDR will be easier).

4 Likes

After I finish up the D3D12 screenshot support stuff and a few loose ends, I think 0.11.1.0 is ready for release.

For 2021, I want to build a more sophisticated command console / text OSD / achievement popup that does not use CEGUI, and put some serious effort into making Special K support third-party plug-ins.

I really think the HDR stuff will explode if other parties can come in an plug-in a mod that does alternative tonemapping.

1 Like

Just saw someone on twitter ask Kojima do adapt Death Stranding to PS5, so he can user the new adaptive triggers for the balancing mini-game … my poor fingers …

Anyone know what’s going on here?

I’m seeing no option to configure controller input :confused: I’ve opted into the Steam client beta as well, and several Youtube videos show the input options appearing but it doesn’t exist for me

Re-posting junk from Discord…

For LDR screenshots not imported to Steam (i.e. because you’re not playing a Steam game), which of these behaviors is preferable?

1. HDR Screenshots in Profiles/GameName/Screenshots/HDR/.jxr, LDR Screenshots in Profiles/GameName/Screenshots/LDR/.png

2. HDR Screenshots in Profiles/GameName/Screenshots/HDR/.jxr, LDR Screenshots in Profiles/GameName/Screenshots/HDR/.png

3. Something altogether different

I should clarify – ‘LDR Screenshots’ is the tonemapped copy of the HDR screenshot, so you can share these things in places that don’t understand HDR image formats.

Windows Game Bar follows (2) and it creates a lot of clutter IMO.

Remapping is usually done on a different screen. Back out and go to “Base Configurations” in the settings. That allows you to configure things for Big Picture Mode and then Desktop usage (so basically when not in Big Picture or a game). Typically each game has it’s own profile for like remapping individual buttons to different things.

Thanks, annoyingly i couldn’t work out how to get both controller audio-converted vibration and my speakers active at the same time. The controller uses the speaker audio as input for vibration, which stops the speakers from outputting any audio if that makes sense.

Didn’t like the controller though, at least not on PC. I’m refunding it.

Steam at least provides some good alternatives for the non-XBox controllers and then anything not Direct XBox Input when game developers only focus on this API or worse only a specific controller type.

Heard good things about the haptic feedback though little on the rest of the controller so far, heard good things about the X Series controller though but it looks like another price increase though at least there’s still a bit of room between that and the ridiculously expensive “Elite” variant for the XBox One. :smiley:

Hardware overall is funny priced though and availability is difficult, hopefully that improves but that GPU upgrade I was hoping for myself yeah it’s going to be a few months later at best ha ha.

EDIT: Suppose there’s also the ergonomics looking at a comparison the X Series appears a bit thicker and more rounded.

Plus the D pad position and where the analogs are and hand comfort for that.

Maybe there’s controller grip types too like with mouse and keyboard even if the design is a bit more streamlined and familiar and less extreme nowadays. :smiley:

And then 460.79 from NVIDIA came out. :slight_smile:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/417924/geforce-46079-game-ready-driver-feedback-thread-re/

EDIT:

Game Ready for Cyberpunk and support for Minecraft Windows 10 with RTX effects.

New features:
Added Background Application Max Frame Rate control (Manage 3D Settings page)
Added Color Accuracy Mode feature (Display > Adjust Desktop Color Settings page)

Fixed issues:

Known issues:

EDIT: Unlisted there should also be some additional optimizations though how much might be very system and game dependent if anything but it’s there. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Another user also took a capture of the color accuracy mode setting.

1 Like

They stole my idea :slight_smile:

Actually… why the hell is SK the only software that offered that for years now? In any event, yay… progress.

Ah, I see that proprietary NDA-protected CSC stuff in NvAPI is finally popping up here and there :slight_smile: From what I have briefly read it includes stuff like gamut mapping that is very handy and that Special K can very much not use because of that NDA :-1:

Yeah a 30 FPS background cap isn’t bad, some games get even more drastic but it’s nice to have a good background framerate toggle as a option.

Suppose undercutting VSync and the FPS cap during loading screens wouldn’t be possible for the behavior where that’s tied to the framerate. :smiley:
(But then SpecialK has macros so in one way that’s achievable by that method of alternating the FPS cap value. :smiley: )

Good to have it as a global toggle though, less work on the GPU especially if it’s uncapped and just pushes that whine noise to the max as a result so yeah it should have been available sooner. :slight_smile:

Interesting on that NDA too, unfortunate that it (And likely other parts that could be useful but covered by similar terms.) can’t be utilized as a result of said agreement but understandable.

They seem fine with having NvAPI reverse engineered :wink:

But, for something as advanced as NvAPI’s colorspace conversion subsystem, there’s not a whole lot of potential to reverse engineer anything meaningfully. There are a few layers of obfuscation in NvAPI that mean unless you have an application (or two, or three) handy that use the NDA-protected undocumented stuff, these features might as well not even be there.

I can pick out the internals of hardware monitoring just by launching GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner and tracing its execution through nvapi64.dll, but I don’t own any software that uses the advanced image processing stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@GPUnity

Looks like Cyberpunk runs fairly well right now on most hardware.

Lol, i already brought it earlier. I’m too bored to not play it :slight_smile: I suspect this is the first time i’ll need to overclock my GPU

I think I am going to have to make the D3D12 support some kind of opt-in for the next couple of release cycles, any suggestions on how to handle this?

Obviously I can stash a setting in one of the Global*.ini files, I’m more interested in what message I should present the user with and when (before a D3D12 game is launched ideally, lol).

Maybe offer up some kind of link to a page on the Wiki?

Maybe something like “enable D3D12 beta” checkbox option in SKIF?

15 more minutes man. At least for me. :slight_smile: Since I live in the EST timezone. Though an exe was leaked already making preloads already unlockable. But I am waiting for official release.

That could work, actually…

Though, if I put it in the Options > side-menu, I guarantee nobody’s ever going to find it :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s lots of empty space here:

I could put a lot of info there if we assume users actually run this tool every once in a while :wink:

The countdown for the PC version is global. For consoles it seems to be locally at midnight, aka some console users in earlier timezones are already playing it. I feel special knowing the game still releases at 00:00 for me :slight_smile: