Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Well remember Witcher 3 was full of bugs in beginning and performed badly but now its a godsend.

We received a 50GB patch during our review period. CDPR referred to this patch as the Day 0 patch. When asked for clarification whether the patch will be what players were receiving at launch, a CDPR representative told us that the Day 0 patch is what people will be experiencing on launch day. It is the Day 1 patch, only different in name. More fixes will be rolled into the Day 0 (Day 1) patch, but we cannot specify exactly what.

That last bit sounds a bit contradicting(?), but even so it seems at least some reviewers received an (almost full) taste of the day one patch yet still claim a buggy experience. CDPR basically sent them their most recent version of the patch and yet there’s still many issues, it’s unlikely they’ll be able to fix much more between now and launch day even with major crunch.

Personally don’t recall any bugs and I played it at launch. I just know everyone complained about gameworks and pre-maxwell performance.

All I can say for Cyberpunk 2077 is for everyone who intends to play it at launch to brace themselves for a buggy game. CDPR will definitely be crunching further after launch.

Draw distance was very bad when it first came out and graphics were worse than what it is now. Also performance was quite bad. But yeah due to hairworks and such. The poppins were very bad at the start. They fixed that over time for most part.

Also should mention they did give out 27 (or 17?) free DLC’s due to its buggy mess to compensate players. All those gwent card and outfit dlc’s.

Edit:
yeah 16 free dlc’s were given out as apology for the bug mess the game was in.

Those aren’t anything game breaking, you can progress through the game just fine with those issues. Cyberpunk 77’s bug complaints are all gameplay orientated from what I’ve read.

This link goes into more detail about the bugs. No one’s allowed to show any bugs as part of the review copy agreement with CDPR. I doubt it’s because CDPR expects to address these issues by launch, it’s likely because they don’t want bad press aka an impact on sales before the game launches.

The embargo is down and no longer in effect. there is already reviews on the topic.

Also the game got leaked thru physical copies that weren’t given to reviewers and those show stuff as well.

“Unfortunately we can’t show you our gameplay footage yet, as like the rest of the reviewers we agreed to hold footage until release day later this week,”

From the article above. The embargo has lifted yes, but reviewers seemingly signed an agreement to not show anything that hasn’t been seen already till after the game’s out. Some reviewers have withheld their review video for launch day for this reason.

And do remember those that weren’t given to reviewers still leaked gameplay footage. Some ppl got to play it on ps4 b/c some copies got out for sale already. And some of those ppl recorded footage from game that aren’t shown in Review copy vids.

Yeah I know. I don’t know how many actually check leaks, both because of spoilers and lack of any patch at all assuming that’s the case.

Aka I’m assuming far more would bother with review videos but I can’t say this for a fact.

Well don’t reviewers in a way show spoilers too? I mean when they show footage of the game they are showing spoilers. But not like game story type spoilers. I tend to avoid any type of review video for that very reason.

Edit:
Should mention though I don’t take reviewers seriously anymore like pcgamers and such. Since they tend to over exaggerate stuff and mix their own political BS views into it.

Only type of reviewers I trust are like Digital Foundry. Since they actually are experts of the field.

We went over this XD

The spoiler potential could also be why CDPR don’t want reviewers showing anything new, but usually you’d just limit the review video to an early portion of gameplay if you were only concerned with spoiling the game.

I’m typing on my phone btw which is why my replies are slow

eh, yea we did, but I meant any kind of footage shown is basically spoiler. That’s the point I was getting at. I don’t even watch the official Channel videos from CDPR actually. So I should clarify I mean any kind of footage in general. So in your argument yes anything not yet shown by CDPR is basically not allowed to be seen but even that is kinda of a spoiler. Maybe some pics here and there is good to give an idea of some of the gameplay implementations and such.

Yeah I figured you were on phone. XD

Edit:
I am fine with trailers b/c usually they are just well randomized CGI scenes and maybe some gameplay elements but put into a different perspective than what is really going on in the game to hype it.

Witcher 3 had a lot of issues resolved after several patches though with the usage of the old TES2: Daggerfall routine (If not older.) keeping multiple saves around avoided script issues and broken progression.

Plenty of performance issues and instability as well that later patches possibly GPU drivers also somewhat resolved (Took a while for AMD to sort out the last of that in I think one of the 2019 drivers.) although overall it was a really fun game.

CP2077 seems like it can be good but it’ll depend on the writing and how the story manages because from the gameplay I’ve seen it’s not been very impressive so far even considering some of this is leaked PS4 footage though the later X Series S with the patch didn’t change too much either even if many visual glitches and broken AI problems were improved. :slight_smile:

Not liking how CD Project is discouraging benchmarking and performance testing either on this build for reviewers that optimization process takes weeks if not months of tuning and testing on multiple systems a few heavy weeks of work just after going gold isn’t going to be enough.

Thought there was a bit more and then there were a few performance charts which yeah there’s something CPU bound even without ray tracing and on higher-end hardware.

3090 there with a high-end but slightly older CPU and that’s a drop alright although 1920x1080 is still often more CPU bound.

DLSS is also a thing but that example image was using ultra setting so it’s extra GPU bound with ray tracing implementation as a even higher demanding setting than you’d normally get from shader or draw distance increases.

Native
Quality
Balanced
Performance
Ultra Performance

All I’m seeing there is …thank God SK’s UI works in D3D12 now :slight_smile: I can use all the performance tools on my toolbelt without exiting the game, editing SK’s INI and restarting the game.

I guarantee I can bring the 1% low up to more consistent values, unless the game is uniquely b0rked in ways we’ve never seen before :stuck_out_tongue:

Unlocks on the 10th I think but I am expecting the main improvements and updates to come with the PS5 and X Series update / build though the PC build is already separate from the current (Forwards compatible I suppose it would be then.) PS4 and XBox One versions as seen by many of the leaked videos so far. :smiley:

Hopefully nothing too problematic at least but I guess we’ll see in a few days.

For now seeing how the 6900XT launch goes which well it looks like AMD’s pricing is going to be around 1000$ so that makes it the same price as the 6800XT and 50$ or so more than the 6800 because retailer pricing is funny here at the moment. :stuck_out_tongue:

Availability’s going to be low though, some of the bigger stores are getting around 30 cards in total so that’s going to go fast.

Anyway, if you’ll excuse me… it’s high time I rush and get D3D12 screenshot support finished :slight_smile: Very important that I:

1. Implement hitch-free D3D12 screenshots
  2. Remove requirements on SteamAPI (import copies to a user’s profile)

Before Cybepunk 2077 releases. People will be complaining when the GOG / Steam version doesn’t take correct screenshots (i.e. image is all pink, too dim, or not at all). Huge market I want to tap :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Pink stuff’s the 10-bit format isn’t it, guess the others are HDR related.

Sounds good though, not having to copy/pasting from the OS print-screen feature into the image file over that effect for newer games since ReShade makes the results a little bit more mono-colored pink than intended is going to be really useful and also having support outside of Steam for GOG/EGS/UPlay/EAOrigin and such. :slight_smile:
(EDIT: Plus the few games if any in 2020 not on a launcher platform ha ha.)

I don’t even remember, lol :slight_smile: It’s been so long since I used the official Steam screenshot function. I used SteamAPI to hook and replace screenshot capture to avoid the HDR-unaware capture code that exists in the Steam overlay.

I tried explaining the problem 3 or 4 times to Valve, but unlike Doitsujin (DXVK), Valve never saw any value in my work and they just ignored me :-\ Would have been great to work on this stuff together and make Steam the first (PC) platform to support end-to-end HDR.

1 Like

Yeah I suppose the overlay D3D12 support for many of these clients are still not all there.
HDR probably as a even more varied somewhat but not really supported feature too which I would have expected to see resolved at this point with OS and PC game HDR improving in support.

EDIT: But that still hasn’t happened, Valve is doing a lot of work going by the Steam beta client updates but this is still lagging behind for whatever reason.

Guess it’s a multiple issues thing too with HDR web browser and image format support as well being a problem.

Actually… yeah, that’s another thing. Valve needs to write a D3D12 native overlay. Considering how their overlay works, it is trivial.

They’re just uploading an image that was rendered by a different application any time something changes. That’s more efficient in D3D12 (not that it was inefficient in D3D11), and would be more stable if done natively.

AMD 20.12.1
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-12-1

EDIT: Looks like availability of the 6900XT lasted…30 seconds to a minute. :smiley: