Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

NVIDIA control panel with my RTX 3070 only exposes options for YCBCR 4:2:0 or 4:4:4… No 4:2:2 which I’d really like to try out to see if I can use it without my audio lag problem. Any ideas for how to get 4:2:2?

From what I can find it depends on what the display or TV supports (So what the EDID info reports back I presume.) and various overrides and custom modes said TV could be using.

Looks like Samsung has Game Mode but that enforces 4:2:2 whereas PC mode is unrestricted.
HDR seems like it also affects what’s available and there might be the ability to try with a custom resolution and if that allows for additional options.

EDIT: Plus the bit depth and then I guess that comes down the bandwidth and what’s available under which mode together with the display resolution and refresh rate.

Think Kaldaien was using a ~90Hz somewhere range for that reason to avoid compression.
(On let’s see here I think that’s with HDMI 2.0 for 10-bit 4:4:4 at 3840x2160 and a higher refresh rate though not the full 120+ range without Display Port 1.4 or HDMI 2.1 support.)

Trying to find more info but there’s a lot on this topic so quite a bit to look up and go through. :slight_smile:

I’d probably go through what the TV supports and then any info on overrides and modes if these enforce anything first and if that changes what’s reported back to the GPU and the list of modes as a result and the RGB range and formats and such. :slight_smile:

Computer display would probably be more about bandwidth and how it’s hooked up if it goes through other devices and how the GPU and OS processes these which also seemed like it could be problematic or change what’s supported and available. :slight_smile:

Custom resolution doesn’t let you pick subsampling unfortunately. I know the TV supports 4:2:2 but I just can’t find anyway to force that as the output on windows with this NVIDIA driver.

I did a test with 60hz output and found the audio lag happened even then. So it’s not a bandwith issue necessarily? It could still be a cable issue. I guess I’m ditching VRR for now, and I’ll have to cross my fingers and buy a different cable, or buy a USB audio dac, if I want to use HDR and VRR at the same time

1 Like

Interesting, wonder what is affecting that signal like that but there are some problems and criteria to the best of my knowledge so it’s hard to pin-point it unless there’s some info on it being some hardware issue and then there’s the firmware as well or the drivers and OS itself.

AMD’s drivers have some back and forth with signal noise and latency but I think NVIDIA and also the new Ampere GPU hardware is doing pretty well with the current drivers although some later posted info tells that not all fixes that were expected landed is this latest driver.

Both of them should have something for next week though, Cyberpunk 2077 from NVIDIA possibly a driver branch update too and for AMD there’s the 6900 GPU launch.

And for the audio device via HDMI that’s more about passing it through into this other hardware which then handles it, don’t think audio formats or such should be affecting it and how it’s seen by the OS for what type of device and it’s capabilities.

Not something I am very familiar with myself though, something about 1920x1080 even if it doesn’t do display output for some features and hopefully the newest OS updates and OS build itself doesn’t have too many known issues or problems around this.
(Fairly certain there were a few things but it’s since been worked out as Microsoft supports newer audio formats and fixes various issues and bugs as they get reported.)

EDIT: Need to look it up a bit more too like community responses for similar inquiries perhaps.

But why VRR and HDR causes issues here is curious it’s mostly been about sound bars and Dolby Atmos and firmware or hardware problems little about HDR or variable rate refresh or both together.

These are HDMI packets after all unless there’s some delay or interruption it should be sending audio and video data bits over and it should work but something is clearly introducing some form of delay but why.

Does Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 support HGIG? I have compared HGIG and normal, and HGIG mode looks very different from if it was simply applying a hard clip (like it does for non-HDR content).

1 Like

Replayed and finally completed Black Mesa :smiley: God damn, that game is a good remake of Half-Life. It has a few harsh edges here and there still, but it oozes quality everywhere.

Many of the frustrations or issues that it had back in 2015 when it first entered early access have also been taken care of.

Edit: It’s also a game that Special K fails to hook for some reason. I had to manipulate the import table of the executable to load d3d9.dll locally to get SK injected into it.

2 Likes

Source has some sub folder for all it’s .dll files I think, might be some remnant OpenGL stuff too if that changes up anything.

Nice to hear the full release is a solid improvement over the earlier non-Xen builds and what they’ve done to the game and engine since then. λ

EDIT: Oh so that’s HGIG, learned something new.

Initial search results mostly returned a interest group for HDR Gaming but there’s a actual toggle in some of the newer TV models called the same apparently separate off of regular tone mapping.

Seeing as there isn’t a way to tell Windows what the max CLL your display can do, it’s impossible for it to support HGIG properly

However no game needs “support” HGIG for it to be used correctly. Just set the max brightness in game with HGIG on and you’ve achieved the same effect.

1 Like

I tried no VRR with Jedi Fallen Order but found it just about unplayable, that game is REALLY choppy. For now I’ve settled with using my motherboard audio. The quality is actually OK for video games, it only really struggles with high res music. I suppose I will just get a USB audio dac at some point.

I will never find out what the exact problem is unless someone with a 2.1 device and LG ever runs into the same issue. It’s just one of those things, my assumption is that it’s on LG because their software seems underdeveloped compared to some others like Sony and Panasonic. If it’s not the cable.

1 Like

Yeah they have had a number of issues with firmware updates as the method to try and resolve some of these but there’s far as I can tell very little to no release information provided and it’s difficult to say how the hardware side of this support goes.

GPU wise NVIDIA has to my knowledge resolved a number of Ampere display related issues as well but more specific ones like dual display 8k setups causing a black screen issue on these cards.

Guessing they same as AMD can also micro-code patch the GPU through the drivers instead of a full bios update but if it wasn’t for the Linux drivers being more open then it wouldn’t really be known that AMD frequently does this because these and other resolved issues or tweaks go unmentioned in the driver documentation.

Jedi Fallen Order I’ve heard is also quite a problematic title although better on PC and I presume PS5 and X Series also now have the hardware to force through the performance issues better even though it’s running on a more recent Unreal Engine 4 build but I’ve read it’s been fairly jittery or stutter prone on both PC and console hardware and after some patching done to the game too.

So not too surprising hardware sync helps out at least somewhat, wonder if the way they use these longer slow-walk sections causes it to momentarily chug as it streams in the next level chunk but there’s likely more to it.

Probably just needed more time, feels like the game had a lot of remnant not entirely implemented but still used parts.
A crafting system or upgrade mechanic to name what seems like a more obvious one for all the cosmetic only stuff players can find should they decide to trek back into earlier levels with the new traversal modes available later in the game.

EDIT: Maybe the game never had the longevity EA goes for with some of their more online focused games and establishes franchises thus the lack of more support seen here.
(But it is nice to see these older style games somewhat remain over the open world or online integration that is the big thing currently.)

Square Enix doing stuff again.

Still would be really nice to merge the higher quality visuals with the gameplay additions for a best of both edition.

So on GOG Galaxy I have Cyberpunk Preloaded. When you launch game you get this beautiful screen pop up. lol.

I am stoked. I do work Wednesday Lunch time but am off in afternoon and all day Thursday. So it should be fun time lol.

Edit:
@JonasBeckman
Well Yakuza Like A Dragon pretty much advertises Dragon Quest throughout the game at many points in the game. Apparently its protagonist Childhood game he played and learned most from. In fact most of the hero stuff job thing comes from that game in fact. I think.

2 Likes

SENIX has a amazing IP portfolio, doesn’t need to do this. Almost looks like they don’t want the money .

I’m pretty sure modders are already working to bring some of the assets from the OG to the DE.
The main graphical differences:

• Worse grass quality and spread.
  • HD assets are worst, but not by a long margin. It is between the OG steam version and the ones used on SWITCH.
  • Character models where simplified and changed. (this will difficult a simple transfer o assets).
  • The lightning is hit or miss, on some the OG looks better in others the DE looks better.

New Vulcan extension that supposedly allows for exclusive fullscreen mode on Win10.

@Kaldaien

This might be of interest for you. Supposedly it allows users running Win10 Pro for Workstations (the new tier above Win10 Pro) to cause the Windows desktop compositor to release a display by using the “Advanced display settings” sub-page of the “Display settings” control panel.

It might be perfect in your scenario where you use HDMI for audio output only. Theoretically you might (if you have an applicable Win10 edition) set the display as a specialized display which might just allow its use for audio only without adding it to the display setup in Windows.

Think AMD had one for a while, curious as to how Khronos hasn’t made a general one out of it and now there’s two.

…And a quick check and yeah there is a general one.
https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan/specs/1.2-extensions/man/html/VK_EXT_full_screen_exclusive.html

EDIT: Also El Shaddai is coming to Steam. :slight_smile:

EDIT:

“It’s as if Lady Gaga made a video game.”

Magazine quotes are fascinating and weird. :smiley:

GAH, it didn’t properly work the way I’d expected.

Based on my own limited testing (using DisplayPort), “removing” the display from the desktop also ends up removing it as a capable audio output device in Nvidia’s control panel.

What a shame…

And yes, I totally just upgraded to the Win10 Pro for Workstation tier to test this shit out…

So according to reviews, Cyberpunk 2077 is quite buggy. To what extent i’m not sure. Interestingly, review copies seem exclusive to PC, no console reviews yet. I personally think i’ll wait for some patches before picking it up.

The review patch isn’t the same as the day one patch, just FYI. The day one patch will likely fix a lot of stuff. Of course, by waiting, the game will only get better with a lower price and less bugs.