Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

240 GiB remaining, roughly.

The Wiki itself has 25 GiB, which I expect will never be filled :stuck_out_tongue:
The forums have 60 GiB, which will probably take a few years even with backups being generated regularly.

Clearly, he was building an entry-level super computer using those 64 Ryzen 9 5950x’s but then noticed the market demand and decided to scalp them instead :slight_smile: Mystery solved.

Hilariously, AMD has a strong presence in Orlando. Their mobile graphics department (is/was?) based there. I think they sold that off though. A former colleague of mine used to work there.

EDIT: Or maybe it just got moved? The URL for this job posting suggests there’s still some kind of tie in w/ Orlando even though the location is in Texas…

1 Like

The RT performance on RDNA2 is extremely disappointing.
AMD’s Ray Accelerators (RAs) are behind Nvidia’s Turing RT cores. So they are 2 generations behind as far as ray tracing goes.

6800XT essentially becomes slightly faster than a 3060 when RT is involved.

This also explains why the XSX RTX2080-equivalent GPU turns into an RTX 2060 when ray tracing is involved (tested by Digital Foundry in Watch Dogs running XSX identical settings).

Pure path-traced workload really shows how big the gap is, 3080 performs x2.4 faster than 6800XT without DLSS.

But even if their RT performance was on par, they still have no DLSS which is also extremely important to offset the cost.

They already pre-emptively told media, like Gamers Nexus, that their “Super Resolution” feature was not a competitor to DLSS and that it works differently. Since they have no Tensor hardware equivalent (plus their absence in the AI space, meaning no expertise like Nvidia has), whatever this feature is, it’s going to be extremely lackluster.

I expect it’s just some kind of checkerboard rendering/temporal upsampling technique.

1 Like

What’s a KO GPU? Is that like RIP? The card sucks so much it died in the middle? :stuck_out_tongue:

How is it over-saturating?

LG OLED has a color gamut setting which I leave on Auto, and it looks perfectly normal in SDR.

First time I’ve seen anyone suggest that you need to run HDR to get accurate color.

TV wise and OLED I’m a bit out of it, desktop displays though LG seem to be utilizing DCI-P3 which is stronger in saturation and then factory calibration and settings have in most cases had very strong brightness applied by default.
(SRGB is supported but can look a bit muted with a lot of the other settings locked if switching from the DCI-P3 color modes.)

Seems a few newer TV’s use these modes that when enabled also helps with disabling some of the usual enhancements and extras and if demonstrations are anything to go by it’s always some very vivid scene often a focus on stronger reds I believe.

EDIT: Calibration results will vary from one unit to another too and hardware calibration requires some expensive hardware though it sounds like it’s well worth doing if you’re serious about setting it up correctly.

EDIT: Oh and AMD’s drivers possibly NVIDIA’s too you want to compare and check what’s enabled and default here how it handles EDID and what mode it’s utilizing and such stuff. :slight_smile:
(Back then NVIDIA also had this Digi Vibrance effect if you wanted more saturation.)

Certainly is popular though, ReShade presets or more recently the in-game photo modes as that became increasingly popular often come with a saturated effect for example.

Low luminance images are saturated way beyond what they should be for the sRGB specification. I get why they do that; same reason nobody adheres to 80 nits = whitepoint in SDR.

But in HDR you can set the Windows desktop’s target SDR whitepoint wherever you want it, and that mitigates the problem. I have mine set to 10% (~140 nits), that keeps fleshtones from being saturated way beyond where they should be when I’m browsing the web. It’s necessary to do this on pretty much every HDR monitor and TV I have tested, it seems merely supporting HDR on a display carries with it SDR picture presets that always oversaturate.

Things could be worse, keep in mind…

There’s something rotten in YouTube… I have > 100 subscriptions, and my subscribed video feed is the same 5 or 6 channels over and over. I know the other channels I am subscribed to are also producing new content, but YouTube is playing favorites and not showing me the actual feed.

Isn’t it some algorithm or based on popularity and what’s trending?

I don’t know how subscriptions work but the daily stuff is noise, loud reading of lengthy texts (Upwards of 10 hour videos.) and then whatever music channel Youtube wants me to like and the CV19 status update no matter how often you close it.

Sometimes political stuff like the US election and other news.

EDIT: Possibly combined with Google telemetric data or generic when using ad/script blockers for some of that stuff and it can’t personalize it.

EDIT: And what you view it kinda uses that as some template I believe.

It shouldn’t be any of that :-\ If I wanted an AI to tell me what it thinks I like, I wouldn’t bother subscribing to channels I actually do like :stuck_out_tongue:

I think they’re actively trying to hide some creators they don’t want to succeed. < tin-foil hat >

There’'s been a LOT of discussions about how annoying the recommendations and how hard it is to personalize this it’s pretty well known but even using more in-depth browser extensions it’s really tough to change it up and make it work well far as I’ve come to understand.

Google/Youtube also changes stuff around a lot, as a Firefox user it makes it tough to maintain compatibility and working performance and playback with videos and the rest of the site but I’d imagine not being on the later Chromium builds gives a similar experience.

480p is still the best in terms of playback reliability, above that it often hits streaming issues and barely buffers a few seconds which can be a real hassle ha ha.
On a good day though playback up to 1080p mostly works, 60 FPS tend to function better and video quality is…watchable. (That one even with the newer encodings is just a general issue though.)

“Ring the bell to get instant notifications!”

is what you’re after, I guess… It’s supposed to counteract that with some channels’ videos not appearing in the feed.

What settings should I use for Yakuza Like A Dragon for SK?

No idea, the game won’t stop stuttering and giving me motion sickness. I cannot play it. I can’t get a refund either :-\

1 Like

Huh interesting. lol. Well time to see what I can do rofl. I booted up game it made my pc flip out with SK on. The whole resolution conflict took place.

Edit:
Uh I swear I didn’t make game fullscreen exclusive. I changed it to borderless mode. Most likely the damn game didn’t save settings properly.

I think someone at YouTube heard me… my Subscription list just filled up with content I’ve been missing for a while… such as this gem:

1 Like

I have done this already… I think Yakuza LAD is basically thinking borderless mode is fullscreen exclusive lol.

Uh what. The game booted up in Windowed mode

It’s a @#$%tty port, I’m sure it does all sorts of things wrong. I just wish I could get a refund and buy it on Xbox Series X.

Not before trying to go fullscreen, like the crappy game it is :-\

It’s also got memory leaks. Good luck, you’re going to need it.