Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

I’m pretty sure you called it generic just before the final posted variant i posted, which actually acheived what i was going for. You also didn’t clarify why it was generic in the first place, even now i’m not entirely sure what makes it generic, but there’s no point digging into that at this point.

The whole banner would be black and white, if there was no colour. Fine for a logo, but for a banner that covers more information, seems awkward. The coloured outline assisted in giving the overall banner some pop.

Maybe it is just me, but the “SK” looks really slapped on (and tbf kind of was). It only seems appropriate in the chip design.

That being said, there’s enough users here to provide feedback, if most do want the SK letters to stay (which already seems to be the case), then i can’t do anything about that.

I’m not sure how I would go about elaborating it further than I already have – it’s a design that doesn’t stand out in any noticeable way, nor has any ties to SK itself (at least the previous ones attempted a pixelated look), and looks rather unimaginable.

This is something I don’t agree with. A cohesive whole is what’s important, and if that happens to be grayscale then that’s fine. The only thing that I find “popping” with the banner is the unexpected red outline that otherwise has no ties to the rest of the banner.

A good middleground, I imagine, would’ve been to introduce some shade of a color (e.g. a shade of green, blue, red, or yellow) somehow in the rest of the banner along with being a subtle border around the square. That way one would preserve the cohesive whole while still retaining the border around the square.

• And maybe used a color that features more prominently in SK as well, such as the OSD yellow or SKIM/control panel blue. That particular reddish tone is typically just use for buttons or more ‘obscure’ setting panes (or bad frame pacing I guess).

This is, in parts, intended. I don’t know if you did (or if we did it together – I’ve forgotten), but I experimented with various options at the time that had the SK text use a similar overlay styling as the edge border, but those attempts resulted in the letters looking worse and in some cases when resized to a smaller resolution parts of the S letter, for example, started to almost look blurry compared to the rest of the letter.

Having two miscolored letters also looked off but for different reasons.

Some examples:

Other fonts and styles were also experimented with, but at the end of the day the most simplest variant won out.

Is this a limitation you have imposed yourself, btw? The SVG format itself shouldn’t be limited to only those colors.

It’s something Illustrator is doing, for whatever reason. Not something that happens when exporting.

The first two colour options are literally labelled white and black, but neither are pure white or pure black.

I’m new to the format though, and the software, aka if i know i have more headroom, then i can try work something out.

An example of the difference, after importing into Photoshop. The bottom right of the logo is Illustrator “white”, the back layers transition to Illustrator black.

Think i fixed it, and the pixels are bigger here so it scales better at a lower size. The luminance difference per block might still be a bit big though.
Logo4-7

2 Likes

50% off already…

I wonder if this has something to do with “paper colors” or something like that? Wasn’t Illustrator used to create print arts or such? Might be related anyway.

Not sure, i’ve only ever used Photoshop.

Anyways, after some more experimenting it seems i can adjust the SVG logo further to look much closer to the original. If that’s needed, then it will have to wait for tomorrow.

You know, I would like to take a wild swing at this and contribute to logo design.

Is there any baseline requirements that I should be aware of?

@Colonel_Gerdauf Not really – feel free to go wild. Do note though that there’s no guarantee that the logo will actually change.

@GPUnity The new SVG variant looks great. The “SK” might be a bit too bright compared to the background, but that’s a minor note.

It’s live both here and on the wiki :+1:

This is my first attempt to remake the good olde logo. Any input is welcome.

Cyberpunk 2077

Doesn’t help that they didn’t state the frame rate, if it’s 60 then this is really well optimised, but that’s unlikely.

1 Like

Love this variant actually. And the bigger blocks actually looks better in my honest opinion actually. I love it since its not too small and even at tiny size it would look good. I think this version looks better than the one we been using for a while just for fact that those pixels are bigger. Looks marvelous :smile:

This made my day if this is true requirements. I would be happy if I can sustain even 40 or 50 fps with these settings. I have that exact CPU and the RX 5700 XT Strix OC Gamer’s edition one. I play at 1440p so I am perfectly good on these specs if they are the real deal.

oh yeah my 2060 super arrived

1 Like

Can someone explain how “peak white luminance” works? I just got an LG CX and for some reason it’s saying that my peak white luminance (with full HDR luminance enabled) is 1500 nits, but I thought that the peak brightness of the LG CX is 700 - 800 nits? This is weird because disabling full HDR luminance actually sets it to 800 nits, which is around what it should be. So clearly i’m misunderstanding how it works, I thought that it was controlling the peak brightness, and the max non-custom value with full HDR luminance enabled was supposed to be capped out at the display’s rated peak brightness.

Any way to create a hud toogle in AC valhalla? I know that dx12 is not compatible with current methods with earlier games

No, the HUD toggle works by tracking the current shader. I don’t have any way to do that in D3D12.

The display tonemaps luminance, it’s kind of a lie. I think LG is counting on the fact that black performance is so good that they will just take an image with the range of 0.001 nits - 1500 nits and tonemap it to the display’s actual capabilities and it’ll perform every bit as good as a display that can actually output that.

It’s not technically 1500 nits either. They set it to 1499.99, which technically puts it .1 nits lower than a certain display standard :wink: It was deliberately chosen, I know this. Kind of a shame that the EDID info is manipulated this way by manufacturers, but it is what it is.

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jxmhgc/6800xt_falls_off_the_cliff_at_4k_1080p_1440p_are/

Interesting, makes it more curious as to what a larger bus bit would have changed if AMD had went for that maybe even combined with yet more cache and additional infinity fabric memory as a result.

Excellent for high refresh rate 1080p and 1440p though but above that these GPU’s have their limits.

Also seems OEM supplies of the 5000 series CPU are fine but that’s leading to some re-selling opportunities even if these types are not to be resold like this. :stuck_out_tongue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jxk6xh/advanced_technologies_international_bulk_selling/

I like how it makes it so ATI (Advanced Technologies International.) is exploiting AMD here. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Yeah 6850 variants or a 6950 possibly a 6970 just because for HBM2 although changing the memory stuff that extensively would be unlikely.

Keeps up in terms of performance but that drop is quite hefty so a obvious shortcoming and then there’s downsampling or higher resolution 5820x2880 or 7680x4320 which would be even worse.

@Kaldaien, how much storage do you have on the CDN? Here’s all archives of older versions of SK (3.24 GB uncompressed) that I thought you could upload to the CDN.

https://files.aemony.se/sharex/SK_Archives_0_8_x_to_0_10_x.7z

The plan is for me to then create a table on the wiki containing a direct link to the CDN URL along with information about what the version introduced.

I already have most of the details ready based on the work I did for SKTiny a year or so ago, so this is all technically just SK-AltInjector/repository.json at master · Aemony/SK-AltInjector · GitHub but in another form.

Edit: Shame we sorta ended up losing this sort of point-detailed separate archives for the Steam-based 0.11.x versions :expressionless: