Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

For the longest of time Visual Studio Code, which is built on Chromium, had a ton of HDR related issues from being too dark to being too bright, to not appearing correctly on secondary SDR monitors when attached to a HDR monitor.

That was one of the key reasons why I never bothered using HDR myself.

Looking into it right now, though, it seems that they finally fixed that – maybe hopefully permanently this time around…

So yeah, hearing that Chrome also has HDR related issues doesn’t surprise me.

It’s so weird to me that there’s a standalone product called Visual Studio Code and it uses a completely different renderer for its editor than the full-blown Visual Studio does :slight_smile:

The biggest criticism of Visual Studio over the years has been that the IDE is 32-bit and this limits the number of plug-ins and their performance. I can see why Microsoft would explore a standalone editor, but not why it would be based on a browser framework. That is just going to bring back issues with memory constraints if it ever becomes the core of the full Visual Studio product.

BTW, thanks a million for all the work on the Wiki. I never expected that much that quickly :slight_smile: I haven’t even found the time / energy to finish the HDR calibration guide.

I really like the formatting options available, it seems Steam has been holding back my desire to write documentation for years. Writing directions in the Steam forums is so tedious and embedding diagrams … forget about it :stuck_out_tongue:

Visual Studio Code :melogold:

On another note, it’s noticeable how Wiki.js is still rather “young” in its functionalities. It has, for example, support for using “Mermaid” to render custom flow charts, and its mentioned on their Markdown documentation page, but if you actually attempts to use it you’ll find that while it works properly during editing, it doesn’t actually get rendered (saved) correctly by the server.

And if you then attempt to troubleshoot it you’ll find that the Mermaid rendering module only seems to be featured below the HTML->HTML rendering pipeline, with none mentioned below Markdown->HTML rendering pipeline – which is confusing!

Looking into it a bit further shows that there’s an extension called “Puppeteer” that can be installed which allows for server-side rendering:

Headless chromium browser for server-side rendering. Required for generating PDF versions of pages and render content elements on the server (e.g. Mermaid diagrams)

Looks like that applies, right? But on the same page:

New extensions cannot be installed at the moment. This feature is coming in a future release.

:sob:

And trying to find installation instructions for Puppeteer for Wiki.js seems impossible – they don’t even mention the extension at all in the official Wiki.js documentation!

But then! After looking through and trying to figure a solution out, I discovered the “Kroki” diagram parser mentioned in the official Wiki.js documentation that offers external server-side rendering!

And what do you know? It actually works! Although only for server-side rendering so during editing one needs to still rely on the Markdown client-side rendering before migrating the thing over to Kroki-based server-side rendering just before hitting that Save button…

So during editing (client-side rendering):

```mermaid

graph LR
   mermaid stuff here
```

Just before hitting save (server-side rendering):

```kroki
mermaid

graph LR
   mermaid stuff here
```

You can see an example of a mermaid diagram here:

https://wiki.special-k.info/en/Installation/Tools#global-injection

Just an example of how young Wiki.js still is…

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

The site is freeing as well in how I don’t have to adhere to either Steam’s or PCGW’s ‘single-page focus’ which probably helped a lot. I imagine I might add /a lot/ of random notes, information, and stuff here and there eventually — on both important stuff and less important.

One of the things I want to add is screenshots for all relevant sections, as well as a breakdown of the overall control panel as well as the various tools available and their options available. Having visual information straight from the get-go often allows users to feel more comfortable in using an application.

Here’s all the SVG logos i’ve cooked up, i did an “SK” variant as well. I assume the borders on the pixel logo are thick enough to scale fine at smaller resolutions.

Logo3-14

Logo4-1

Logo4-5

Assuming i’m limited to web colours, i can’t make this any darker.

I like the first one, look s pretty nice

Thanks, i’m hoping we do go with that one. The others are just a recreation of existing ones, and don’t work too well with SVG limitations.

@Kaldaien check your Discord messages please

Asked for a SVG variant of the current logo, got roped into a whole rehash of redoing the logo entirely.

I don’t care beyond the annoying detraction this have resulted in in regards to the wiki itself.

The new logo, while fine, is ultimately generic and as I mentioned not tied to “SK” itself — but I have already mentioned that as well.

And again, detraction from the focus that was intended to be on the new wiki itself.

Let’s met up again in 3-4 months when another redesign will be forced through, going by this one.

Are you okay over there?

On the topic of the wiki, it is my hope that we will eventually be able to move all currently separate game-specific mod guides and whatnot over to it. Having FAR, TBFix, etc all in appropriate subpages in the wiki would be awesome for allowing users to use one place for all documentation regarding Special K.

I’m annoyed at the forced way this sudden logo redesign was brought up, and that I ended up waiting for something that was never really delivered (the current logo in SVG) before I threw the current PNG logo on the wiki.

The current logo identity, bar SKIF itself, revolves around “SK” everywhere. It’s in the favicon, the primary logo used everywhere, and even in Kaldaien’s avatars.

“SK” basically is Special K’s current identity everywhere.

And now just a few months after we had the last logo redesign you’re attempting to force another one – now with a generic logo with no connection to SK itself. I still don’t even understand what exactly is the thought behind the new logo – what ties it to SK? It look like a square paper cutout with two flipped over corners.

The current logo has its minor issues yes – the 1px inner border in particular and how it looks on modern ‘circle’ containes – but not any glaring omissions necessitating a completely new and entirely different redesign.

And part of the annoyance is the fact that despite me wanting to not have any parts in this discussion at all, I’m continuously forced to if only to question everything.

I’ve already delivered that though.

I also never stated you must use my new logo. You could’ve easily just grabbed the quoted logos and ignored me.

Maintains the pixel theme and grey colour scheme.

You coud’ve said this earlier. Saying “generic” isn’t a clear indicator of what’s the problem.

I am gonna go ahead and put my input in this as well. But I do agree with Aemony. At least have the “SK” letters in the logo. You can redesign the whole background logo itself but at least keep up with the theme of SK’s recognition. The first logo I seen is a bit too generic and too simple by itself.

@GPUnity
I have done about 9 Months of Social Media marketing training and I understand that you need to make the logo very in sync with any background is used. It needs to both look good in color and black and white. It needs to hit a certain spectrum of colors and balance out against any other background possible. That’s what is very heavily stressed in making a logo for company or for any product.

Just out of curiosity is those logos you shown transparent to some degree? If it causes so much issues on certain sites might be wiser to make it not transparent and have a full blown solid / Patternized background with no transparency. I do love the whole blending of grading of white to dark grey. It does fit with SK by a good amount :slight_smile:

Just an idea to throw out there. I wonder if you can fuse the first logo with SK letters but have those letters as a different color or do the background part as different colors and keep SK to its color scheme?

Edit1:
On Side note it looks like my PC is ready to hit update windows 10 version 20H2. Should I go for it?

I think a misunderstanding plays a factor here too. I never actually wanted the logo with “SK” written on top to be used (excluding the chip icon)

I did message Kal about changing it back when this Discourse was started, and i think this is the only time (besides the chip icon) the SK letters are used. One of these logos should’ve been used instead at the top of this site

sktaskbaricon

Alphaicon5-256x256

And since they were never replaced, the “SK” letters have become associated with Special K.

And SVG is clearly limiting, that SVG version i sent of the pixel logo just looks ugly and can barely match the original look due to the colour limitations.

Yeah that uh is the very issue that me and Aemony have. Those letters have been used since pretty much day 1. And is most recognizable thing about SK’s logo. Changing that bit is a bit too far and would most likely confuse a lot of ppl badly since that bit was established pretty hard. Even most professional companies when change logo actual stick to a specific detail that is usually very consistent so that it matches the product and doesn’t cause too much of headache for ppl.

Kaldaiens work / logo’s always usually had his name written in full or his initials. Changing that bit would be like changing entire product itself. A bit too much for something that has been basically there since the beginning.

On side note I gotta leave for work. I will be working all day today so will be in touch later in afternoon.

They’re SVGs, so they’re both transparent and infinite in resolution, since they’re vectors rather than images.

I never found a colour that looked right, besides maybe a pale maroon for the outline, like what’s used here

But i didn’t find a good way to transfer that maroon into the new concept logo.

Btw since it’s limited to web colours, there is no pure black or pure white area in the logo, so it looks fine against those backgrounds.

Every Ubisoft game I’ve played has this issue

As for icon talk, I prefer the SK text even if it was never intended

That’s one part of the banner I’ve never actually understood or liked… :expressionless: An inner overlay border the like of the below would probably look better.

sktaskbaricon

The ‘generic’ comes from the base itself. I did, after all, call the first revision of the suggestion generic as well:

The 3D gradients just enhanced the “square paper cutout with two flipped over corners” look:

So it doesn’t matter if you were to improve or make away with the “square paper cutout with two flipped over corners” look when the base of the core itself is what lends itself to the ‘generic’ marker.

To be honest, I’m not sure they would be better. I love their overall design and everything, but… “SK”…