Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

On another note, the base of the wiki is almost finished now. The most important stuff from PCGW have been copied over and rephrased/rewritten/updated where I noticed was appropriate.

Some stuff remains to be moved over (e.g. keybindings, issues, config parameters, etc) which I’ll get to later – as well as in general attempt to further tidy the place up and restructure some pages and their sections (e.g. I want to divide Video Management into various ‘main’ categories like “Window management” etc).

Refined it just a little further. This actually maintains that “pixels” approach, it’s technically a combination of shapes i made from nine large pixels. If i darken it, it will probably look very similar to the older logos.
Logo3-4

We’re talking about a SVG that will at worst be sized 34x34 – that look is fine for it. The key is to retain the same overall design across multiple services while also adhering to the various themes used.

For example, the reason why I mentioned that logo with the “SK” on it is because otherwise the icon ends up being half invisible against the background of the wiki:

So by using the “SK” logo we’d not only match Discourse but also Discord, ergo achieving a matching identity across all services.

And on that note, I ended up throwing the existing PNG at the wiki instead in the meanwhile.

And i’m not happy with that one, never was. I’ve asked for this discourse logo to be changed as well with the one used for SKIF, and this new SVG logo can easily be applied for all the platforms.

I’ve dropped the brightness to better match the older look, and i much prefer this new look. I should clarify, i’m not arguing for this new look, i’m arguing against the old look. If this new look isn’t good, that’s what i want to know. Sorry if i come across annoying, it’s just now is a better time than any to change that logo for the better.
Logo3-6

There’s even this if it really needs to better match the previous. I can’t do the same “overlay with pure white” technique with SVGs.
Logo3-7

The current logo is fine. It serves it’s purpose of being instantly recognizable and identifiable as being for SK aka Special K.

Not to be that guy but your alternative examples are too generic. They might’ve worked for a larger more common-place symbol with its own meaning, but using e.g. one of those on the SK Discord server would result in non-regulars question what the hell random server that logo is for, and when they joined that one.

That was the purpose of adding “SK” to the current logo — to allow users to instantly identify it as being related to Special K and give further weight to the SK acronym.

Any logo can become recognizable over time (if unique enough) due to people associating the logo with its purpose. Look at VLC, it’s just an orange cone, but that logo instantly screams “video player” because you associate it with playing videos.

If you’re worried no one will know it’s “Special K”, discord and the wiki both have the name visible next to the logo.

I see where you’re coming from, and yes that current logo is easy to identify, it just doesn’t look professional at all and is very basic looking. If my current example is still “meh”, that just means i have to work on making a better one.

Should be my last variant of this logo design, i’ve sorted out the gradients properly to achieve a more 3D look.
Logo3-13

(same thing but smaller view)
Logo3-13

Eh, seems the Tobii 5 free game campaign ends in some 12 hours or so, som I am probably going to go for it.

Tested AutoHDR on the Series X. Although a few games were disabled due to not looking correct, one or two have slipped through the cracks. The effect seems to work better for OG Xbox games and Xbox One titles. 360 support is hit and miss. It seems the worst with titles that appeared on both the One and the 360. Call of Duty Ghosts ,Borderlands 1 and Borderlands 2 for instance get muted muzzle flashes and overexposed clouds.

In comparison to SpecialK’s HDR though, it does seem at handling conversion of logos, videos and UI elements to HDR, outside of the 360 boot up video which gets overblown. It definitely needs more work but it’s a decent feature. Special K seems superior but is more limited due to only supporting DX11 titles.

Interesting the game Pathless uses R10G10B10A2 even if i have no HDR display connected, SpecialK also shows this when my TV is connected but turned off, and not set as primary monitor.
Does SK think that AOC U3277PWQU is a HDR monitor, even the HDR widget popups, and can be enabled lol, but of course the monitor has no HDR signal handling so it just looks bad unless it’s tonemapped down to SDR again.

And the frametimes in the game are kind of bad even with the framerate limiter + flip mode, and waitable swapchain turned on.

Well your monitor does use a Wide Gamut Profile which is what HDR uses to work btw.
https://us.aoc.com/en/monitors/u3277pwqu

Might explain why HDR is popping up on the monitor.

Well that certainly explains why the audio sounds so poor.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/jx8lpc/analysis_assassins_creed_highlights_a_very/
(From Era: reddit (captainstarpaw)| Analysis: Assassin's Creed highlights a very concerning trend regarding how game audio is being poorly handled. | ResetEra )

2 Likes

I saw that thread, too. Someone in the comments would even argue that they couldn’t use higher quality sound due to memory constrains.

If you ask me, thats just an excuse for incompetence.

Lots of games use 10-bit color, it’s been a recommended practice from Microsoft since Windows Vista :slight_smile: Unreal Engine has been doing it by default for as long as I can remember, recent versions of Unity Engine also seem to have gotten the memo.

Everyone else, however, seems to be stuck in the 90’s using 8-bit color :slight_smile:

As for SK believing your monitor is HDR… it’s Windows that’s reporting it as supporting the scRGB colorspace. Other games are going to detect it as HDR as well.

1 Like

Yeah the standard from years ago was 44100/16 and it sounds like Origins and Odyssey at least used that but more for the ambient soundtracks plus lossless audio should process just fine on modern hardware as well might even be easier on the processor not dealing with compression as much and 4.5 GB of data for the package files to 9 GB with much better quality isn’t a huge deal for how much of a improvement that’d be already.

This game does have a soundtrack as well but it’s used less frequently unless you turn up the setting for it from medium to high otherwise it’s frequently silent and just ambient noise and such.

Only game I can think of that had a audio pack upgrade would be Kingdom Come that packs in some higher quality sound and music data with the Ultra HD add-on for the game also covering textures, seems like it’d be a simple solution for the PS5 and X Series (And PC.) at least plus the new consoles even have hardware processing for this although it sounds like developers wanted to use these resources elsewhere going by the Reset Era thread example.
(At least there would be something closer to well maybe not good but at least better AI in games even if it’s running through the SPU I suppose besides canned responses and fully scripted behavior. ~ :stuck_out_tongue: )

If players picked up and complained about this since Origins including the varied often lower price and less quality audio hardware that exists then it’s obviously noticeable and a very real problem that should have been given some priority too.

The game has a few bugs as well and some other glitches but while I see patches happening as per usual on about a monthly basis I have some doubts as to whether they’ll redo or offer a audio improvement add-on it’s very much possible as they have all the assets and such at least.

Sometimes there are excuses like not storing the data in higher quality but I would think the audio composer would be a little bit less than pleased if Ubisoft mastered it in less-than-cd quality in 2020 hah.
Course you never really know sometimes these supposed good quality soundtracks have terrible audio quality too loss or loss-less format isn’t going to save that.

Not that good at the tech myself though but I think they went far too aggressive with storage and possibly but less likely RAM usage saving with the audio and the result is clearly bad and if this could be managed years ago already current hardware can do it too.

I don’t see how a constrained bitrate of 128kbps for Opus, or 160kbps for AAC (both proven by respectable sources to be indistinguishable to the human ears) for a few audio files could break any memory budget.

That is just nonsense. There must be a ton of spaghetti-code going on under the hood in Ubisoft games.

1 Like

I wonder if SK can make games more color accurate via HDR then tonemapping it down into SDR again, due to the AOC monitor being 95% DCI-P3 which usually results in everything being oversaturated,

You should really run your desktop in non-WCG mode if that’s a problem you frequently experience. Even web browsers aren’t fully advanced color (WCG / HDR) aware. That’s the reason I run the Windows desktop in HDR at all times, SDR is over-saturated on all HDR displays I have tested unless running in HDR.

I think some people actually gravitate towards over-saturated images, and this is why they complain that running their system in HDR mode produces dull images. Technically, it does, but that’s because turning HDR off is over-saturating things.

1 Like

A couple of steam games I found interesting are on sale (new lowest prices)
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition -75%
Tales of Zestiria -84%
Journey -40%

I’ve also picked up The Vagrant for 1.59€. It looks similar to Dragon’s Crown / Odin Sphere / Muramasa: The Demon Blade ? Hopefully it is good.

Yeah depending on the content I’ll like the saturation or not, for movies and natural content not so much.

HDR is kind of broken on chrome though I noticed when I was in HDR mode typing something into the Google search on the page on the 4-5th letter the grey neutral background was switching between neutral, and reddish tinted each time I went over 4 letters.