Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Yup, it’s because the SVG format/spec itself can hold a Base64 encoded rasterized image if it so desires.

There’s nothing about the spec that technically enforces vector graphics, so it’s up to whomever.

Most picture editors, for example, will happily take a rasterized image and save/export it to a “SVG”, but in reality it’s just the original image encoded in Base64 and then wrapped by a minor SVG container.

You can see examples here (or I can simply spit up a random screenshot converted to SVG, lmao!):

Edit:
Here’s an archived example of the previous Rick Roll user-agent string:

8d979aed6e23e36728454289f83a0220e5fb699b.zip (178.1 KB)

Edit 2:
I guess the below image is a good example of why this is the case. That SVG file basically holds some 3-5 different rasterized images layered on top of one another (the body and the various organs), with all other elements (lines, text) being defined through the SVG format itself.

The combination allows basically anyone to download and manipulate the various individual elements of the image, or e.g. translate the SVG into other languages at will without having to manage individual source files.

In essence, the SVG format is the modern and open variant of the much older PSD (Photoshop) format that carries individual layers and whatnot. I never realized that until today… Huh… I have a much stronger appreciation for SVG now.

I’ll look into it, but i’ve not actually worked with vectors before.

It’s probably not worth it. There’s automated converters available that parses the rasterized image and attempts to approximate the vectorized result, but they can end up quite horrendously, especially with edges and such.

Based on what image you want to convert to a proper vectorized alternative, you have a challenge in front of you. In some cases you might have to recreate larger parts of the image entirely in vector graphics, or in other cases you might not even be able to reproduce the exact results.

What I can recommend though is to attempt one of those automated converters, and then see if you can manipulate and build upon that result in a proper vector editor. That approach is the method of our users on PCGW goes through when converting random rasterized favicon/platform icons online (e.g. Steam, Uplay, GOG, etc) to proper vector graphics that PCGW then makes use of on the site.

All these stupid OAuth providers expect me to have a mobile phone :-\ I can’t use any of them, except for Google, and they want 4-6 weeks to authorize me.

So, you guys are stuck creating accounts the hard way :stuck_out_tongue:

This did occur to me, but i’m up for trying a new logo, lol.

I have this concept thingy from some old film project. Does it look fine if i re-purpose it for SK? Would change the colours and remove the shading ofc (the latter would be required). I assume i need to make it sit nicely in a square aspect ratio as well.

Looks kinda stupid with those block quotes working the way they do, but I guess it’s better than my first attempt…

http://134.209.216.109/en/HDR/Calibration

I’m downloading Adobe Illustrator which is used for vector graphics. I haven’t actually tried it yet but here’s hoping i get comfortable quickly.

Hmm… Can you reset my password to something random and set it to me in a DM / PM / IM? I initially attempted to create a local account but got an error about incorrect mail configuration, so I discarded the random password that my manager had given me, but now I noticed that apparently an account was created for me…

However I cannot sign in to that account due to the discarded password, and I can’t recover/reset the password either due to an incorrect mail configuration in Wiki.js.

I believe you’re a CS subscriber, yes? If you ever want to think of moving away from paying Adobe’s exorbitant subscription costs you can throw an eye at Serif’s Affinity suite of editors.

One-time cost and you get free updates for years (I’m like on my fifth year or so now).

Their Affinity Designer is their vector graphics editor, while Affinity Photo is more like a counterpart to Adobe Photoshop.

Not a perfect replacement (I still use Photoshop Elements myself after all), but it’s vastly more enjoyable at its much lower cost ($70-80 or something like that).

That’s going to be a problem… I made you an admin, perhaps you could fill-in the OAuth provider credentials for services like Discord, Twitch, etc.? They’re all blacklisting me from doing it because I don’t have a phone that can receive text messages in order to make my account two-factor.

http://134.209.216.109/a/auth

E-Mail verification wouldn’t really matter as much if users could just sign-in through those other providers.

This will likely be my last year being subscribed to Adobe’s full suite, i’m required to use it up till the contract’s over, or i have to pay a fee to end it early :confused:

The plan is to transition to Da Vinci Resolve for video editing, and subscribe only to Photoshop, which will be a much cheaper subscription on its own. I only accepted to this additional year with Adobe because they gave me a discount (again, lol).

Can you enable HTTPS on http://wiki.special-k.info/ as well ? It’s required for OAuth2 to function properly.

Edit:
We should probably stick with the same OAuth2 providers we have here on Discourse, so basically Google, GitHub, Discord, and maybe Patreon(?)…

Steam, as usual, doesn’t support OAuth2 >_<

@Kaldaien Can you test this SVG file and see if it works properly? Think i’m getting the hang of illustrator but want to make sure i’m on the right track before i actually design a new logo (did a tutorial test in case anyone wonders why this test logo is so ugly)

SVGtest

Can you not use something like Bitwarden? If you pay the yearly sub (only $10 a year), you can use their TOTP feature, which for at least Discord and most other normal 2FA setups is all you’d need. Twitch uses Authy for some reason (despite Amazon supporting standard TOTP and even hardware security keys like YubiKey). Basically anything that says it supports Google Authenticator will work with it. I swapped over to it from LastPass as my password manager, and couldn’t be happier. Helps their Android app actually works, unlike LastPass which kept turning its autofill off for whatever reason. It even automatically copies the 2FA code after it fills a password. And, unlike LastPass they provide a CLI client on Windows, which is useful for some scripting. LastPass only did that for Linux.

There are plenty of other options for free even to generate 2FA codes, although most of them aren’t gonna backup stuff to the cloud, so if you lose access to the application you’d be boned.

Or just get KeePass + one of its TOTP plugins which basically does the same :smiley:

Nowadays there’s even TOTP/Google Authenticator browser plugins as well.

What sold me on BitWarden was the fact it is Open Source, all the source is on GitHub I believe. If you wanted you could host your own instance for Cloud storage, although I didn’t go that far. The main thing was the CLI though. Since I started to use a password manager one of my biggest annoyances was signing into anything with a launcher of its own that made me sign in every time. FFXIV, probably the game I play the most, has that. Every single time I have to tab over to Chrome and get the password from my password manager. Well with Bitwarden, I’ve been writing a tool that with a global hotkey will based on the currently in focus window copy the password you associate with it for easy insertion. I don’t know why no password manager does this. Bitwarden doesn’t, and LastPass’ desktop application looked like it was suppose to, but it never worked and they discontinued the actual desktop app for some abomination on the Microsoft Store that doesn’t work half the time and has less features than their Android app.

Ahahaha, I ■■■■■■■ love Discourse and Wiki.js.

Wiki.js doesn’t support automated conversion to Markdown on copy/paste, but ya know what does? Discourse!

*copy from PCGW*
*paste to Discourse in a reply window*
*copy from Discorse reply window*
*paste to Wiki.js*
*tweak the code a bit to better fit in*

I’m soon going to bed, but this makes it soo much easier to at least get a couple of test pages up and running.

Edit:
Quick example pasted from PCGW:
http://134.209.216.109/en/Installation/Global

Edit 2:
And I’m off to bed!

Formatting’s actually not half bad when you throw the WYSIWYG editor in the garbage :slight_smile:

I’m happy with the available formatting now, and I think I can commit to writing documentation this way.

I signed up for the wiki and it gave me that error, but when trying to login it wants me to verify my email. But it hasn’t sent me a verification email yet?