Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

No clue why they used Bugsnax as a technical preview. It’s fun, been playing it a lot, but it doesn’t really show off the PS5’s hardware. I doubt the PS5 version looks any better than the PS4 version, it is a very simplistic art style, and nothing overly complicated in the geometry (at least from what I can tell). Hell, it doesn’t even do HDR. A fun, but trippy game though.

Do you suppose mechanical USB stubs also exist? :stuck_out_tongue: WTF is an Electronic USB Stub?

I know the answer (it’s a software USB over Ethernet driver), but why did the developer think it was appropriate to create a new class of device and call it that? :slight_smile:

Seems NVIDIA intentionally disabled support for DP1.4 → HDMI 2.1 within the last 2 driver releases. That’s not a good way to sell customers on a new GPU.

Odd, wonder if there’s a reason for it because AFAIK all you need otherwise is a (active) adapter between the two and depending on your display or your GPU’s outputs there might not be enough plus older DP 1.4 GPU’s and newer HDMI 2.1 displays getting at least above HDMI 2.0 bandwidth and some of the advantages here.

Long as you have a good cable and a quality adapter I suppose, some of the bundled mystery cabling with the display or GPU might not be quite as well wired as intended but it shouldn’t be entirely broken either, mostly. :stuck_out_tongue:
(That last HDMI pin sending or not sending a active signal was apparently a issue for a while, can cause hardware damage if set incorrectly from my understanding of it when I was reading up on it.)

It does not change the EDID, so NVIDIA can obviously see that the device is HDMI despite transporting a DisplayPort signal. I think they just want people who bought adapters to have to upgrade to a 3xxx GPU.

1 Like

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Special_K

There’s a lot of good information there, but I’m really not liking the way everything gets organized into a single page :-\

It reads like one giant wall of text, and you are bombarded with information about all sort of things while scrolling down to find a section.

I’m assuming there’s no way to have headings collapsed by default the way they are in the table of contents? That would make it more pleasing to read, and I’d probably write some official stuff there.

And I’ll be damned if this is not the most meta thing on all of Wikipedia :slight_smile:

I’m considering making a Wiki of my own, since I picked up 1 or 2 patrons this month and that could pay for hosting.

But holy Hell, there are a lot of choices :frowning:

Wiki.js looks promising…

@Aemony: Would you contribute if I hosted a dedicated Wiki for Special K on my own servers? I want something more advanced and easier to spread information across multiple pages in an intuitive way.

This, in particular, interests me:

Also, anyone know a web developer I could bounce some ideas off of or possibly hire … or, even better, is actually a user of Special K / member of these forums?

I really want to get a backend infrastructure together for users to share HDR profiles for games, to exchange .jxr screenshots and also centralize texture / shader mod packs, possibly even upload their Special K config files to a cloud. … and I don’t want that backend to be Nexus :slight_smile:

^^^ This all was supposed to be provided for me by Steam, now I have to build it myself.

Yeah, I’d definitely contribute to the wiki. Seems the structure would be more appropriate as well to separate various aspects from one another but still have them easily findable. God knows the PCGW article have gotten long.

No idea if we have any web developers here on these forums, but it wouldn’t surprise us if we do.

As to PCGW, over there we hire snuxoll (snuxoll (Stefan Nuxoll) · GitHub, https://twitter.com/snuxoll) to act as the sysadmin for the whole infrastructure. While he haven’t finished developing it yet, he have mentioned in the past how he had plans for developing a repository-like platform for PCGW that would allow users upload, share, and download mods of the games we cover — something related to your own plans. You can probably get in touch with him over Twitter or Discord (through PCGW’s Discord server) if you so desire.

Yeah, that sounds almost exactly like what I’m thinking of. Still kills me every time I think about the fallout with Steam, because that was a perfect arrangement that was convenient for me as the developer, users who want to share content, and Valve who wants reasons for people to stay on their platform :stuck_out_tongue:

Getting ready to release 0.11.1 soon…

I’ve begun the guide overhaul, which is the reason I was wishing I had a Wiki for this :wink: It’s definitely easier to format stuff in these forums than on GitHub or Steam, but it still is far from ideal.

Damn. ReShade does not use DirectXTex… that’s going to make HDR screenshots more difficult.

Comments anyone?

Special K Tonemap

Xbox Game Bar Tonemap

Some random app that can export .jxr to .png

Xbox Game Bar is obviously the worst of the three, but I’m inclined to believe whatever technique the random app is using … it might just be better than both.

Anyone here knows how to make a HUD toogle for valhalla like this one?

It’s D3D12, so … no idea. If it were D3D11, I could do that in my sleep.

damn, It`s a beautiful game wanted to roam without hud. And watch churches burning down lol

Is there a generic method to turn off HUD for D3D11 games using SpecialK ?

I am playing on an OLED so sometimes I want to have them off.

Yes, that’s a pretty big feature in SK, in fact.

It’s there for HUDless screenshots, but for any game where someone has used the mod toolkit to find the HUD shaders, you can turn the HUD off by pressing Ctrl + Shift + H

As for the OLED thing… don’t worry about it. Burn-in is impossible. I have 5 OLEDs, only one of them has burn-in (from its calibration service menu). The others have over 5,000 hours of use as computer monitors and are still flawless :slight_smile:

1 Like

WebP is really starting to annoy me. Supposedly it’s capable of storing HDR, but there’s no real documentation on the format to suggest how to do that.

I know browsers have support for WebP and virtually none have support for JPEG-XR, so it’s a no-brainer, but unless I find some quality documentation I’d say there’s no browser-friendly HDR file format for still images.

Hmm, I wonder if maybe WebGL is the answer? I can probably do the decoding myself and then use WebGL to render the HDR screenshot in a browser.

Sounds great, i’m actually thinking about ordering an LG CX for use as a PC monitor, so this reassures me.

Also, kind of off-topic, but would you consider the LG OLEDs good for HDR content? I know you previously said that HDR under 1000 nits doesn’t work too well, and the LG CX having a peak brightness of 700 nits is my main worry.

Kaldaien has multiple C9s because he swears up and down about how great they are.

I can only imagine the CX continues that path.