Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

CX is slightly dimmer and has the issue all OLED have where they lose colour reproduction at high brightness levels. However their unmatched with their pixel level light output so only topping out around 600nits isnt ideal by HDR specs until you include OLED contrast which offsets it entirely

The HDR consortium (or whatever one would call them) also have separate HDR certification requirements for regular monitors and OLED monitors.

1000 nits isn’t a requirement for OLED monitors.

Oh, they do? Interesting. Do you have a link for that?

For TVs there’s the “Ultimate HD Alliance” certification: What is UHD Alliance Premium Certified? - CNET

Minimum brightness and contrast ratios : This is probably the most interesting one, as it’s great for consumers and shows the different players here at work. There are two possible minimum specs. A minimum brightness of 1,000 nits, along with a black level of a maximum of 0.05 nits (20,000:1 contrast ratio), or a minimum brightness of 540 nits, along with a black level of a maximum of 0.0005 (1,080,000:1).

Former is for LCD, latter is for OLED.

And for regular computer monitors there’s VESA’s DisplayHDR: https://displayhdr.org/

VESA’s DisplayHDR certification has various “tiers” based upon max brightness, but also “400 True Black” and “500 True Black’” tiers for OLEDs.

1 Like

Personally, having experience of both an OLED (C7) and a high-end Samsung QLED with local dimming, I would choose the OLED every time. Yes, the max brightness on the Samsung is gorgeous and looks insane when in play, but the true black of the OLED cannot be overstated. I ■■■■■■■ love OLED and if I had a bit more trust in it for computer usage I’d thrown my current QLED monitor and pick up an OLED instead.

Thanks for the links, definitely will be checking them out.

And TBH, I think burn-in is overstated. I have done tons of research about burn-in (because I am planning on using the LG CX as a computer monitor), and I have come to the conclusion that with all of the countermeasures on the TV, and taking precautions with Windows (dark mode everything, hiding task bar, black background, not using applications in fullscreen, etc.), I don’t think burn-in will be experienced for a very long time. And even then, there are warranties, in the US we have 5 year Best Buy warranty that covers burn-in, and I have even heard of LG replacing panels up to a couple years out of manufacturers warranty for free.

Also, hasn’t Kaldaien said that he has 5k hours on the C9 as a computer monitor with no burn-in?

He has.

I am personally not ready though.

Is there a way to macro SleeplessWindowThread?
When it’s enabled FF4 speeds up to match the refresh rate/SK’s frame cap which is nice for 4x speed battles.

I’ve tried
F1=Render.Framerate.SleeplessWindowThread true
F1=Render.Framerate.Sleepless_Window true
the 2nd I got searching the source code and seeing that’s what the parameter is called in there

and just in case, though I didn’t expect it to work
F1=Render.Framerate.SleeplessWindow true

Tried them all without Render.Framerate. part too

Also tried it in the console window in game and no luck there either.

hey need some input, sold my old trusty 980ti. I can afford a 5700xt or 2070/2060 super. Should I go AMD or get a rtx? Playing at 1440p/4k

6K series of AMD is supposed to have its own raytracing. I prefer RX 5700 XT Stix OC Edition. It perfoms just as good as 2070 Super in most games and some better. I do mostly 1440p gaming actually. Paired with decent CPU its a great GPU.

INI variables and the command console aren’t directly linked unfortunately :-\

It probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to at some point link them up, since the INI file already organizes things into convenient X.Y.zzz namespace form.

https://gitlab.special-k.info/Kaldaien/SpecialK/-/blob/0.11.liberated/src/framerate.cpp#L64-84

SK_ICommandProcessor* pCommandProc =
      SK_GetCommandProcessor ();

pCommandProc->AddVariable ( "LimitSite",
            new SK_IVarStub <int> (&config.render.framerate.enforcement_policy));

pCommandProc->AddVariable ( "WaitForVBLANK",
            new SK_IVarStub <bool> (&config.render.framerate.wait_for_vblank));

pCommandProc->AddVariable ( "TargetFPS",
            new SK_IVarStub <float> (&__target_fps));
    pCommandProc->AddVariable ( "BackgroundFPS",
            new SK_IVarStub <float> (&__target_fps_bg));

pCommandProc->AddVariable ( "BusyWaitRatio",
            new SK_IVarStub <float> (&config.render.framerate.busy_wait_ratio));

pCommandProc->AddVariable ( "SwapWaitRatio",
            new SK_IVarStub <float> (&fSwapWaitRatio));

pCommandProc->AddVariable ( "SwapWaitFract",
            new SK_IVarStub <float> (&fSwapWaitFract));

SK_Scheduler_Init ();

pCommandProc->AddVariable ( "MaxDeltaTime",
        new SK_IVarStub <int> (&config.render.framerate.max_delta_time));

Wouldn’t it make more sense to just leave that setting on constantly, and instead create macros that control SK’s framerate limit?

Holy Rusted Metal, Batman…

Remind me never to buy Maxell batteries.

I call shenanigans. I have an RTX 2080 Ti and a CPU that should produce lower framerates than that, and my numbers are higher.

User conveniently cut CPU and GPU load% out of the screenshot though :frowning:

Some of the details from the leaked Capcom data are starting to show up.

(Via Reset Era - Capcom Ransomware Leaks Thread - Check OP for latest contents (Up: Hackers Caught, Oct 2023) | ResetEra )

EDIT: World must have done really well if Capcom is continuing to target PC with the Monster Hunter series.

Source code too for Devil May Cry 2 not that it’s possible to salvage the game or anything ha ha.
Interesting details overall plus the assumed now confirmed VR exclusivity deal and payment for RE7 VR there and such.

It did ridiculously well. I have a spreadsheet with leaked sales figures from Valve, we’re talking $ billions.

1 Like

Yeah I figured, Capcom has kept PC support going fairly well and while it takes some time for the new studios they usually benefit from it over time.

Plus World also serving to renew interest of the series and including doing really well in the west too plus on platforms outside of handheld and Nintendo now so if they can keep that momentum going then Rise might be another huge success.

Err hmm maybe not renew but it’s been on Wii, WiiU and various hand-held devices so getting on the other main home consoles and PC and doing incredibly well must have been really big for Capcom and keeping that going now by multi-platform development going forward. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Like a solid less janky Toukiden ha ha.
Suppose there’s God Eater in the same vein, heard great things and some amazing concepts from Soul Sacrifice as well for this particular genre.

Will be interesting to see how it goes. :slight_smile:

This is on RE Engine too I believe not MT Framework at least for Monster Hunter Rise, going to be interesting though the engine might have it’s little quirks as I understand it at least from the PC ports of RE7 and the remakes of RE2 and RE3 in the Resident Evil series.

Guess we’ll see how that continues when Village / RE8 comes out and the various rumored RE4 remake details however that ends up.

That coming back as actual feature instead of unintended melee animation glitch? :smiley:

And less cues from RE3 Remake don’t cut major bits out of the game although some tweaking might not be entirely unwarranted.

Probably the hardest bit not alienating the long term fans and those who really love RE4 by botching the remake or targeting a entirely new demographic by making it all action like or something like that.

I think that was me, lol. I used the snipping tool (Windows+Shift+S) on some Youtube video.

Sure hope this is a good case, just ordered it as i seriously need space for more drives

I’m not looking forward to the work of moving everything over to a new case though :yawning_face:

Corsair Obsidian is said to be pretty good, had to use a Cooler Master myself due to limited availability of full tower chassis in stock back then but I’ve heard good things about them. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Though I don’t think “All” is a good answer for how many fans and for optimal airflow and circulation but it’s probably not the stock setup either. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Also it’d be nice to see a return to the age of copper for some of these designs speaking of cooling and thermals.

Higher-end motherboards are already 300 - 500 US Dollars if not more sticking a dinky tiny plastic fan and some tiny metal heat spreader on the chipset and such you’d think they could do better.

Think you need the 600 - 900 US Dollar boards for AMD’s X500 motherboards to get silent cooling because double the price for a few extras and leading some heat pipes around the chipset is definitively a 2x price bump.

Eh would probably be even more if the designs ever returned to the Intel 30 and 40 series days of bolting that much copper on plus the happy bright colorful all the colors paint job. :smiley: