Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Yeah it’s a bit split between the Windows settings for Game Bar and DVR in the main settings app then there’s the XBox App and settings for how this part works and I think the third group is in the overlay itself it’s hard to track and then there’s differences in how the XBox stuff works on PC and what you have on the consoles.

EDIT: I can imagine it is also missing some useful advanced settings entirely even after tracking down all the possible places the OS keeps various related toggles and sliders for the feature at. :smiley:

What the hell?
https://twitter.com/PMBreakingNews/status/1327332443993600005

EDIT: Hoax call?

Have some reading to do as to what’s going on there.

EDIT: Seems like it was a hoax call indeed.

Hope the hoaxer enjoys the next 10 years in prison… or, for that matter, that Canada has the same strict laws for abusing police deployment that the United States does.

People die when police are involved, because police aren’t the best trained to deal with people :stuck_out_tongue: Nothing more dangerous than a policeman with a gun.

Is waitable swapchain still unnecessary with Fast Sync enabled ?

It’s… ugh…

It used to do a competent job in the past. While not all images was captured perfectly, it was overall good enough.

It feels that it’s just recently that it have started to result in less than optimal results. I’m not sure if it’s due to Special K manipulating the image in a way that the Game bar haven’t been developed to account for, or something similar?

Current default_SpecialK.ini for me. I never use controllers to navigate SK’s interface (and especially find the haptic feedback option annoying since it’s triggered by mouse/keyboard interaction), nor do I frequently use the Steam enhancements, so these default options should be just perfect for now in terms.

[SpecialK.System]
ShowEULA=false

[Steam.Log]
Silent=true

[Input.XInput]
Enable=false

[Input.Gamepad]
EnableDirectInput7=false
EnableDirectInput8=false
EnableHID=false
EnableNativePS4=false

I’m pretty sure i managed to fix that, even the issue where you’d get a black screen upon pausing during a cutscene. Everything finally seem perfect, but then i opened map mode, and the background colour filled the screen :man_shrugging:t2:

Moving around the menu works, it’s only map mode that seemed problematic. But still, lost cause.

That’s really a bad idea.

DirectInput7 and 8 and HID may be listed under Gamepad, but they also function as mouse and keyboard. Some games disable the legacy APIs and the only way you’re going to interact with SK’s control panel is if DirectInput reads your mouse / keyboard.

Well… ■■■■…

How to disable wigets in the ini file ?, In Mass Effect Andromeda i have disable in menu of special k but they show in screen whe i press any key, thanks.

No idea, sorry. That game is bugged really bad.

Bump :sweat_smile:

Well, I’ve at least added a warning about that over on the relevant section on PCGW:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Special_K#Disable_the_use_of_input_APIs_in_Special_K

By the way, on that note, how does Special K handle multiple [Input.Gamepad] sections in the config files? Would any parameter stored below a second [Input.Gamepad] section be ignored, or would they be read and applied properly, and then the config file recreated properly with a single section on game closure?

At this point, my implementation of Waitable SwapChains is so polished, that either one will probably give you the same results.

1 Like

I just realized something… if I take a break from SK for a while to go add my framerate limiter and HDR support to ReShade, writing and refining the shaders SK uses for HDR will be much easier.

Hell, maybe I’ll figure out a way to borrow parts of ReShade the way FreeStyle does, and allow uber-advanced users to write their own levels / tonemap / etc. shaders.

It’s bugging the @#$% out of me right now that I cannot analyze the HDR in AC: Valhalla (and more importantly …) improve it. Seems a swifter path to victory would be to add stuff to ReShade than to finish D3D12 support in SK.

5 Likes

Uuuuhh… so where can the latest generic version of Special K be found nowadays? I’ve completely lost track of where the various compiled versions have been posted.

1 Like

Nowhere, they are all test builds that only the individual having problems should be using.

The new upload for Assassin’s Creed Valhalla from the topic discussing the game and it’s specifics issues should be the latest 64-bit one, topic around HDR calibration procedures should have the newest 32-bit version but overall it’s yeah some few smaller fixes and updates due to what seems to be fine tuning of the new HDR settings and game specific fixes like with Valhalla.

Though that D3D12 swap chain fix for the FPS limiter seems like it’d be good in general for D3D12 API titles resolving that issue with frame rate micro stuttering.

EDIT: Suppose D3D12 support itself remains heavily experimental and a work in progress though for Ubisoft games and a couple of others the anti-debugger related tweaks could be important and then there’s Yakuza (7) Like a Dragon compatibility.

Could even keep 0.10.0.51 which I think is the latest main download and utilize the 0.11.1.0 builds locally which I am fairly certain should work getting specific compatibility and fixes for some of these titles that need it until 0.11.x is fully release ready.

EDIT: Cataloging for sites like the PC Gaming Wiki can’t be too easy though but the game specific topics should work for the most part there’s mostly just Watch_Dogs Legion and Assassin’s Creed Valhalla from Ubisoft and Yakuza Like a Dragon because SEGA included the old engine issues otherwise I don’t think that title would have been particularly troublesome.

My head hurts

Hmm would think Miles Morales would have been the showcase title early on until stuff like Demons Souls Remake though I heard a lot about BugSnax, might even be entertaining.

Should be on the EGS for PC too far as I know.

Should watch the full video too as Ratchet and others also qualify.
Might not be quite the same thing as increased memory cartridges or bolting on add-on chips and functionality but early launch titles over what will be seen over 2021 or 2022 and on should be what really showcases the consoles more as familiarity with them sees benefits along with dropping the PS4 (And XBox One X) from backwards compatibility and concerns and being able to focus full on entirely on the new hardware. :smiley:

EDIT: Wonder what ray-tracing can lead to as well.
Sports games and reflective sweat?

Mortal Kombat has never been shinier and who knows what the next Street Fighter could do to say nothing about Dead or Alive. :stuck_out_tongue:

Rest of the hardware is still a thing too of course, animations, physics, 60 FPS…OK so maybe not that one at least as a standard unfortunately.

Non-odd looking hair and cloth less clipping and less inconsistency between the usual super high detail main character best friends to such or other important allies and the arch enemy…and then these other previous-gen looking NPC’s hanging around.

EDIT: Overall world interactivity and functional physics too perhaps or maybe just continue to “Skyrim” it climb that near vertical surface tiny little slope by slope ha ha.