Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Nope. I just gave them toys to play with and figured … they’re DF, they’ll find all sorts of interesting things :slight_smile: I suspect when the framerate limiter finally gets more advanced validation testing it will be time to do an expose on other Special K features. Though honestly, I’m just happy if I can spread some of the features I have built into other commonly used applications.

It does not have to be Special K that gets the attention, just a little bit more recognition to the point where I can announce standalone open source libraries for other developers to use and it doesn’t fly completely under the radar (cause that really sucks).

If they fiddle around with Special K enough, “maybe” they’ll bump into the shader stuff. I don’t know anyone besides myself around two to three years later, who’s rather familiar with the Render Mods Toolkit. And as of now, DF have been super busy with the next gen consoles, and lots of new releases in general which has clouded their time with SK. SK’s shader debugging is a hidden gem for them and i’m more than 90% sure they won’t find or understand it unless someone directs them.

It is up to you if you want them to know about it, but i know it would be perfect for their videogame tech reviews.

I think Alex is quite capable of understanding it, just not finding it :slight_smile:

I’m shying away from promoting Special K as a game analysis tool until I get D3D12 support built up. Special K’s time to shine passed a few years ago in my opinion. The graphics debugger is pretty impressive, but it only understands D3D11 and to a limited extent D3D9. All the big games that warrant analysis these days are D3D12 or Vulkan and I have zero to offer there :-\

I doubt I’ll be building the same level of advanced graphics debugger for D3D12, but at the very least I can extend Special K’s HDR retrofit and analysis to cover D3D11 and D3D12 and keep that part of the code modern.

I’m not entirely opposed to Software as a Service. When that service does not come with a 1 year commitment and bundle a whole bunch of products you do not need in order to inflate the price.

Microsoft offers me a monthly license for Visio (diagramming software) for $5.00, and that’s actually a really good deal. When SaaS works, it saves consumers money and earns the developer/publisher revenue on a product they probably would not otherwise sell.

Microsoft does it right, Adobe … I don’t know WTF they’re smoking, but I sure hope DaVinci Resolve with its one-time license puts them in their place.

^^^ And I say this as someone who holds a substantial amount of stock in Adobe, lol.

The use cases are definitely getting more and more limited because of D3D12, but they do tend to revisit some older games, particularly for their retro videos.

Ugh, don’t remind me of the fact that i’m still paying Adobe monthly :sleepy:

What makes it really bad to me, is that you’re stuck paying for a year (or was it two?) for every time you renew your subscription. It doesn’t matter if you’ve done a full contract’s worth already… They make you pay a big fee if you want to cancel your contract early.

It sucks that Adobe software is as good as it is, besides those crashes.

lol, some day I have to give a seminar and open it with this slide:

DirectX 12 3D game development combat(Chinese Edition)

I prefer my game development conflict free, thank you very much China.

Besides those times that it doesn’t work, it’s great software… :slight_smile: That should be my slogan.

@Kaldaien There is a weird perfomance bug in valhalla I got 30fps in england and thought it was pretty bad.
Then I set fullscreen and back to borderless a couple of times and looks and this lol…

First crash in valhalla

crash.log (51,9 KB)

I should probably point out … crash logs in Ubisoft games are pointless. Their anti-debug makes everything look as though Audiokinetic’s Wwise middleware is to blame.

I believe I looked into it a few years ago and also concluded that the subtitles was tied to the shader as well — disabling it disabled the subs.

Ended up scrapping my own attempts as well. :expressionless:

On another note:

That was my idea… but Valve didn’t seem to like it :slight_smile:

I still say Valve is missing out on Special K integration. They could have had something truly special w/ PC HDR. I practically handed them end-to-end HDR support from overlay to screenshot to sharing HDR profiles for SK’s Auto-HDR feature. They’d completely dominate the emerging HDR space on PC.

BTW…

Obnoxious or useful?

I’m thinking of adding tooltips like that throughout Special K for features people aren’t using correctly :slight_smile: That tip goes away once you turn on Flip Model + Waitable, and it only shows up in D3D11 games. I guess some kind of option to turn those hints off is needed, or some advanced users will complain.

No, those sorts of tips are fine and a welcome addition.

2 Likes

Long as you don’t throw in Clippy from Office then tips in the style of “Did you know…” shouldn’t cause any long lasting harm.

1 Like

So… this is weird. I never actually compared SK’s HDR → SDR tonemapping for screenshots w/ the Xbox Game Bar before. I had always assumed the Game Bar did a competent job, but holy @#$% was I wrong.

Xbox Game Bar (HDR(?) → SDR(?) Tonemap)

Special K (HDR → SDR Tonemap)

Lesson here … don’t use the Xbox Game Bar for screenshots :stuck_out_tongue: … and I need to hurry up and decouple SK’s HDR screenshot functionality from Steam. Cause apparently I have the only software that takes correct HDR screenshots.

The Game Bar and XBox Apps has a couple of additional settings I believe but maybe that doesn’t do much?

Wouldn’t surprise me though if a lot of overlay software hadn’t quite caught up to HDR support yet including this one and it’s various updates throughout app and OS updates for Windows 10 as well.

EDIT: Yeah I should probably have expected that, trying to look up info and it’s all about the S and X models now. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Seems HDR10+ is also not supported despite earlier rumors it might have been.)

It has configurable keybinds, and that’s it. There’s no configuring its tonemap. I don’t even know what process it uses. It loses a tremendous amount of image detail, I wouldn’t use anything except for the .jxr image that it produces. Use a third-party tool to tonemap that if you need to share SDR screenshots.