Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

If that’s the case, then cool :slight_smile:

As long as Kal isn’t starting his own server or joining too many, should be fine.

First thing I do in every single Discord server I join: mute the whole server.
Second thing I do: Never really visit it again except for occasional stuff.

The PCGW Discord server is the only one I actively frequents semi-daily, and that’s mostly due to my commitments to the site. It helps that PCGW is also not really a prominently shared resource where people feel that they must engage with editors and content creators in the same way as your average Discord server seems to be filled with.

That said, in regards to @Kaldaien it should probably be worth setting up an actual Discord server of some kind as it’s sorta currently being featured as a Patreon reward… Either set one up, or disable whatever it is on Patreon that suggests that backers gets access to an exclusive Discord server.

Yes and it was raining all freaking day but our restaurant stayed open. Surprisingly we got a ton of business. Its crazy what veterans will drive in just to get 17 dollars off their meal.

This is basically essential for me as well. I hate hearing the pings. In fact I go a step further. I basically go into settings of discord and disable ping globally.

Wow i completely forgot Ubisoft+ was a thing (formerly Uplay+). Downloading Valhalla now, and ig i can roam around London as well later. Is there some SK fix for Valhalla that i should use, or is the game okay as is? I know it’s Dx12.

Edit: Ouch that seems horribly optimised

Yes might want to use this.

The first version of this was for AC Valhalla. And this particular version was adapted to help with Yakuza Like A Dragon.

And yeah game is highly unoptimized. I run between 30 fps to 80s in certain parts of the game. At 1440p with RX 5700 XT and my i7 4790K CPU OC to 4.6Ghz. Very High Settings too.

Cheers. Odyssey also ran poorly on my CPU particularly, since Uplay+ versions of games seemingly push the CPU further. Here’s hoping Dx12 helps out.

I Don’t have Plus exe running but regular one. SO yeah. lol.

Didn’t Odyssey suffer from a bug by using a set of CPU cores / threads even if you didn’t have that CPU? It overused the CPU? For game threads I mean.

I’m not sure, all i know is i researched benchmarks, and my CPU should’ve reached a certain level of performance in that game, but it didn’t and i came to the conclusion that the Uplay+ variants of games push the CPU more.

Still waiting for a new GPU (and maybe a new CPU) before I pick up both Watch Dogs and AC: Valhalla…

The wait is… annoying…

Both of those games are a waste of time and money, unless you mean using Uplay+ to play or mess around in them.

Ubisoft would have to pay me in order to play either of those games…peak shallow open world bloatware.

I feel the same way about Ubisoft games myself. I’m just bored enough to try these games out and then cancel my subscription. I live in London as well, so Legions should at least be somewhat interesting to run around in.

Is the prerendered cutscene stutter in Valhalla normal? It’s persistent and nauseating, and I’m running off an SSD. SK has improved gameplay frametimes quite a bit though.

The adaptive resolution feature doesn’t seem to work either, but i think i’m already bored enough of this game to drop it an hour in. It seems each new AC entry just bores (i should stop using that word) me sooner than the previous.

A Patreon discord server only sounds pretty good idea as a compromise in this day and age honestly to not waste time.

Best idea imo.

So either the PS5 is bugged or it is attempting, and failing, to tone map SDR content into HDR. Because it always has HDR10 on, unlike the PS4 that only turns it on with an app attempting to play HDR content or a game that supports HDR. The problem is the main UI is darker than I feel it should be (maybe that is just my taste, but it is a DRASTIC difference compared to HDR off), and non-HDR games are way under undersaturated and entirely too dim. I think it is a bug, because you’d think they would have advertised, or at least mentioned, that at some point pre-launch, like Xbox talked about their Auto HDR functionality.

Every new and then a few more are stocked but they sell really quickly, only the 3090’s last any longer period of time due to their price (MSRP + VAT here so yeah closer to 2000 US Dollars total.) and some of the more popular picks have pretty long pre-order queues far as I can tell.

Didn’t even have time to check on the stock availability of the 5000 series from AMD before those were all gone, stocks coming in with more quantities than GPU’s but there’s a big back order to fill and there’s not going to be any major retail / web-store availability for some time.

Expecting the same for the next weeks launch of the 6800’s and 6800XT’s followed by the early December 6900’s from AMD plus the customs of these later on.

At least I have time to save up a bit but looking like Q1 2021 for any sort of quantity and that might be optimistic too.
US situation appears to be a bit better but the EU one looks to be lacking for all but the most major retailers who have some quantity of hardware though also selling out quickly but being capable of restocking more quickly.

Selling to all of the EU or even world-wide also means a lot of this stuff is going who knows where plus auction sites for re-selling attempts which while annoying seems super effective from what I am hearing.
(Lots of product listings quite a markup in price but it’s selling too due to the demand even with the 20 - 50% price increase.)

EDIT: Some 3070’s currently and one 3090 (EDIT: Actually there’s about three of them stocked.)
https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/327736-Gigabyte-GeForce-RTX-3070-Vision-OC-8GB

Like that and a few others, 3070’s a 2080Ti performer so it’s good but less of a step up in performance over the 1080 or 2080 for anyone who bought a enthusiast GPU earlier like one or two years ago.

Some 3070’s are borderline 3080 price level too (Near 900 US Dollars.) which is nowhere near worth it for a slower GPU / lower tier card, 3090’s well the way NVIDIA priced them I’d skip them but there’s no real stock for the 3080’s but paying close to 2x the price for a “up to” at best 15 maybe 20% performance gain is not very tempting ha ha.
(Probably less of a step up in performance still in many cases they’re not just power throttled or limited far as I know.)

EDIT: Hmm 150 MB seems like a lot for a Steam client update, guess it’s grown a bit.
I’m on the beta branch so this time it was some small improvements and controller updates.

Chromium based though and that framework is just growing and growing. :smiley:

EDIT: Hmm fighting game sale too and a bunch of other bundles but after picking up Watch_Dogs Legion and Assassin’s Creed Valhalla plus standard editions and using the near 70 Euro saved from that on Yakuza 7 Almost Like Dragon Quest. ( :stuck_out_tongue: ) Yeah not much of a budget balance left for gaming stuff ha ha!

People make the same complaints about the Windows desktop running in HDR, but I’ve never experienced those problems.

I’m in the opposite camp, I cannot stand how oversaturated the Windows desktop is on an HDR display without the desktop running in HDR mode. Colors are just so damn inaccurate on any HDR display when it’s asked to display an SDR signal – I’ve tried all picture processing modes and this applies to both TVs and monitors.

WTF? $17 could feed me for 2 or 3 days, lol. I would also go out of my way to save that much…

Sounds a bit expensive restaurants around here have increased their prices but it’s still around 12 - 15 US Dollars for the daily and then a bit lower for things like fast food.

Weekend prices at about the double and then convenience stores and larger grocery shops or chains even as prices continue to climb make for a pretty good selection even if a few things are pretty costly nowadays. :smiley:

Vegetarian has seen a big increase in selection too while prices remain at a more fixed level, meat has really risen in cost even for “meat” of the variant like minced/hashed however it’s called or similar selections.

Ecologic as a nice alternative but also a different pricing level, makes it kinda hard to eat a more varied amount of things balancing nutrients and what not.

One of these years I’ll be closing in on the older school like Hackensmith or Sandow but for the moment the training is tough and the overall body shape a bit more…rotund. :smiley:

Just have to settle for keeping in shape well as possible and aging gracefully I suppose, ha ha!
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OldMaster

Mobility like that at 90+ yeah it’s not happening but it’s impressive to see what others managed to achieve.

EDIT: Training a lot means eating a lot putting it all together and yeah the cost of food increasing is a hassle but thankfully so far it’s still fairly manageable.

I can’t tell what I’m even looking at in that video. It’s an elongated mass of overexposed pixels.

I think that video is at least 60 years old too :slight_smile:

1 Like

1997 era of VHS just before DVD broke through I believe and then even bootleg getting quality that’s almost watchable. :smiley:

Someone then uploaded it to Youtube and somehow it has avoided copyright claims despite it’s age.
Some stuff deserves to get preserved though, other stuff is uploaded anyway.

Like that late 1980’s car commercial some really bored employees came up with and managed to get to a respectable level of quality for it’s time.

Tons of swearing too which I think was quite a taboo and might still be when it’s not beeped out.

Eh at least it’s better than Google/Youtube deciding by algorithm that I am interested in the ongoing election results, noise music at super high frequencies and 24 hour long videos of looping rainfall and other effects. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: HD-DVD and Beta Max, rip quality due to the cheaper format winning. Ha ha.

EDIT: Suppose standards were needed though, wonder what those old style shaped discs would do to a modern drive…well if disc drives weren’t mostly a relic entirely at this point I guess.

Wonder if cassettes have become a relic yet or not, ancient mysterious artifact though retro stuff tends to make unexpected comebacks in one form or another.