Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Go into task manager and click performance tab and then click on “Open Resource Manager” and find the process exe in the list. And end task there. Some games and programs after they close don’t actually close but go into suspended mode and this causes them to still be running even though they don’t show up in task manager list.

1 Like

This is a steal btw, for anyone who’s interested in Gamepass - three months for $1
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-game-pass-ultimate/cfq7ttc0khs0?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I genuinely don’t know why Gamepass is always discounted

Awareness of gamepass and the new console and some of the upcoming December titles (DOOM Eternal for one.) I think that’s Microsoft strategy at least selling the console at a well probably close to a loss if not a loss and then subscriptions and deals with other services like Netflix. :slight_smile:

Even at 15$ it’s a good price for what you get plus it covers the users account and both PC and XBox plus on XBox there’s the exclusives and I think backwards compatible digital titles in addition.
(And less Win10 Store hassles which they really should kinda work out much as these apps and OS is updated it’s still not quite there yet.)

Clearly a good strategy for them though it’s hard to push into the PS5’s lead and Sony’s strategy with more high profile big budget exclusives from my understanding at least.

Also due to lack of hardware picked up Cyberpunk, might wait a bit until I can wrap up Valhalla and hopefully Watch_Dogs Legion plus the backlog. :smiley:

EDIT: There were a few 3060’s for a while too as it turns out, seemingly AMD’s having a hard time shipping to the EU countries but NVIDIA can get some hardware quantity out though well it’s gone now. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Shame I missed the initial 3080 GPU drop by … well it went in a few minutes so but yeah had expected the situation to get better not worse ha ha.)

EDIT: And looking at the benchmarks it seems Immortal Phoenix Rising is on the Anvil Next D3D12 engine too, interesting.
(EDIT: Nope it’s the Valhalla branch but it’s D3D11 here.)

Another Watch_Dogs Legion update too.
https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/2299330-TU-2-30-Patch-Notes

EDIT:

I can understand it not being too shiny (Unless on a 6000 series GPU.) but that’s a curious issue of the water also not being too solid.

Heh well it happens I guess.

EDIT: So Immortals Fenyx Rising

I like the more playful at times witty writing and while the game is a true Ubisoft pattern open world they’ve trimmed it down a touch although the games still around 30 - 40 hours long with various extra challenges and items to collect.

Also borrows quite heartily from Breath of the Wild in terms of inspiration although more guided and narrated plus the world is less interactive and reactive.

Blunting it like nothing else in terms of description here’s your tutorial starter area separated off from the rest until you can fly off it finishing up the prologue and initial tutorials including the challenge mini dungeons getting the basics of the plot and premise though more cutscene guidance here.

Then through more narrative and tutorials here’s your big pink cloud of death and the end game but the story dictates you can’t just go immediately there to cork it up.

There’s also similarities to assassin’s creed in how you explore and the combat mechanics and all that so Origins or newer and it’s really familiar going through the same motions pretty much.

I have never made a less heroic looking hero character and the game outright refuses to let you accomplish this but narrative wise it kinda fits anyway so meh and so far no issues, D3D11 but SpecialK’s compatible and ReShade works via proxy loading. :slight_smile:

Recommended but probably at a bit of a lower price tier maybe 40 - 50 not the full 60 certainly not the 100 dollar gold edition Ubisoft is going for with their games.
(Not that I would recommend that for any of their games unless you really have faith in the future content and how it’ll be updated and supported.)

EDIT: And the brown gray and mostly desatured kinda dead terrain does eventually get replaced by other types as you once again have a fair few different biomes across the full world map.

It’s not as rough as getting stuck in the Hinterlands in Dragon Age Inquisition for hours trying to clear up the thing good as can be before seeing that there is more of the game too but getting out of the tutorial area and (Of course.) into the more vibrant woodland and bright sunny zone is really a boost even if it takes two hours or so unless you’re set on clearing the zone and never having to return again. :smiley:

I don’t think i understand Immortals FR. There is no FPS limit in borderless mode (Dx11 game) - isn’t windowed mode always capped to your monitor refresh rate?

Even SK cannot enforce a frame rate cap

Requires local injection for SK to work, and had to disable in-game HDR due to weird glitches. Might be an issue with the Ubisoft+ variant of the game, not sure.

HDR injection requires just 10 bit render passes. It seems SK has limited control over the frame rate of the game so far, but testing further. Changing the presentation interval doesn’t actually do anything, even changing it to 4.

Thought Windows 10 was updated a few builds back in regards to tearing so the VSync state isn’t enforced anymore.

Interesting that it’s branched from the newer Anvil Engine code but went back to D3D11 too, would imagine it’s still beneficial to have Vulkan (Ghost Recon Breakpoint) or D3D12 (Valhalla) support even if for legacy support and DirectX 12 it could have had both.

Seeing how it’s similar code I wonder if disabling the game limiter and using SpecialK wouldn’t be more effective but it sounds like it might not be entirely perfect if some of the settings aren’t applying.

I’m on a 64-bit .dll from November 27th from…somewhere.
Might not matter too much though long as it’s the D3D12 topic SpecialK files or the newer Valhalla ones around late November in terms of compatibility and the newer features.
(Anti debug this or that for support and not crashing in particular and then these HDR additions and such after that’s resolved.)

EDIT: Not the Control one so lets see where was that from again.
That’s these two builds.

EDIT: That one.
It’s just a bit newer though so probably nothing too critical.

EDIT: Yeah this is also basically keeping track of (Best as I can.) some of these newer builds plus for troubleshooting being able to find and test older versions if needed. :slight_smile:

Just have to also treat these as WIP’s and not actual release candidates until 0.11.1.0 is actually out but it’s been working really well so far although I am missing HDR functionality so I can’t test one of the bigger bits that are getting overhauled here.

FINALLY!

No, it have never been enforced. What was enforced was always the removal of screen tearing, that is, “V-Sync”, but only through the fact that the legacy BitBlt presentation mode had the game present its buffer for DWM to pick up and present further – creating an additional frame of latency.

So the game could render at whatever frame rate it desired – while “in front” of the game DWM would always sit and swap in the buffer from the game and output it to the monitor according to v-sync/vblank.

Basically a form of triple buffering, but with none of the input latency reduction that proper triple buffering (in fullscreen exclusive mode) had.

Edit: Or, well, yes – in a sense windowed mode was always capped to the “refresh rate” of the monitor – but only in terms of how many images per second could be displayed. The game itself was always allowed to render however many frames it wanted to.

2 Likes

Always found it funny how that works, but I guess some people found use of it as it at least deals with the tearing issue.
Good for MMOs as well.

Ha I think this actually happened once for me. lol. Now I realize it was AMD GPU bug which is quite odd to be on one gpu but another. lol.

1 Like

I just had the problem where looking at the Thames river made the framerate single digit so I never really dared to jump right into the thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

That got resolved last patch I believe, now they just have to actually resolve the save corruption issue in full and everything should be good or at least rend the game mostly playable with less chance of forcing a completely new game being required.

And also, from what I just read on Guru3D it looks like it’s possible to modify the settings in Control for ray tracing and from what I can see it greatly reduces the noisiness of the effect as a result. :slight_smile:

Might have other improvements too but the immediate thing I picked up on was the grain/noise being heavily reduced.

Batman: Arkham Knight on Steam received an update:

• Consolidation of a ton of DLCs over to the main depot – granting (from what I can tell; I don’t play the game myself) players access to various costumes previously locked behind separate DLC purchases.

• Denuvo was removed from the copy.

• The game is now DRM-free on Steam and can be launched without the Steam client running.

1 Like

The Epic Store version was DRM free if not mistaken. Good for them.

They should remove Denuvo after some time…

The “Musou” (“warriors” ? ) version or well adaption I guess of Persona 5 is coming to PS4 and Steam.

EDIT: And Switch which I thought it was already out for as the initial launch platform?

EDIT: Original Youtube video got taken down but a few of the posters took screenshots and it’s been linked to other mirrors too.

EDIT: Haven’t played some of the newer games although Warriors All Stars had a certain charm, all the Koei Tecmo franchise characters or well…the popular ones(?) plopped down to participate in a big brawl set to for some reason a giant furry family war / rave glowstick party. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well they already had Orochi and few other spin-offs so they kinda had to go with something for all of these different franchises ha ha.

So then Persona 5 adaption of this formula, could be good, heard Omega managed to do really well with the Zelda ones but then Nintendo might have been behind them for that too so it’s going to be a bit less rushed or buggy.
(EDIT: That and it’s not PC and how Koei ports tend to be a bit of anything could happen with this platform for some really weird reason.)

Finally. Awesome to see a PC release as well.

As for the Zelda Musou games, they’ve been fun. I played the first Hyrule Warriors quite a bit on Wii U, and even got the 3DS version (don’t recommend that one) and Switch versions. The Switch version did pretty well. Had some framerate dips, but no where as bad as it did on Wii U and immensely better than the 3DS version (and it was one of the few New 3DS only games).

The new Hyrule Warriors, Age of Calamity the BotW prequel, is fun but… well… the performance is freaking abysmal. Any really wide open map will start to chug, which I’m pretty sure they are aware of since most maps avoid that. However even on the more corridor/maze-like maps just can’t keep up when you start using a ton of skills. And if you use any of the fancy big moves and it becomes a slide show. I’m talking this game isn’t even maintaining 30fps with any sizable amount of enemies on the screen (and being a musou game that is most of the time), and when things get really busy it is dipping down sub-10 fps. The game is fun as hell, but well the performance issues make it difficult to play it for long sessions.

I haven’t heard anything about performance issues in the Japanese version, so they must have done better with it. And even if it has some issues, putting in on PC should at least let our hardware brute force any protentional performance issues (and if not hopefully Kaldaien can salvage it :smiley:).

1 Like

NVIDIA control panel with my RTX 3070 only exposes options for YCBCR 4:2:0 or 4:4:4… No 4:2:2 which I’d really like to try out to see if I can use it without my audio lag problem. Any ideas for how to get 4:2:2?

From what I can find it depends on what the display or TV supports (So what the EDID info reports back I presume.) and various overrides and custom modes said TV could be using.

Looks like Samsung has Game Mode but that enforces 4:2:2 whereas PC mode is unrestricted.
HDR seems like it also affects what’s available and there might be the ability to try with a custom resolution and if that allows for additional options.

EDIT: Plus the bit depth and then I guess that comes down the bandwidth and what’s available under which mode together with the display resolution and refresh rate.

Think Kaldaien was using a ~90Hz somewhere range for that reason to avoid compression.
(On let’s see here I think that’s with HDMI 2.0 for 10-bit 4:4:4 at 3840x2160 and a higher refresh rate though not the full 120+ range without Display Port 1.4 or HDMI 2.1 support.)

Trying to find more info but there’s a lot on this topic so quite a bit to look up and go through. :slight_smile:

I’d probably go through what the TV supports and then any info on overrides and modes if these enforce anything first and if that changes what’s reported back to the GPU and the list of modes as a result and the RGB range and formats and such. :slight_smile:

Computer display would probably be more about bandwidth and how it’s hooked up if it goes through other devices and how the GPU and OS processes these which also seemed like it could be problematic or change what’s supported and available. :slight_smile:

Custom resolution doesn’t let you pick subsampling unfortunately. I know the TV supports 4:2:2 but I just can’t find anyway to force that as the output on windows with this NVIDIA driver.

I did a test with 60hz output and found the audio lag happened even then. So it’s not a bandwith issue necessarily? It could still be a cable issue. I guess I’m ditching VRR for now, and I’ll have to cross my fingers and buy a different cable, or buy a USB audio dac, if I want to use HDR and VRR at the same time

1 Like

Interesting, wonder what is affecting that signal like that but there are some problems and criteria to the best of my knowledge so it’s hard to pin-point it unless there’s some info on it being some hardware issue and then there’s the firmware as well or the drivers and OS itself.

AMD’s drivers have some back and forth with signal noise and latency but I think NVIDIA and also the new Ampere GPU hardware is doing pretty well with the current drivers although some later posted info tells that not all fixes that were expected landed is this latest driver.

Both of them should have something for next week though, Cyberpunk 2077 from NVIDIA possibly a driver branch update too and for AMD there’s the 6900 GPU launch.

And for the audio device via HDMI that’s more about passing it through into this other hardware which then handles it, don’t think audio formats or such should be affecting it and how it’s seen by the OS for what type of device and it’s capabilities.

Not something I am very familiar with myself though, something about 1920x1080 even if it doesn’t do display output for some features and hopefully the newest OS updates and OS build itself doesn’t have too many known issues or problems around this.
(Fairly certain there were a few things but it’s since been worked out as Microsoft supports newer audio formats and fixes various issues and bugs as they get reported.)

EDIT: Need to look it up a bit more too like community responses for similar inquiries perhaps.

But why VRR and HDR causes issues here is curious it’s mostly been about sound bars and Dolby Atmos and firmware or hardware problems little about HDR or variable rate refresh or both together.

These are HDMI packets after all unless there’s some delay or interruption it should be sending audio and video data bits over and it should work but something is clearly introducing some form of delay but why.