Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Oh, well I feel stupid now :wink:

We’ll see if this gives any better luck. GeForce Experience’s overlay breaks mouse support in Serious Sam 4 :-\ Kind of an important input device for an FPS. I have to capture any footage using a gamepad.

Oh, and Serious Sam 4 also messes with ASUS Aurasync if it finds the SDK installed on a system.

09/26/2020 13:12:00.023: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][AuraToken::InitMutex] Global\AuraSdkTokenMutex ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS
09/26/2020 13:12:00.023: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][AuraToken::requireToken] In.
09/26/2020 13:12:00.023: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][RogAuraService::SetProfile] In.
09/26/2020 13:12:00.040: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][RogAuraService::SetProfile] Out.
09/26/2020 13:12:00.040: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][AuraToken::switchToken] In.
09/26/2020 13:12:00.040: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][AuraToken::switchToken] Out.
09/26/2020 13:12:00.040: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][AuraToken::requireToken] Out.
09/26/2020 13:12:00.040: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][CAuraSyncDeviceCollectionImpl::Initialize] In.
09/26/2020 13:12:00.045: C:\Program Files\ENE\Aac_ENE RGB HAL\x64\AacHal_x64.dll                 :  ENE Hal Ver:A_1.00.10 190619a
09/26/2020 13:12:00.045: C:\Program Files\ENE\Aac_ENE RGB HAL\x64\AacHal_x64.dll                 :  SDK got 1 SMB-ctrl(s)!(2)
09/26/2020 13:12:00.050: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][CAuraSyncDeviceCollectionImpl::Initialize] _useNewIntfDef(0)
09/26/2020 13:12:00.050: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][CAuraSyncDeviceCollectionImpl::Initialize] Start.
09/26/2020 13:12:00.050: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][CAuraSyncDeviceCollectionImpl::EnumerateDeviceFromHal] In.
09/26/2020 13:12:00.050: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][CAuraSyncDeviceCollectionImpl::EnumerateDeviceFromHal] useNewIntfDef(0)
09/26/2020 13:12:00.050: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][CAuraSyncDeviceCollectionImpl::EnumerateDeviceFromHal] Use IAacLedDeviceHal::Enumerate() to get the device count ...
09/26/2020 13:12:00.050: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][CAuraSyncDeviceCollectionImpl::EnumerateDeviceFromHal] Use IAacLedDeviceHal::Enumerate() to get the device count - done.
09/26/2020 13:12:00.050: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][CAuraSyncDeviceCollectionImpl::EnumerateDeviceFromHal] 1. count = 0
09/26/2020 13:12:00.050: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][CAuraSyncDeviceCollectionImpl::EnumerateDeviceFromHal] 2. count = 0
09/26/2020 13:12:00.050: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][CAuraSyncDeviceCollectionImpl::EnumerateDeviceFromHal] Out.
09/26/2020 13:12:00.050: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][CAuraSyncDeviceCollectionImpl::Initialize] Device not found.
09/26/2020 13:12:00.051: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][CAuraSyncDeviceCollectionImpl::Initialize] _useNewIntfDef(0)
09/26/2020 13:12:00.051: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AuraSDK\AuraSdk_x64.dll                           :  [aurasdk][CAuraSyncDeviceCollectionImpl::Initialize] Start.

I saw that in the debug log and thought it was weird. Then I went into the room where I keep my computer ( yeah, it’s in a different room while I am uing it :stuck_out_tongue: ), it changed the lighting exactly like I guess you’d expect after seeing a debug log filled with that.

There’s no option anywhere in the game that controls this, they just do it whether you want them to or not :frowning:

At least their DRM is not choking on Special K this time around though. That’s an improvement for CroTeam games.

These results look promising:

Yep, NVIDIA got HDR video capture perfect. Yay!

1 Like

Interesting thought there was usually a toggle for any hooks like that such as with Corsair and Far Cry 5 earlier.

Might be in the full cvar list somewhere though and the config file although things like this you would expect to be part of the in game options if there’s integration with MSI, Razer, Corsair and others for this sort of functionality.

Wonder if the software itself has some hook or something, can’t find much though.
Usually there’s some separate .dll in the game folder somewhere so you know it has support for this.

EDIT:

Nice.

I tried several games and got washed out colors with nvidia capture in HDR

Question to anyone who plays Mafia Definitive Edition. Does it detect DS4 Controller natively with Steam Controller support off? Haven’t tried it yet. But I am curious if it does have it.

Geforce Experience stated HDR shadowplay for the last update i downloaded, i guess Nvidia made a mistake. I’ll try the experimental build later.

It’s working well for me

Are you using experimental or public drivers? I saw your first Serious Sam test where HDR recording wasn’t working.

Hmm so if you have GSYNC you should use the low latency toggle in advanced even if on the graph frametimes fluctuate a little more?

Capping fps around 2-3 lower than refresh rate is still applicable with SKlimiter when used with VRR though?

Hmm presentmon reports 2-3ms higher latency with low latency mode on with GSYNC, though i’m unsure if it measures the correct thing

I would assume this ties into driver functionality from 456.38 though from what I can find the recording itself is VP9 and x265 so a Turing GPU with support for this in it’s media engine err NVEnc I believe it’s called should suffice.

10-bit or higher as well, think that means HDR to enabled in the OS / Windows 10 and the display settings.

EDIT: Finding that info isn’t easy.

That’s just HEVC B frame support.

EDIT: 1080Ti and the GP102 die for that.

So Pascal with the 1080Ti and then Turing I presume would be the requirement for full support here.

Unsure though if the driver itself factors into anything here or if you can just use the 3.5.x version of Experience on it’s own as long as the hardware has the required support at least for the HDR video recording.

And then what causes it to potentially bug or break in some situations like the resulting video capture looking washed out too.

PresentMon’s not capable of measuring input. It measures present latency, a difference of 2-3 ms there is quite different than a game that polls input at the beginning of a frame and is being delayed for 16 ms.

Frametime variance may increase, but for most engines the low latency mode will cause them to poll input without a massive delay between presenting an image for scanout. PresentMon is actually kind of looking at the equation completely backwards, it produces nicer numbers when old frames are presented very close to VBLANK. For actual input processing, you want the opposite. That’s why stuff like “timewarp” exists in VR.

Also on another note it seems that atleast on POE when SK is injected changing the display in-game crashes the game, is there anywhere i can enable logging so you can take a look at the log files?

Wasn’t a limit to flip model that it had issues with changing the display resolution?

Although the 0.11.0.48 and 0.11.0.49 versions seem to have a number of improvements and less stringent requirements though I believe a large amount of these are for the HDR support.

@Kaldaien, what was the rule for BackBuffer count and Maximum Device Latency now again? Was it Maximum Device Latency = BackBuffer Count + 1, or -1 ?

1080 ti here, and tried again with experimental features enabled. SK HDR isn’t working, tried both VLC and ROTTR.

Doom Eternal is working though, i’ve imported it into Premiere with the lumetri scope enabled

Edit: Or is SK HDR working as well? :thinking:

It’s hitting 10k nits? You can see the luminance graph at the left. The file states 10 bit.

Dropped the exposure but the results speak for themselves. I have SK luminance at 800.

Well this is quite a bad show for nvidia and newegg.

GPU’s being sent without any box whatsoever. Just simple bubble wrap and plastic. Apparently these GPU’s were part of a bulk item and those didn’t come in boxes.

@Kaldaien forcing VSYNC via SK with VSYNC in NVCP/Game set to disabled, and use application seems to introduce big frame time variances in POE , and i see SpecialK losing VSYNC/limiter even if it’s forced as FPS shoots up to 98-110 then goes back to capped FPS in under a second, setting NVCP to VSYNC On seems to mitigate this.

SpecialK with these settings seem to only lose VSYNC/limiter when there’s a lot of action going on screen though.

V-Sync overrides (or, well, basically all API overrides) are applied in a layered manner:

1. Game sets something.
  2. Something injected, such as SK, overrides it.
  3. Display drivers overrides whatever above it.

So if V-Sync is set to Off in NVCP, that’s what’s going to be used regardless of what Special K sets. Special K cannot override display driver overrides, same way a game cannot override Special K overrides.

By forcing V-Sync to On in Special K, but then overriding it to Off through the display drivers, you might be introducing unexpected behaviors into the equation if other functionality of SK is e.g. dependent on its own internal v-sync parameter (which is overridden at a lower level by the display drivers).

I probably should have worded it better V-Sync was set to Application specified in NVCP, and disabled ingame, so SK forced V-Sync should override the game setting, if i turn off framelimiter i can see FPS getting capped to 75hz so it is working, but then somehow when there is lot going onscreen, both the forced VSYNC from SK, and the framelimiter seem to stop working for split seconds as i can see spikes to around 100fps.

If V-sync stopped being applied the framerate limiter should have still capped the FPS to my specified target right?

You are making so many changes so fast, I don’t know what the recommended settings for special K frame limiting while using gsync are anymore…