Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

As Kal said, global injection. You need the latest dll posted earlier.
SpecialK64.7z (7.6 MB)

And add mpc-hc64.exe to the whitelist.

Works fine with the madvr plugin. Ideally you have both VLC and MPC, since some codecs might only work with one of them.

That’s just ambient occlusion, which does indeed shade grass and is used in lots of games, but i’ve wanted to see individual grass blades actually cast shadows, and Crysis Remastered is amongst the few to manage that.

Oh, okay.

The fact that Afterburner starts counting at 1 always confuses the hell out of me :slight_smile: I was going to ask why only GPU1 on your SLI system was working, then I realized 1 is 0.

Similar as others, I also only use toggle hotkeys in Afterburner.

Same with Special K’s widgets — I have like all widget toggles hooked up to various hotkeys so that I can easily toggle them on the fly without opening the control panel itself.

So tried this method and I can’t seem to get the GUI to properly be in correct spot in the video so I can tweak it. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Oh also I can’t seem to click on GUI since it causes to just simply pause player lol.

Edit:
Maybe its having difficulties b/c I am running dual monitors b/c the SK GUi is right smack in middle of the two monitors.

I don’t know exactly what you’re experiencing, what i can say is i had to use my Xbox controller for both players to bring up the control panel (select+start) - i can control SK with my mouse just fine once the control panel is open.

After injecting with HDR, you may have to toggle fullscreen a few times (F11 for MPC, F for VLC) whenever you experience visual glitches.

If you can’t configure the control panel, you might have to rely on ini edits.

Simply put The GUI itself was moving towards in between my two monitors. Another issues I am having is I can’t click on the GUI. It has zero effect.

I am using a PS4 controller. So how would you get gamepad to bring up Control panel in video? I know its select and start. But I don’t think it works.

Okay I figured it out. B/c I am using two monitors SK isn’t properly putting SK control panel in correct spot making it impossible to click on the GUI itself and do some tweaks to it. So I just had monitor 2 show and not other and now the GUI in SK works fine in MPC-HC So there is some sort of issues if using more than one monitor with video player.

How you injecting with HDR? MPC-HC is d3d9

So it’s been a while – time for a new avatar I think. This time around with a crop of an image from

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aR4QOJ

Which is apparently part of a mini-story told solely through art and music:

… I am sad to see the lack of embedded previews… :frowning:

1 Like

@Kaldaien check out this SSD: SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 4.0 SSD - Newegg.com
But need a 4.0 PCI-E bus mobo.

I’m using the madvr plugin with MPC.

MPC settings

MadVR settings

I forgot where exactly i downloaded the plugin from, i’ve had it installed for a while.

MadVR hasn’t been updated in a while though but there’s newer builds although by this point it’s still been almost eight or so months since the last one though it’s a bit more up to date than the 2018 version.

http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure113.zip

Media Player Classics own video render is also pretty solid and updated frequently but it doesn’t support HDR yet.

SK apparently works HDR into MPC-HC with MadVR which would explain how GPunity is doing it. I know VLC has a D3D11 Render plugin. I am guessing MadVR does too.

Thanks for info.

You don’t technically need pcie 4.0, as it is backwards compatible, and will run at slower pcie 3.0 speed. Perhaps only useful in the case of buying now and upgrading to zen 3 in oct/nov.

Which defeats the purpose of using that SSD. I don’t think you won’t get anywhere close to its read and write speeds if locked to 3.0 bus speed.

You almost certainly won’t no. At least I haven’t seen any SSDs of those speeds on PCIe 3.0.

I am glad though to see that we’re starting to see real PCIe 4.0 SSDs arrive, as the earlier ones were little more than PCIe 3.0 devices marketed as PCIe 4.0 devices.

Though have random reads/writes also improved? That use case is probably where SSDs sees their highest performance loss.

No, random performance is never going to be all that great.

Writes on SSDs pile up in queue that the memory controller tries to defer for a little while (hence the DRAM cache) to overcome the block-erase nature of things, but if you hammer that queue with random operations then it cannot schedule writes efficiently. Each write requires erasing an entire block, so scattering data in random places is a great way to make flash memory angry :stuck_out_tongue:

Random read performance is another matter entirely, that’s mostly down to no prefetch. I think an OS filesystem cache largely mitigates random read performance if they are not completely random.

I made some progress on RDR2, BTW.

In addition to my license being bad for the Steam copy I own, the engine is being confused by something on my system that is grabbing keyboard focus. The game thinks the window is not in the foreground and it pauses itself indefinitely after the opening video. Yet another game showing why I despise games that auto-pause when input focus is lost; this one has an option that is supposed to turn that feature off, but it doesn’t work.

BTW, did you mention having a contact at NVIDIA at some point?

I kind of want to get my hands on one of those latency testing kits they sent out to the wrong members of the press (i.e. Linus Sebastian).

I am starting to wonder just how accurate PresentMon’s estimated latency actually is, because if it is to be believed, then Special K’s framerate limiter is already 1 full frame of latency lower than RTSS before I even do a single override to the swapchain.

My intuition tells me that swapchain tuning is where latency is ironed out, the software tells me I magically removed 1 frame of latency without even doing anything special :stuck_out_tongue:

FrameView 1.1 is available for download today. LDAT and PCAT are being made available to select tech reviewers around the globe to incorporate into hardware and game reviews.

I am not a reviewer, but I damn well can incorporate this into developing something that benefits people more than a review ever would :slight_smile:

Kind of, try starting a private conversation with AndyBNV on Resetera.