Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Those screenshot comparisons are awesome for one reason:

Open up SK’s version with “HDR + WCG Image Viewer” and then play with the “Luminance heatmap.”

THAT is an HDR screenshot through and through, there are multiple stops of exposure here. You can take that screenshot and then adjust the exposure to see the same image with emphasis on a specific part of the scene. That’s what I was aiming for when I designed HDR screenshots in Special K, and I’d say I hit my mark. Adjusting that tool’s luminance slider actually shows you the different stops of light that I was able to preserve.

By contrast, the engine-produced screenshot is the same image just washed out if you look at it in its luminance heatmap view. There’s neither anything dynamic, nor particularly high range in CryTek’s HDR :slight_smile:

damn you gaben…? What HDR settings do you recommend for RDR2 with the actual SK version?

Kal can’t open RDR2 due to weird Steam crap.

@Kaldaien if the performance penalty issue can be solved, then it’s definitely worth sharing this HDR fix. Vanilla HDR basically ruins the graphics. I still haven’t managed to solve whatever’s going on with performance.

damn, Ive got epic store version. @Kaldaien if you need someone for testing RDR2, Im available.

Getting a USB Sound Card type DAC / Amp. Realized it will come in handy for my Headset that I realized my motherboard drivers can’t actually go that low in Ohms.

Should be great. Seems like Amazon Stating that it will come tomorrow. That should be interesting. On side note I am still waiting for New Memory. I ended up canceling that one memory order and got a quad channel 32bit Memory kit. 2133Mh So that should be decent. Problem is the seller is using freaking USPS. Worst possible Mailing service to use in USA. Its been stuck in NJ since freaking 9th.

@Kaldaien
So apparently the USB Soundcard / DAC / Amp uses Micro USB :smirk:

OMG I hope this is real deal:

Clipped text in HUD fixed

Special delivery chest scales up to level 40 now - but still gets locked when first opened - (wished this was not the case. I am holding off on opening that chest until I get much higher level.)

That penalty is not fixable.

scRGB-based HDR requires 4x the VRAM memory bandwidth in the worst-case :slight_smile: It’s a pure numbers thing, not something that can be optimized away. The more post-processing passes a game does, the quicker this memory bandwidth cost vs. HDR10 adds up.

SK’s HDR stuff was designed primarily for older games that aren’t native HDR to begin with, so it was an acceptable tradeoff when I was doing my work. I have not considered an HDR10 mode for Special K because I prefer just going balls to the walls with image quality and paying maybe a 5-15% additional VRAM requirement later.

Meh, I either need a new HDMI 2.1 Fiberoptic cable 100 ft long, or move my gaming PC into my living room… my current cable is only HDMI 2.0 :frowning:

I thought my cable situation was kind of future proof, but evidently not because there’s a very real chip that converts the signal to light and then back, and it doesn’t understand HDMI 2.1 :stuck_out_tongue: The cable’s construction is well within grade for HDMI 2.1 and any future spec. too, but that chip that does the signal conversion puts a lifespan on really expensive ultra-long niche cables that’s shorter than you’d think.

Isn’t it possible to just screw off the end of it and add a newer chip.
Then again the rest is just fiberglass something so that’d probably not differ too much in terms of cost from a 2.1 converter chip same as I assume what’s going to be done for Display Port to active HDMI 2.1 converters and what not now with this new standard and all that.

Not much else to do about it either, signal strength gives 2 - 5 meters from my knowledge with things like this from regular cabling without additional hardware and I don’t think wireless and streaming is quite up to full capabilities plus then there’s USB-C but it’s probably not too different in signal strength.
(Plus I don’t think NVIDIA has it, AMD seems to but different GPU models will probably have some variance in input support here.)

Bandwidth is interesting too, AMD’s looking to be a cache solution but then the X S X uses a clamshell memory solution with something up to 384-bits or what it was and NVIDIA has 320 to 356 bits plus GDDR6X with improved speeds over GDDR6 for the upcoming GPU gen.

Unknown on HBM, bus width would be solved but total bandwidth didn’t quite pan out for Fury and Vega as the GPU and memory chips held it back a bit from full effect. (Bus width was good though but speeds were realistically around 380 something GB/s for the Fury and 450 something I think for Vega not quite the full 512 GB/s effective if it had been able to hit peak performance.)

EDIT: What’s it at for Ampere 3080+ anyway 700 GB/s something I think memory bandwidth and speed, 320 bit bus on the 3080 I believe it was and 356 bit something on the 3090 GPU’s.

GDDR6X at 1 GB per module over GDDR6 with 2 GB modules far as I’ve been reading but that’s not too much of a thing as such just the space it takes up and how to configure the memory controller and bus and all that stuff to get full speed to everything without dividing it / clam shelling it?

By the way, anyone here have a Mac ? If so, does that also have snap-to-UI-elements functionality as the iPad does when used with a touchpad?

I have played around with my iPad for a few hours now with the touchpad and it’s insane how much the snap functionality adds to using the touchpad. It simplifies it a lot as you don’t need to be as exact as without it, as it’s harder to overshoot or undershoot one’s intended target of the cursor.

Gonna see if I can hook up a gamepad and stream games to this device as well — because why not, lmao!?

Edit: Also, lol, it’s becoming a bit ridiculous in how much I’m gushing over this device over the last few days — even I am starting to notice it. Hopefully I’ll get this case of “fanboyism” out of my system soon… :smiley:

I’ve owned several Macs, but stopped using them in 2015 when they decided to stop supporting Open Source graphics APIs. I’d probably still be using one right now as my primary desktop machine if they had supported Vulkan on OS X. If I have to use a platform with proprietary APIs, I might as well get something out of the equation (e.g. a wealth of games on Windows w/ DirectX).

You all have Apple’s poor decisions to thank for my interest in modifying PC games in a weird way, lol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080-PAPER-EDITION-TOTALLY-LEGIT-FREE-TOILET-PAPER-ROLL/284016547394?hash=item4220b49642:g:Qa8AAOSw~2FfZTNA

Good bot? :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: 59 bids 6000 something dollars.
Well, at least the roll isn’t in a used condition. :smiley:

EDIT: These PY scripts and all though, RIP GPU availability for a while I suppose.
(And the upcoming hardware and the console hardware and a bit more perhaps, it’s a thing now it seems.)

Rest of it including what appears to be the actual GPU’s also seem to be hovering upwards of 10k US Dollars due to this not just the picture editions checking EBay a bit and sorting by pricing for the 3080’s ha ha.
(Well I can see the humor in it but anyone wanting a GPU upgrade is going to have a problem plus future hardware launches.)

Ideally, that’s how all of this stuff should really work… but in practice these are one-off cables that you don’t reuse :-\

I’d love to just put a bunch of fiber cables in my walls running to various rooms and change out the end plugs as needed. But I’m weird like that, I want super high quality video signals in whatever room fancies me, lol. I already have OLED TVs in every room, I just want to be able to move from room to room and use the same computer @4K/120.

1 Like

I’ve really been captured by Watch Dogs 2’s random chaos you can orchestrate and have fun with. I have barely even completed a single mission in the main story yet have over 20 hours just doing stupid stuff.

Oh, and I discovered my favorite vehicle yet in the game!

Driving around with it while calling the cops and executing gang hits are just some cracked fun.

1 Like

The reactivity and detail is probably the best I’ve seen after GTA owing to the time Rockstar can take with their titles.

Go into the gay bar take the phone out in camera mode and then back out and instant street brawl and chaos.
(Expect to be photo bombed a lot though using that for screenshot purposes.)

Ubisoft’s usage of street art and clutter is also impressive and the vertical exploration is surprising too with how many rooftops and areas you can explore.
(The forested area whatever it was to be used for is also neat as a bit of a side to the urban city districts themselves.)

And all the wondrous things your phone tells about the people scanned. :smiley:

EDIT: Actually I think the game was free on EGS recently don’t know if it was temporary or the permanent giveaways though. :slight_smile:

That’s one of the last memorable games I actually played. I usually find they all pretty much blur into the same experience with a different developer / publisher name, but I can honestly say that one was unique.

The game is actually a physically accurate depiction of San Francisco. I found myself getting lost wandering around places I’ve been in real life, rather than finishing the game’s story :stuck_out_tongue:

This is why I want a simpler version of Flight Sim. I love visiting real places and doing whatever I want, apparently more than I like a game’s actual story content :stuck_out_tongue:

Guessing London is going to be similar, further with the silliness over the first games more dramatic moments (And the second game pinging between both depending on the mission.) Ubisoft has a lot of really talented artists and they throw a lot of developers over multiple studios on their larger projects.

Even with it’s tech issues and other shortcomings exploration in Breakpoint was also really interesting or much of the Assassin’s Creed series and then Division 2 as a near 1:1 of part of Washington D.C though with some name changes and alterations for gameplay purposes. :slight_smile:
(As per most of their games plus the whole non-political angle they’re claiming. :stuck_out_tongue: )

EDIT: Going to be interesting to see what the hardware change can do for open world game design as backwards compatibility and cross-gen is phased out and development shifts entirely to the new platform and hardware.

In addition to ever growing file size concerns that is. :smiley:

Oh okay, i’m definitely sticking with SK HDR anyway, it just looks so much better.

Hope London is at least mostly accurate, in which case i’ll just be roaming around a ton lol. Could be useful for finding good spots for photography as well, since me and my friend do that a lot.

Could have some interesting little locations in it, maybe borrow a bit from Assassin’s Creed Syndicate although I don’t know if they have a more British Villain themed character than Starric and they can’t just re-use that again. :smiley:

https://i.redd.it/m0vhvemkxz331.png

Map seems to be well known already too.