Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Shame about that community ban and communication with Valve over SpecialK Steam, beta forums are often overrun with discussions of all sorts but the developer forums seemed like it would have been a way to discuss this and get it more prioritized from Valve and now there’s possibly Proton or such but otherwise there’s limited communication opportunities due to how everything’s hooked into that community thing with Steam instead of more I don’t know modular or decoupled for these functions and features.

I don’t use the overlay myself (No gamepad primarily.) but it seems quite important of a fix both for that and the overlay functionality in itself too.

EDIT: Huh so those points had a use after all.

(Which then got a bit strange it seems.)

Though it looks to be mostly minor fluff, would be nice if they did a UPlay point thing for discounts but even if Valve covered for that getting publishers on board (OUR MONEY OUR MONEY!) is going to be a bit tougher. :smiley:

I use the overlay for the simple reason that I never bothered to implement HDR screenshots without it :stuck_out_tongue:

I can obviously take HDR screenshots all on my own, it’s the dual-output feature I haven’t yet decided how to do (where to store and what things trigger screenshots (i.e. achievements)) without Steam integration.

w/ Steam, when you take a screenshot in HDR, SK will capture a pure HDR screenshot in .jxr, and also simultaneously tonemap the game’s HDR down to Rec709/sRGB and compress a .jpg for sharing with non-HDR users.

1 Like

Oh right it’s also used for screenshots directly to the Steam community and I suppose there’s a way to save them elsewhere too.

Guessing Valve and others still haven’t fully supported HDR directly, maybe that will change now that it’s becoming a bit more of a common feature even on PC. :slight_smile:
(Although I suppose also that said support for HDR can be as varied as the HDR implementation itself at least initially.)

EDIT: Forgot about that shader cache method too and yeah there’s a fair bit to it beyond just the Steam client overlay itself by now. :smiley:

Worked out why Crysis is so abysmal when it comes to input processing performance.

I suggest everyone do this immediately:

Edit the executable, re-write the DLL dependency on XInput9_1_0.dll so that it uses XInput1_4.dll.

Games should not have dependencies on down-level DLLs (in fact, they work better if they manually try XInput 1.4, 1.3, 9_1_0 in that order rather than having Windows load the DLL via import dependencies).

Input stuttering is all gone, my overlay works correctly… everything’s much better with that DLL fixed.

I’d give you guys the patch, but the executable’s massive. It really is quicker/easier for you guys to just install CFF Explorer and edit the executable the way I showed and click the Save button.

1 Like

Oh, wow.

I just got a notification about “Season 3” of that show. Which I thought was a bit weird because the show had been canceled last year. They uncanceled it, but now it’s on some obscure streaming platform.

NBC’s crazy :slight_smile:

@Kaldaien,
Random question: Special K’s reported “Share0” is, as I understand it, “memory that the CPU and GPU can both use.” However does this mean it sits in RAM or VRAM? If it’s in VRAM, is the number included in the reported VRAM0 metric?

Just trying to get a better idea of what I’m seeing in the below screenshot :slight_smile:

So Special K HDR is sort of a must in this game. It fixes serious banding and weird-ass brightness clipping in HDR mode- Seriously, who clips a games brightness for HDR displays, you can’t even fix this with the colour options in the game’s settings. I’m pretty sure SK HDR is causing a performance penalty though, i’m going to do more testing. I’ll try get comparison screenshots using Steam’s overlay, it’s a huge difference.

You only need 8-bit render passes it seems, 10-bit and 11-bit can be unchecked.

Done, yeah the game’s input is awkward, i had to unplug my controller.

I had to take photos on my phone, Steam overlay isn’t working and Shadowplay screenshots don’t do the job, but this should convey my point perfectly fine. Keep in mind these photos were in the second main portion of the island, where the highlights are shot all the way up for some reason, the beginning area of the game seemed fine.

Crytek HDR - highlights get clipped out of range, feels like a high contrast reshade preset

SK HDR - everything is contained properly in the monitor’s luminance space

Frame rate drop is around 5fps when using SK HDR. Using SK without HDR, the frame rate is fine again, so not sure what’s going on but i’ll mess around with the swapchain settings.

I can’t take a good photo of the banding, because of how phone cameras work, but banding is also eliminated with SK HDR, and the sun itself actually looks more like it should because of that small halo, since it’s not clipped out with SK HDR.

I know this clipping issue isn’t because of my monitor either, LinusTechTips had the same complaint on their LG OLED.

AFAIK We can also take HDR Screenshots from XBOX gamebar functions.

Maybe that can help you show the difference between HDRs.

Thanks, i’ll try that

Share0 is the amount of memory going over the PCIe bus.

The sensors are:

Shared Memory Pool Size
BUS Utilization %

Because I can compute the PCIe bandwidth every frame (I know the link speed, number of lanes and also VRAM’s data rate), and I have a load % value from the driver representing how busy the bus is, I have taken it 1 step further and derived the active bandwidth the GPU is using to transfer that memory over the bus.

Is there anywhere i can share jxr files? I had to use Xbox game bar, which does work, it just doesn’t tonemap to SDR as well as SK does.

There is no specific service with support for JXR, so you’d have to upload it to Google Drive or similar cloud storage provider.

Many of them are small enough to just drop into this thread. You may be able to squeeze them down to the <= 16 MiB filesize limit using 7-zip.

I did that just a few posts back — example:

On another random note, god, the iPad Air/Pro with a keyboard and touchpad (or mouse, which I guess it also supports nowadays) basically feels like a computer when using it.

Even stuff like Alt+Tab (Cmd+Tab I guess it’s on this one) is implemented and works as you would expect it to.

I don’t think I’ll end up regretting picking up a magic keyboard for this device.

I use Winrar, and i can’t seem to make the files much smaller, i’m uploading to Gdrive instead, forgot that was a thing lol.

I prefer my Microsoft Surface Pro… cause when it’s not busy feeling like an actual computer, it is an actual computer! :stuck_out_tongue:

It sucks at playing games, but it’s extremely handy having a tablet that can verify D3D12 code. It’s slow as all hell, but it makes a great reference testing environment when I don’t want to boot up an actual computer to test compatibility.

I’ve stored jxr screenshots here. Don’t read too much into the frame rate, the backbuffer count was different between the two versions, it’s more accurately a 5-7fps drop in the waterfall view when using SK HDR vs vanilla.

The more i look at the screenshots, the more broken vanilla HDR is, lol. Obvious banding, the clouds have a halo, what’s even going on with vanilla.

I have long contemplated picking up a Surface Pro but I am thoroughly used to the iOS/iPad OS ecosystem by now. My iPads have been my most used computing devices for the last 7-8 or so years, I think.

Truth be told I still want to pick up a Surface Pro if only to give one a spin and compare the experience to an iPad. I can see use-cases where a proper Windows-based device is superior to iPad (e.g. actually working on the device for one, lol).