Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

I love how the 1080 ti still holds up so well, AMD still hasn’t released a more powerful GPU all this time later.

Yeah until the 2080Ti and even so the GPU aged remarkably well.
2080 giving users RTX capabilities but it seems the actual performance gains are almost within the margin of error for benchmark results going by that image.

Nice to see some PS3 games actually hold up well at 4k

And i didn’t know Doom Eternal was so vram hungry

Doesn’t DOOM Eternal have that thing with a set cache value for each texture setting?
(EDIT: But yes at Ultra Nightmare type settings and 3840x2160 it seems to hit above 8192 limiting 8 GB GPU performance results.)

Will be interesting to see what the real value for Watch_Dogs Legion is too but that’s going to be affected by that texture pack Ubisoft has for the game as well but even at 3840x2160 I doubt the actual VRAM usage will be anything significant.

EDIT: Yeah it appears to be a cache value.

Maybe 6144 plus the non-texture data so Nightmare should be 4096 with high at 3072 I’m not entirely sure how it’s set up here.

EDIT: Could be percentage based too plus the data for the display resolution, shadows and such outside of the games texture assets for how it’s handled.

EDIT: What’s it called again a texture pool size so probably a static value it allocates.
Vulkan (Plus D3D12) API too so getting the actual usage might be a bit more difficult instead of the full allocated amount.

Graphics settings for Crysis remastered

Actual video

I’ve wanted smaller scale shadows for ages, it’s so nice seeing grass shadows everywhere :smiley:
1080p stream though so it’s difficult to appreciate the improvements.

Example of good shadow coverage on grass and foliage

Don’t know if there’s a notable visual difference with ultra vs ultra-nightmare textures, haven’t tested for myself.

I frankly don’t even understand how DOOM Eternal’s VRAM utilization works…

My tools do not measure allocated VRAM, they measure the amount the graphics driver reports back that the game is using on a per-frame basis.

Whereas it is very common for RTSS / MSI Afterburner to report a constant value the entire time a (D3D12 / Vulkan) game is running, it is unheard of for the technique that Special K uses to measure VRAM — and yet, that game has constant VRAM usage every frame.

I wish I had more Vulkan titles to compare that behavior, I have basically only previous generations of idTech and RDR2 to go off, and neither exhibit this bizarre constant VRAM utilization.

DigitalFoundry mentioned repeatedly in their video how the most major gains with Ampere is in comparison with the Pascal architecture, so I’m quite eager in getting upgraded :slight_smile:

And yeah, I’ll got for a 3080 this time around. Should serve me well I imagine going into the next 1-2 years.

And all the marketing was focused on saying how good Ampere is versus Pascal, because Turing didn’t sell that well . nVidia is more focused on converting Pascal users to RTX.

What part of the marketing was focused on comparisons to Pascal? O.o

All the “up to 2x” claims and the like was based on the 2080, after all – as was DigitalFoundry only allowed to perform a 2080 v. 3080 pre-embargo video and not compare the 3080 to any other card.

I think it’s more that Nvidia were trying to sell Ampere as another Pascal moment, because of how legendary Pascal is unlike Turing, and there was that moment Jensen said something along the lines of “Pascal owners, i think it’s safe to say it is now time to upgrade”.

Edit: This, i was a little off lol

1 Like

Maybe it’s something to do with the transition away from megatextures?

Ugh, when will every single stream out there stop being limited to 1080p.

20.9.1 AMD
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-9-1

This could be nice :smiley:

And this was revealed too, it says PS5 “console” exclusive so maybe it’s also on PC?

There’s usually a years exclusivity from Square but it can vary a bit though that’s the normal console first and then PC thing they do. :smiley:

@Kaldaien When is latest SK released? I`ve gotta test the new HDR setting in RDR2 please :drooling_face:

Also a spoilery trailer, but they're adding raytraced reflections to DMC 5 it seems

Can somebody check the Pillars of Eternity 2? Control panel says “steam api is valid” but counter shows 0, and none of steam features are available. And achievements are not unlocking.

Lol, wtf – seems Sony is backtracking on some PC announcements right now.