Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

I… dunno… A higher power limit would’ve been cool to have, but I only have horrible experiences with AOI solutions where the pump eventually just dies for no apparent reason X number of years down the line…

Do you do LN2 stuffs? Def would want a KP for that. But Ive never met someone who did that outside of making youtube videos!

Edit: yah the 360mm rads are pretty interesting if you have a big enough case! But you are going to be paying almost 3k for it, why not get a nice 38 inch 4k ultrawide with the price difference lol

No :slight_smile:

But I do have a custom loop watercooling setup. I tossed the AIO aside on day one; the card runs +500 MHz boost over stock boost and +1100 MHz over normal VRAM limits… without LN2, and without the card breaking 40C :stuck_out_tongue:

How much larger is the power limit on the KP compared to hydro copper? And couldn’t you technically flash the KP bios on the other cards?

It’s at least 22% higher, I don’t know that specific card.

You might be able to flash the bios onto a different card, but they won’t have enough physical power connectors to take advantage of the 144% limit. The KP card has 3x 8-pin connectors.

That’s exactly why I’m getting ftw3 ultra again, but just the 3080. this time they have 3x 8pin.

I knew there was a reason that I had disabled that on my system.
Great for valorant, csgo, not much else. Have you seen the Nvidia Reflex stuff? They said it works at a per game level to reduce system latency even further. What is your take on this?

I suppose if anyone had the data to make such a thing per-game, it would be NVIDIA. I don’t think that’s necessarily needed… my solution works in all games, as it should.

Thank you!

I feel this pain every day. I need Rocket Lake yesterday, instead Zen 3 will be out in Nov or Dec, and Rocket Lake prolly not till early 2021 :skull_and_crossbones:

Any particular reason you have the world’s slowest DDR4? Especially with how prices have drastically dropped recently, your system would IMMENSELY benefit from getting RAM @ 3200 CL14
EDIT: NVM IM DUMB ITS DDR3, but oof still you gotta get some newer stuff

Yeah some people are insane, and later on I linked a video of the 780 playing RDR2, they disabled settings so that the 3GB of VRAM is not the cards issue, and it’s just straight up a failure in performance.
I don’t get how people can see that PS4 Pro comes out 3 years later, and Xbox One X comes out 4 years later, but they think their GPU is gonna be magical and last for 7 years and also never have to reduce resolution or settings.
Some of those people were just trolling though, the worst one got a week long ban once the mods noticed.

This is exactly how I feel, there is zero chance you are going to want to keep using this card beyond a certain date, and the VRAM will never have been the bottleneck.
There is gonna be that one guy though who says, “i got the game running at 16 fps but I couldn’t set it to ultra textures, nvidia was a scam”

BTW, as bus bandwidth goes up, CPU <—> Device latency goes down. Saturating the PCIe bus is not the only reason you would want a faster bus. Any time the CPU needs something from the GPU and can’t continue doing work until the GPU responds, that’s a performance hiccup that would be smaller with a faster bus.

Check down the section under Reflex

And for the real good stuff

This works on 900 series cards and up too!
I’m very excited, btw Valorant is integrating Reflex on September 17th, so it won’t be long before we get to use it!

Yeah I use Meta Council too since Durante moved to it.
And yeah PC is more niche on ResetEra, not surprising for a community of 50k, which is too bad, but they’ve still got quite a few dedicateds.

These days I am on here, MetaCouncil, ResetEra, Discord, Reddit… too many things xD

It would help if PC ports actually used VRAM as a texture cache rather than streaming them from disk constantly. It’ll be different with the next round of console games, VRAM will once again be important.

I wasn’t 100% about this concept, Allocated VRAM is how much the game has said, I want this much VRAM set it aside for me so no one else can use it, does cached data reside in the area between VRAM usage and VRAM allocated, or is it included in the VRAM Usage #?

That’s not how any of this works, actually. VRAM is a virtual resource, whatever does not fit physically into VRAM will overflow into system memory. The driver decides what resources to place where.

There is no technical “cache,” this is just unused memory the engine hasn’t released yet because there’s enough VRAM that clearing it and later reloading it would be a performance hazard.

I was about to release 0.11.0.48, but then…

I may have improved the limiter substantially in D311/12, but kinda broke it in D3D9/GL :-\

Btw, anyone believe an 8700K CPU would become the bottleneck when paired with a RTX 3080 / 3090 and playing at 4K res, targeting 60 FPS?

I really should look that up… I want to know whether I should plan for a CPU upgrade or not as well this year.

Let me rephrase.
Card has 10GB of VRAM
Situation 1: Game allocates 10GB of VRAM, usage is sitting at 5GB.
Situation 2: Game allocates 7GB of VRAM, usage is sitting at 5GB.

Usage is the same here, did they both cache the same exact amount, or did situation 1 cache more of the game?

Only game I would expect to be a bottleneck around 60 fps is FS2020. But that thing is a whole nother beast.

@Kaldaien I’ve love to know if there has been any uptick in traffic, I’ve got 11k page views now on my thread, and I linked to here a couple times.

B/c I don’t have money to upgrade my memory to 32GB for DDR4 since its super expensive. And even though I could’ve gotten newer CPU when my PC had water spilt on it. I decided to upgrade from 2600 to 4790K so that I can utilize DDR3 to max ability. Just didn’t have the cash to do full new Memory setup. While with my fix I got 16GB more memory with DDR3 since I already had sticks for 16GB.

My current rig is
i7 4790K 4.4Ghz Solid Clock
32GB of mixed memory as you saw earlier. Will get that new ram soon and have speed up to 2133Mhz.
RX 5700 XT Strix OC Edition
1TB 860 Evo SSD for games.
3TB WD Blue Drive.
850w Gold PSU. Corsair one. Very nice one I believe. Forgot which one though.
Win 10 Pro.