Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Apparently this crazy thing was design by giants.

I literally cannot reach any of the keys :slight_smile: They moved all the modifier keys to where the thumb is supposed to be able to reach them, but if I put my thumb there I can’t reach the keys on the inside.

RIP I hope you can return it, $300 for a keyboard you are insane

Not a big deal, but are you ever going to update the opening banner? It tells me 0.9.20 every time, and same with the update menu

Edit: Sorry I guess no bug reports in here >_>

I am eagerly awaiting the shipping of that keyboard myself :slight_smile: Waited almost a year now since they first opened pre-orders.

The banner reads the version number from the installed.ini file below the Version subfolder. I guess your file is an old one from ages past.

You are right, deleting that fixed it, but if anyone ever hits check for update in the version menu, it breaks again.

SOOO, i finally jumped on patreon bandwagon… it advertises that there is a discord server, as far as I’m aware that is not true?

I hope you’re not including me, even though i wasn’t projecting my expectation.

On a 1080 ti, i’ve seen up to 7gb-8gb of vram usage in quite a few games (ROTTR, Shadow of War, DMC5) according to SK. Probably even higher in the worst case scenario. FFXV is probably exceedingly high with the texture pack, but i’m unable to download it.

FS2020 is very different from your usual third party games, including the sort most will play come next-gen.

No not you at all :rofl:

Specifically is a guy on Resetera who trolls me and fearmongers about VRAM, despite providing evidence. So unless you are masquerading on resetera with a different screen name xD

I’ve heard Resetera is one of the most toxic platforms (of the popular ones) numerous times, so i don’t bother :slight_smile:

For clarity, i expect the 3080 to be fine for maxing textures at 4k for like 2 years, though i wouldn’t be surprised if 1 year is how long it lasts (for maxing textures in the top games).

Kaldaien can chime in here if i don’t know wtf i’m talking about next, but as of so far, games have mostly been restricting their asset variety and scope (at any given time) to be able to run in mobile hard drives (the consoles). There needs to be little enough data spread out across a world for a mobile drive to constantly manage loading these seamless worlds.

With next gen, higher-end SSDs will allow for a ton more asset variety at any given time. It’s not just that you can travel around faster or go through portals to different worlds, you can also increase world complexity greatly, and still manage to walk around seamlessly as there is a far higher drive speed to work with. This also means vram and ram requirements increase. I expect this to mean lowered texture quality on consoles to fit their ram spec when needed, while PC can go all out as it usually does. Consoles also save some vram from lower overall internal res and some reduced settings here and there - The UE5 demo for PS5 actually runs at 1440p or thereabouts according to DF.

The only thing really stopping that above para scenario (with SSDs pushing vram requirements) is Microsoft’s two-year crossgen phase for Xbox, which i guess is partially to account for the lower end PCs out there.
Edit: Ignore that last sentence, I forgot the third party next gen exclusives, lol.

As far as Resetera goes, the people that typically talk trash about it, are people who have been banned for themselves being toxic. 99% of Restera (gaming side at least) is great.

In regards to next-gen games:

This is balanced with

Same benefit that consoles will have, PC’s will have.

XSX has 13.5GB of VRAM possible to allocate to games, and must share with CPU. Also only 10GB of the XSX has the faster bandwidth of 560GB/s, the other 3.5 runs at 336 GB/s.

Developers will not likely be allocating more than 10GB to GPU, otherwise they run into bandwidth penalty.

For those of us who pair NVME SSD with 30 series GPU, VRAM isn’t going to be the limiting factor for performance.

Think about it from an NVIDIA engineers perspective, they could have given us 12GB, or even 11GB, at a higher price point, without any changes at all to the architecture (in fact it would be even more bandwidth if they did), yet they chose 10GB for their flagship GPU. They know what they are doing.

You know the Gtx 960 was a 2gb card in a time where 3-4gb requirements were becoming a thing?

Nvidia have often gone with lower vram amounts as it helps push gamers to upgrade when they hit their limit.

AMD have traditionally looked out for consumers more in the vram department, but what matters to consumers is the performance of the now, not the performance in a couple of years.

This was not a flagship card, the GTX 980 had 4GB.

And the 1060 suddenly jumped up to 6gb? The 960 was a factually bad card when it released, AMD had options at the same price range with more vram and it made a difference.

The 1060 was released 18 months later. Why wouldn’t it have 6GB at that point?
I understand the 960 was VRAM starved, but it isn’t very relevant to the discussion of whether today and within the next 4 years, 10GB on the flagship 3080 will be a performance barrier.

Wait so, Nvidia decided they needed 6gb all of a sudden, even though the 980 (which performed around the same) was 4gb? What made them jump up to 6gb is what I’m asking. This is all within the same gen as well, since you seem certain a console determines how far PC will be pushed.

That’s fine, and I gave the 960 as an example when you said the engineers know what they’re doing. I know they know what they’re doing, and like I’ve pointed out, Nvidia traditionally still try to get away with lower vram amounts.

The 680 was 2gb and wasn’t long before current gen started, the 7970 for some reason went with 3gb. You can check benchmarks of early current gen to see how much 3gb helped.

I sure hope I’m not sounding like one of those resetera guys, I’m only here to have a discussion regarding vram usage. If you don’t agree at all, then we’ll just have to wait for the proof that will inevitably show if 10gb is enough or not.

The time between 980 and 1060 was 22 months. The time between 960 and 1060 was 18 months. This is not “all of a sudden”.

Yes, historically PC requirements are dictated by the games being created on consoles.

You have to take things into context. The jump between PS3 and PS4 was 256mb to 8GB. 16x increase in VRAM.
The jump between PS4 and PS5 is 8GB to 16GB, 2x increase.

None of this discussion has had any bearing on the 3080 10GB, which is what I was previously discussing, but of course I have no problem having friendly debate. :grin:

And I dont view disagreeing as the same as trolling. I know we don’t know each other, but I like to think that we are both mature adults capable of disagreeing.

Exactly, so what’s with the need to push the vram with the 1060? It’s all within the same gen.

Nice.

Also might be deliberate but it seems the source code link disappeared from the top menu I’m just seeing the download, wiki, blog and donate named menus now.

EDIT: Nope it’s there it just differs between where on this site you are. Never noticed that before. :slight_smile:
(Same with the trailer link it seems.)

EDIT: Never noticed the bottom despair bar either, what else might there be to discover ha ha.
(Scroll way down and there’s suddenly this white bit.)

EDIT: And in entirely different news a 3070Ti mention which I suppose is only surprising in how early it got leaked/mentioned.

(The spacing in pricing tiers and for things like a bit extra performance or VRAM made it pretty clear NVIDIA could slot in a model or two later on not just a 3060 or 3050 lower range hardware down the line which I also expect will happen.)

3080Ti would be nice, still costly though but not 50%+ of the entire rest of the system cost and being able to somehow handle that cost for the 3090 fun as that GPU would be to try out ha ha.

Discussing the 60 series release is not fruitful, you should be comparing flagship releases of the time. Both NVIDIA and AMD flagships had only 4GB of VRAM (GTX980 and R9 290X).
The reason that early gen GPU’s could not keep up is again, 8GB of shared VRAM was absolutely insane for 2013-2014 when they PS4 was released. This was a 16x increase over the previous gen. The flagship 780 released in may 2013 only had 3GB.

Compare the 1060 to the 1080, the 1080 released in May 2016 with 8GB. The 1060 came in two models, 3GB and 6GB.

Your reasoning is flawed, to say why did Nvidia push the vram 2 years later, when both vendors flagship GPU’s were already severely behind consoles, with only 4GB of VRAM at the beginning of the generation.

And again, none of this is relevant to whether today, the 3080 10GB does not have enough VRAM to last the next 4 years.

If PS5 and XSX had gone with a higher than 2x increase, I absolutely agree that 10GB would not be enough.

But there is zero current evidence that within 4 years, a 3080 you buy today will be held back by VRAM capacity. Luckily, for those who are distressed by the VRAM amount, they can purchase a 20GB 3080 from an AIB partner.

Monster Hunter World gets pretty close to 10 GB but that’s a bit of a exception and it’s primarily due to the texture pack and loading areas almost in full so the VRAM usage is pretty hefty compared to other games including caching X amount of the total available or streaming data in and out.

I crash shortly after leaving the main camp unless I turn down settings since it exceeds the 8 GB my current 5700XT has so at 3840x2160 it’d probably also close in on 10 GB but again few if any other games have that sort of demand yet and likely won’t for a few years at the very least.

EDIT: The game exits entirely when running out of memory for D3D12, Vulkan has a extension to forcibly over allocate but it would cause stuttering or behavior like in HZD due to leakage when it hits the page file but that’s a bug and also not really part of the standard.
(Just exit the game once after shader caching is over with and it should be mostly resolved for that issue.)

It was 8gb of shared ram, which I’m sure you’re aware of, so not necessarily severely behind consoles. You won’t find a game that even the 970 (with 3.5gb of full speed ram) can’t run at console equivalent textures just fine at 1080p. The 980 can sometimes do higher texture quality than consoles, the 1060 and 580 do so with ease.

Don’t forget the 390 8gb was a thing, I think around the same time the 980 ti released.

Are you not familiar with using history as a guide for the future?

I’ve already stated third party games earlier that are hitting around the 7-8gb mark at 4k according to SK, I can share screened as proof if needed. The new consoles are doubling in the ram department so i would be truly surprised if next gen games that push complexity even further and likely texture quality will just run fine with a 10gb framebuffer. But to be clear, my estimation is that the 3080 won’t have enough vram to handle max textures in upcoming games after about two years, maybe one. If you’re fine with dropping texture settings down a notch by then, you should be fine.

I have to try sleep btw, so I won’t see anything till tomorrow, goodnight :slight_smile: