Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

@Kaldaien can you update the custom reshade to latest reshade version? or is it too much work?

The Nintendo Switch joycons and pro controller do the same thing, it’s neat

Where’s your source for this? I can’t find anything on Joycons already doing this.

If you collect a 1up in the mario games on switch, it will play the 1up noise through your controller using the LRA’s.
If you have a steam controller, it can play little tunes as you turn it on and off. It’s all the same thing.

Can some magic be done to Train simulator 2019? ( not Train Sim world )
game suffer from massive stuttering even on good hardware since the engine is old and have no optimization whatsoever

thanks in advance

@kaldaien your secret footer of despair links don’t work for me

Oh, interesting. I’m more just hoping that i can experience HD rumble (or similar) on PC. I think the only Switch game where i’ve actually felt the HD rumble was used properly (or at least to a better extent than PS and Xbox games) was Super Mario Odyssey.

If the PS5 controller feels good to use, then i’ll hold out hope that someone will implement a tool that allows the haptic feedback to emulate(respond to?) game sound. I know there’s a tool that allows you to force Xbox One trigger vibrations for some games, and it’s pretty cool.

And yes, i’m interested in controller vibration :upside_down_face: I prefer k+m in every way, except the part where i don’t feel haptic feedback.

They were a test… I wanted to see if/when anyone would mention that :slight_smile:

It’s in a weird place, so I don’t think I’ll actually be using that for anything important (if at all).

How do i get xbox trigger vibrations to work? I play Forza horizons 4 on pc

That game should already support it? At least according to this compatibility list https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_games_that_support_Xbox_One_impulse_triggers

This is the tool

Edit: Hmm weird, ROTTR is also mentioned as supporting it when it doesn’t - or at least i didn’t notice it. I used the tool for ROTTR and it works pretty well. I think someone in the PCGW thinks any Xbox exclusive/focused game ported to PC is going to automatically support the trigger vibrations.

I mean options are great but personally I would rather just press and it shows for a few seconds rather than hold down.

Can you explain why this needs extra GPU horsepower? You did say that it uses less CPU than ever before. I use g-sync, so what would be the downside of using this?

I would be more than happy for this, but before I can retire RTSS, I need to be able to display these statistics in every game. Ideally in a nice looking way like this :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I have been curious all other monitors report VRAM allocation instead of real usage, you can see that 5871 MB has been allocated reported by MSI, but then FS2020’s dev overlay reports only 2719MB is in use, does Special K report the first number or the 2nd number.

@Kaldaien can i play around with OSD designs in Photoshop? - ofc, i’ll try to keep SK’s OSD settings in mind

Yup I’m an idiot FH4 works just fine by itself.

Second number, probably. RTSS and such monitors reports system-wide VRAM usage. Special K typically reports scene VRAM usage.

The use of RTSS’ method of monitoring is probably why a lot of people think that modern games need a ton of VRAM to work when in reality they often work with far less VRAM, at the minor cost of seeing more textures be streamed in and out of VRAM.

Edit:
A good example of this was during the closed beta test of Ys: Lacrimosa of Dana, where testers noticed how the VRAM usage reported by RTSS and other tools would constantly increase until basically the tool reported all VRAM being in use. This would suggest a VRAM leak existed but all the while Special K would report VRAM usage at or around 2 GB regardless of what RTSS reported.

Further testing with other games simultaneously running showed that the supposedly “maxed out” VRAM usage reported by RTSS was not in any way actually locked to Ys: Lacrimosa of Dana, and other VRAM hungry games would still run and play fine despite this reported metric.

So VRAM usage nowadays can basically be compared to RAM usage. It’s good to have more of it as it allows games to hold more resources in VRAM to minimize having to fetch them from the drives again, but it isn’t really indicative of “how much” a game actually needs to run smoothly.

This infuriates me to no end, I try to educate people, but they cry that 10GB is not enough, despite 4K ultra FS2020 only using 8GB.

Assuming 8 GB is what the game’s own dev tools are reporting, it has to be one of the highest VRAM usages I’ve seen. Most games only require like 2-4 GB of VRAM at 4K based on Special K’s reported usage.

Yes, that is using the devtools FS2020 overlay, 8GB while Afterburner reports 11GB. And I expect that, since it is next-gen :slight_smile:

That is why it is so aggravating everyone saying that 10GB 3080 is not good enough for next-gen

BTW Nvidia is bringing AV1 decode support to 30 series.

Can any of you play this video at 8k60? With 0 dropped frames?

You may need to use this link and select “Always Prefer AV1”
https://www.youtube.com/account_playback

Special K uses memory budgets for VRAM. MSI Afterburner uses neither of those things.

v 0.11.0.48 is silently live… I’ll create a thread for it tomorrow.

0.11.0.48:

+ Added a new "Ultra Low Latency" mode to D3D11 SwapChain settings if you turn
     on Flip Model and engage Special K's Framerate limiter.

>> This limiter mode has the potential to cause stuttering if your system is
        barely hitting its framerate target (which needs to be Refresh Rate)

+ Waitable SwapChains have no configurable duration anymore, they are ON or OFF.
 + Fixed issues that prevented using Flip Model in Cross Code and Disco Elysium

https://sk-data.special-k.info/SpecialK.7z

1 Like