Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

On the other hand: :slight_smile:

Do people still do that? That’s kind of ridiculous. Posting binaries on newsgroups requires stuff like uuencode, it was acceptable to translate binary to text and then require a program to translate back in the 80s an 90s because nothing better existed, these days it’s just stupid :stuck_out_tongue:

Man Flight Simulator is way too much of a simulator, lol… I just want to fly over my house / into a skyscraper in Dubai (is it weird?). But it’s as much of a cluster of confusing buttons and crashing as reverse engineering games.

There needs to be an arcade mode for people who just want to see the scenery, then actually market the thing as a game :slight_smile:

To remember they cut the wings of the only airplane on GTA Vice City because of 911…

Isn’t there an easier setting that does just that? Pretty sure i heard DF mention it.

Also, what happens if you debug shaders in a game that’s constantly streaming in assets :upside_down_face:

lol, it’s not even about that for me…

What I really want is the accurate city in a simulator you can run around in. Crashing a plane into a skyscraper is the closest I’m going to get to jumping off of one.

Watch_Dogs 2 is an accurate depiction of San Francisco (having been there many times), so maybe Watch_Dogs Legions later this year will satisfy some of my desires.

Debugging shaders in a game that’s streaming assets should work, just not be intuitive to a human user :slight_smile:

In fact… watch the trailer you made for Special K a little more closely. Look at the column on the left in the live shader view. FFXV is constantly streaming resources and it shows, normal games would not have that insane amount of list shuffling every frame.

I’ll be here confirming if Legions is accurate to London :grin:

Though based on gameplay videos, they’re just forcing stereotypical British accents, because everyone always thinks Britain only hosts people with British accents.

Should’ve clarified, i mean the internet streaming part. The game streams Bing maps to make up the real world iirc. There’s probably nothing interesting to find, but who knows for sure.

Well… Watch_Dogs 1 didn’t feel particularly accurate to me, nobody had a Chicago accent. It was disappointing because it would have been so funny.

Yeah, that’s nothing special from an engine-level perspective.

It is tremendously special from a simulator perspective though, and is the entire reason I just want an easy mode… basically Google Earth with better graphics :slight_smile:

Come to think of it… if someone actually developed an app like that, where you could walk / drive around rather than fly over a city, I would probably even pay a monthly subscription fee. Explore a new city every night, I’d pay a not insignificant fee for that.

It’s easily one of the biggest early-access type ideas, assuming it’s feasible to keep servers up and running. Would require a good team, but they could work on one country or set amount of space at a time and keep building from there with updates. Would take many years to finish though, and often enough early access projects don’t pan out properly.

If you do actually walk around (well technically free camera) in Flight Simulator 2020, you’ll find the quality drops drastically on ground level in most areas. Your house is probably made up of like twenty polygons, but it’s convincing from a distance. I don’t know if they already intend to, but FS20 is a great game to keep updating and improving on for the years to come.

Edit: Made me think, imagine scouting around when planning a holiday trip. You could plan out a schedule properly, but you’d also be spoiling yourself with the digital views.

That’s why tour guides exist :wink: If you just want to roam around randomly getting lost, you do not need some person talking miscellaneous trivia non-stop. But if you want (often made up) stories to make things interesting, that’s their purpose :stuck_out_tongue:

And yeah, the street level accuracy would never be expected to be particularly good in a flight simulator. They could make up for this if they exposed historical data… fly through a city using (obviously less detailed) data from 10 or 20 years ago and see what has changed.

It’s been a month now since the forums went live. Here are some fun statistics that I wish everyone could see :slight_smile:

Ignore the popular searches for “crash,” my software is totally stable and those are clearly a mistake :slight_smile:

Basically put, Horizon ZD happened.

1 Like

More or less :stuck_out_tongue:

Expect this to happen frequently, over time I will have a record of all poor performing PC games, lol. Data mining this might be fun.

Wait, what? I thought we were discussing offline issues with that game, now you’re saying Special K’s SteamAPI features in general do not work?

Should I buy a copy of the game to fix this? I thought the situation was a little bit different.

Btw check your DMs.

Ditto. I ended up buying it on steam b/c I didn’t have all the dlc’s and it was 20% off when I got it. Right when you mentioned it I grabbed it. Since that would be a no-brainer due to price tag is much lower on steam.

Edit:
I also recently found out when I put in my New GPU that it didn’t sit all the way down in slot so it had been running at 4x speed in PCI slot. And in PCI 2.0 Slot as well. So I basically found a way to move it up to 3.0 PCI-E slot and finally got the cables moved in a way so that the GPU now sits fully into slot. Now its at 16x speed. Should see if that makes a difference in games now.

My RX 5700 XT Strix OC edition card.