Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

I’ll just run it off a home server when the time comes. The required 4 GiB of RAM is pretty easy to come by when you’re not in a data center :stuck_out_tongue: $20/mo for 2 CPUs and 4 GiB of RAM just to run GitLab is silly, considering nobody touches the source code.

I’ll need an IPv4 tunnel to run the server at home, since my ISP blocks certain ports, but that can be arranged for a fraction of the cost of a 2 CPU / 4 GiB server node.

In fact, I think this server might even be able to do the trick. It has an SSH server, so I should be able to port forward an SSH tunnel to an unblocked port on my home machine.

BTW, for those who use Steam…

Stay out of the forums for that game. No idea WTF the obsession with trans is over there, but it’s what got me banned for a year. Trying to diffuse a conversation between a bunch of hateful assholes. Just keep out, don’t even post. Probably don’t even buy the game, since it was someone affiliated with Don’tNod that banned me for a year.

New plan, since Steam Support and volunteer moderators on Steam are useless due to incompetence…

Can I get a few people to flag all of my [Special K] threads requesting a permanent ban? Reference this post if need be. The big ones are FFXV, Persona 4: Golden, Monster Hunter: World and Final Fantasy X / X-2, the rest are relatively inactive… but if you’ve got free time, feel free to flag my 20 other threads too :slight_smile:

I’m literally not going back to Steam, so this affects me in no way whatsoever, it’s a courtesy for users who don’t otherwise know I cannot respond to them.

Ideally, the volunteer moderators would do this, but they’re a bunch of assholes.

At this point I sadly don’t think that would work either, and at worst flag the users for falsely report posts, or whatever weirdness they can think of…

:expressionless:

Edit: I’ve pointed that particular user to this site.

They would not do that. KillahInstinct seems to have an unwavering belief that flagging threads is infallible and cannot be abused.

As many times as I have explained to the guy the system is abused constantly, both he and Spawn of Totoro insist there is a human reviewing anything flagged and that means mistakes are impossible.

Thus, when I have been banned for malware and promoting piracy, it was because I am a malicious pirate, not because people abuse the reporting system. And clearly, those previous system-wide bans did nothing to teach me to stop writing malware or pirating software and the only way to get me to stop is with an even longer system-wide ban.

Oh, and FYI…

special-k.info also redirects here. It’s even more amusing (to me anyway) when special-k.info is an alias that takes you to differentk.fyi. The joke’s not fully realized until you point people to special-k.info :slight_smile:

Last… if you’re not using the E-Mail notification system, could you change your user preferences from “only when away” to “never?”

I changed the defaults for new users, but people who created accounts 1-2 days ago are getting E-Mail notifications whenever something’s posted and they’re not online, and those E-Mails are eating into the maximum number of new signups each day. I’d need even more Patreon pledges to pay to increase the E-Mail cap.

Done. Hopefully this helps :slight_smile:
firefox_Hw1kE8AZ4i

Thanks.

In fact, we’ve been over the limit for the past 2 days it seems :wink:

I misread the limits, and it was 100 E-Mails a month. I upgraded to 10,000 E-Mails a month for $10.00. Hopefully that’ll last, because this whole thing is hemorrhaging money quick :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like the forum AI likes JBeckman :slight_smile:

https://discourse.differentk.fyi/badges/44/new-user-of-the-month

The hell? 100/month makes no sense at all! 100/day would’ve at least netted 3000/month, but I guess they didn’t get enough users to move over to paying them if they went that way or something…

At least 10,000/month should last us a while.

Also, just got mass-mailed, so I guess that was why I suddenly had 7-9 new mail or so in my inbox.

Looks like we have our very own automated link filtering system, but a little smarter than Valve’s crap :wink:

I had to restore 3 posts from a “new user” linking to the same site. I imagine after the user stops being new, they won’t be subject to these tests anymore. Open Source software is so much better designed than proprietary crap.

And what could possibly go wrong ha ha, well I suppose this isn’t driven by Shodan at least so no nah moment just yet, wonder how the remake of that first game is coming along actually Shodan is a lot more creepy in that but then the 2d sprites compared to the Dark engine and a distinct issue with polygon counts and character 3d models. Game itself was great though as was the Thief games much as the first one stumbled between being a adventure/action title and being a Thief game at times. :smiley:

EDIT: System Shock 3 was salvaged too I believe by Tencent the incredibly giant corporation that has something like multiple times the revenue of Facebook or what it was again, always surprising to read about some of these.

Like how Konami has ventures into gyms and what not among other things besides their arcade and home system console outputs which they are more famously known for here.

Push up, push up, push down, push down…

Then I never remember if it’s right, right or left left. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Although considering the arcade systems broke bank and the economic bubble Japan had in the 1980’s that’s a serious amount of money though the same goes for studios like Atari and others from the West and elsewhere.

Good thing too, burying all those E.T copies way off in the desert of somewhere can’t have been cheap.
(Still didn’t quite work out as someone eventually found them.)

My final fairwell to Steam:

Heh, though I thought you would have closed it down but I suppose Valve might take the page offline if requested or however that works.

Not too much else happening, AMD should have their usual monthly driver up for at least Horizon Zero Dawn in a day or two and NVIDIA probably has something far as software goes, looks like a bunch of motherboard vendors are steadily rolling out additional bios and AGESA updates from AMD as well I see Gigabyte has a F21 out for most of their boards further improving PCI-E compatibility and resolving a longer standing sleep problem.
(Think it’s the one where the system goes into a 1:2 mode for infinity fabric clock speeds instead of 1:1 which it otherwise utilizes up to at least 1800 Mhz / DDR4 3600 speeds.)

Asus and others have also been filling in the 300 and 400 series little by little after the B550’s and X570’s got updated.

Don’t think there is anything for the chipset just yet after the previous update earlier this month, should be something for the 4000 series of processors eventually at least and then it depends on if AMD does a X600 or not for motherboards or if that’s for AM5 and the 5000 series next.

Intel I think are still on track for 2021 though there was a bit of a delay so if that’s accurate it might be a while into the next year until they have something new to showcase in addition to fine tuning the existing architecture.

NVIDIA and AMD are also seeing some activity on the GPU side but it’s mostly minor bits and info such as the commits for the Linux driver and kernel confirming more about Navi20’s though scaling isn’t ever really linear so final performance figures remains to be seen, same for NVIDIA after the earlier rumors on that the 3000 series might not be as big of a performance step up but then the 2080 Ti because that’s the only GPU they made or something on the 2000 series is what’s compared against and that card performs almost well enough to make higher framerates in 4k viable without dialing down various settings in current games. :smiley:

EDIT: Oho.

I’m going to get as many laughs from that as $200 will buy you. They won’t refund my app submission fee because it’s been over 6 months since I paid it. I hate Valve, which is why they’re now part of the language filter on these forums :slight_smile:

Ugh, so it turns out… the reason Valve rejected my software is because they think I am modifying the SteamAPI DLL. No doubt pirates flagged the software repeatedly :frowning:

Sorry, after reviewing again with the content review team, I have to reiterate their earlier information- we are choosing not to sell this game on Steam. Products that try to change the Steam API, Steam Overlay, DLLs, etc, aren’t something we’re willing or able to ship and our decision on this product is final.

And that couldn’t be in the initial reject answer for some reason? At least you got some clarity on what happened though that sounds like it should have been an easy thing to resolve they just ask and you show some source code example and explain how it works.

Kinda like this happened once or twice before or something, should have been so easy to resolve instead it gets all complicated.

I think it gets complicated because pirates are saying I use SteamAPI to delete files. That’s not even possible, except for cloud storage.

I don’t modify the SteamAPI DLLs in any way, shape or form. I use them the same way the game does, to listen for achievement unlock, check the achievement unlock rate of friends, and determine if the overlay is active or inactive.

Don’t know why that twists Valve’s panties.

Their loss, their overlay can go back to being too dim to read, while I go fix another store’s overlay instead :slight_smile:

Uh oh…

Hello,

Thank you for your submission and your interest in GOG.

This is an automated message – you can reply to this email to provide additional details or update your submission. Your request ID is #------ – this can help if you need to refer to it later.

Due to big interest in the indie games program, we may not be able to reply to all submissions we receive, therefore, please note that if we do not reply within two business weeks, it means we’ve decided to pass on the game.

Please also have in mind that we’re not interested in mobile games (including ports of mobile games), as well as free games (including freeware titles, and free to play), and we will have to pass on these games as well.

Regards,
GOG.com Team

Apparently Special K is an “indie game,” all this time I thought it was … I don’t know what it was, but I’ve been quite certain it was never an indie game :slight_smile: