Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

So how do I change RTSS’s framerate limiter mode anyways? I have the latest beta version of 7.3.0 Beta 6, but no option appears. Is there another unreleased build somewhere?

There’s a separate topic for development builds for the public ones at least through Guru3D as they’re not yet intended for full distribution, latest should be MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 Beta 4 with Riva Tuner Statistics Server updated to 7.3.0 Beta 9

And Unwinder then posted earlier today as to the state of things both development related and personal.

EDIT: And for SpecialK the above .dll files should be the absolutely latest unless the Discord server has something but those are … well what do I even compare them to.

Daily builds I suppose though that’s kinda what some of the files posted in this topic can be at times ha ha.

Well long as you have a stable version to fall back to trying the newer ones could be useful but it’s about impossible to keep track of current changes until the full release comes out with the updated notes on what’s been added or changed or fixed. :smiley:

EDIT: Think it’s somewhere along the lines of Unreal Engine 3 is being terrible at least for some of it’s screen behavior and state changes, D3D11 is having some fun and compatibility is being worked over alongside D3D12 support really improving and then a whole lot of additions and tweaks to HDR, HDR screenshots, various bits to specific issues trying to sort over some recent Discord channel posts and these latest updates.

Changelog on the source code link to Gitlab is already pretty extensive, looks to be quite a update once this is done. :slight_smile:
(Well the DirectX 12 support alone would be cause for that and then there’s more still alongside that.)

Nice.

Think it’s the Christmas holidays in the US and some other parts of the world, Sweden and a few other areas going at it early on the 24th instead using today as a recovery period ha ha.

Kinda needed though that food isn’t the easiest to handle and there’s a ton of it plus Sweden has this not-Cola bitter soft drink too. :smiley:

And some experimental terrors.
(Making a pizza out of the dishes as a recent development I believe.)

Anyways Nordic traditions and some of it’s strangeness aside that should be the latest for AB+RTSS and also for SpecialK currently. :slight_smile:

On that note, I friggin hate how early shops close up on the 24th in Sweden. Had the morning shift yesterday and when I left work basically all shops and restaurants had already closed up shop.

1 Like

Yeah a lot of shops and even the restaurants close up pretty early, pizza and general fast food places even keep closed for the most part though I saw a lot of people in the local hamburger place yesterday during noon so they had some hours open at least. (Max, guessing McDonalds was similar.)

So now the big pizza day is usually after New Years now, stores might be a bit more open today after the two main Christmas days though and then this coming week will probably be fairly crowded with the start of the sales now through the start of the new year.

I think Sweden mostly stopped sales of New Years celebration rockets and the like due to a increasing number incidents.
Still going to be some shoppers about though looking at making a good deal particularly the electronics stores tend to be really early out with this stuff.

Wonder if it’s the same thing as usual?

Fancy modern HDR TV.
2.000 EUR regular.
2.5000 EUR just before discount.
2.000 EUR discount price what a great deal!

:smiley:
Still going to be packed with people though and in addition to the seniors of superior physique I usually see out and about everywhere the gyms and main trekking paths might see a bit of a surge at least for the start of the year ha ha.

Actually speaking of that what’s to expect if HDR’s going to be something to upgrade for next year.

2560x1440 with HDR600’s becoming a thing.
Don’t think I’ve heard about 3840x1600 before either.

3840x2160 and HDR100 with a decent amount of dimming zones are still fairly rare for displays, 384 is used on a few and 512 on some very high end incredibly expensive models.
(3000+ EUR/USD I believe it’d land at in terms of pricing.)

Maybe a Zen3+ CPU instead ha ha, aiming for a second-gen AM5 and DDR5, PCI-Express 5 USB 4 whatever else +1 system giving that first generation of implementation a miss letting it mature a bit software and hardware wise.

Going to be fun to see the 3080Ti reviews too.
NVIDIA could price it aggressively against the 6900XT as well but I expect it to be mid-way between the 3080 and 3090 so closer to 1500 rather than 1200 but likely a really powerful GPU. :slight_smile:
RAM, Ray-tracing and additional raster performance plus the software and support of features from DLSS to CUDA to Experience and Now along with other features.

Could push the 6900XT pretty hard and if it’s priced to where NVIDIA really don’t want it to be a consideration that’d benefit consumers too with a aggressive price but that’s a very big maybe and I don’t doubt it’s still going to cost a fair bit especially if NVIDIA is sure about it’s performance lead and other advantages plus market popularity / mind-share towards NVIDIA in general.

Then the third party editions of these of which Asus and the Strix lineup is already known now.
AMD’s also struggling with supplies on a scale where even their partners are having difficulties which is a problem.

That or they are playing favorites again the big movers like Sapphire and Asus so they get more chips than some of the other partners.

Also.

They need to get PUBG on that, for reasons. :smiley:

EDIT: As a owner of a deep fryer though it’s not one of those fancy air ones I would imagine this thing would start smelling a bit unless cleaned meticulously if you’re going to use whatever heat source they have that doesn’t throttle the entire system yet can whole cook a chicken of all things without Salmonella and other fun bits of food that really needs to be prepped well becoming a thing with gaming dinner consoles.

EDIT: Also this is where that NVIDIA GPU grill joke led, full circle now I think.

FALD on monitors is garbage, even on the most expensive ones.

Having high nits really means nothing unless you have good contrast ratio.

The only decent implementation is on a handful high end QLED TVs, which cost much more than the equivalent OLEDs.

3080Ti will be $1000 MSRP just like the 6900XT, no question about that.

People tend to forget that MSRP does not include taxes/VAT as well as currency conversions.

Cheapest 6900XT here is the equivalent of $1225.

Even in USA there’s only going to be a handful of people who will pay $1K, in states with very low/no sales tax.

1 Like

Yeah the computer display HDR situation could be better, specs don’t help much either with low to nothing for HDR400 but it can still be a “HDR” certified display even lacking several important features which show up for HDR600 and then HDR1000 and the two highest FreeSync2 and GSync ratings I think but FreeSync2 might still be a bit too variable to rely on for any greater quality.

And yeah the 19 - 27% I believe is the VAT range for most of Europe and how frequently the price is compared USD = EUR and without the VAT added.

There’s some retailer markup and the shipping delays and increased costs involved are problematic but I am hoping it will slowly improve over January and February though it might take into Q2 2021 before this situation is resolved.

6900XT with a 999$ US Dollar price from AMD if we’re using that as a comparison is selling for between 1400 Euro to 2200 Euro.

I don’t have a reference model to compare to though it’s just the listed custom versions.
AMD’s reference cards are significantly cheaper so 1000 to 1200 I would think.
(1000 Euro on AMD’s website but they don’t ship to Sweden or a few other Nordic countries.)

EDIT:
Every GPU has a bit of a range in it’s pricing currently some of the bigger chains have a bit closer to MSRP(Plus VAT) for others retailer price listings though it gets ridiculously expensive.

3000 series Ampere has the same issue though the 3090 started at a higher price and is selling slower but even here it’s from 1700 to almost 2800 Euro.

3080Ti’s going to be interesting, NVIDIA could try to really move against the 6900XT or have it as a bit more expensive but the features and general NVIDIA GPU popularity and the advantages with ray-tracing performance as a consumer favorite even if it costs a bit more.

Should be possible to take the rasterization performance lead too, either some tweaks to the hardware but probably a bit too early for them to move it to the 7nm+ node or a higher allowed power draw and being less limited in boost from this compared to the 3080’s and 3090’s are currently.

EDIT:
Well the consumer favorite for NVIDIA is going to be the 3050 or 3060 really from AMD’s side that’d be the 6700 once available but for the enthusiast market to clear that up.

The 3070 while fair priced is still a costly piece of hardware at near 600 US Dollars / Euro if not a bit more depending on the retailer and some of the designs for it.
(Same for AMD and the 6800 non-XT model.)

3080’s clearly the high-end flagship with the 3090 as something of a halo product I think is what it’s called.

EDIT:
Launch is a bit funny for both AMD and NVIDIA so you have the high-end, flagship and halo product for both and then the mid-range for NVIDIA is now out with the 3060 (Ti?) and AMD’s going to have to get a 6700 something out replacing the 5700 card with this.

Zen3’s and the H I think they’re called iGPU models but otherwise the mid-range market is to my knowledge the most popular.

FOMO, overall supply & demand and this ongoing crypto currency boom plus the pandemic, it’s a mess. :slight_smile:

How far are you pushing the texture res?

So if i’m understanding you correctly, there’s two instances of SK running at the same time? That’s the first time i’ve heard of such a thing being possible, lol.

I am using an x4 model on textures as large as 2048x2048, but there are not many of them, so most will be 2048x2048 and 4096x4096, and I can remove the oversized ones.

Yes thats what I am doing when one SK version is needed for HDR and another needed for textures.

These low nits displays are probably the combination of a marketing gimmick and to drive adoption rates for HDR monitors.

Since few would afford to pay the premium price of an actual HDR monitor, having these cheaper “HDR” monitors on the market at least provides a necessary boost in adoption rate so that it makes sense for devs etc to target HDR.

1 Like

https://metacouncil.com/threads/this-is-madness.2260/

More Sony and PC ports/leaks/rumors/info.

Bloodborne
Last of Us
God of War
Spider Man
Demon Souls

And then also Microsoft though they’re a bit more open with their XBox and PC and the Game Pass and day/date releases PC and console but still.

Banjo Kazooie
Halo Infinite
Fable
Perfect Dark
Various Star Wars projects
Titan Quest 2
Time Splitters
Guitar Hero

Gamepass coming to Steam

WoW Classic to Steam

Several of these were known about since before or at least strongly hinted at and rumored though little official news from Sony whereas Microsoft has been touting that Game Pass feature a lot and several of the games coming up too.

Think Titan Quest 2 (From the devs who made the Fate of Atlantis expansion supposedly.) is new and while not hugely surprising EA and Disney and various Star Wars properties being worked on.

Then there’s Game Pass making it to Steam (Makes sense.) and a little bit about Blizzard with World of Warcraft classic and Steam.

Just have to wait and see when these projects will be unveiled and getting some actual info here. :slight_smile:
Eventually release dates and all that too.

And might as well quote the message too.

:smiley:

Xbox Game Pass on Steam makes little sense, to be honest… is this supposed to be another gutted variant like EA Play is on Steam? Has something like 80% less games on Steam vs. on Origin — for the same monthly price.

I don’t see Blizzard putting WoW on Steam. And if they did I doubt it’d be “just” Classic. It’s be both Classic and Retail. They put some tech that lets them share assets between multiple clients (really useful for not having to have duplicate assets when say playing on the PTR), and you wouldn’t get that with Steam. Plus, you need a sub, which covers Classic and Retail. Blizzard players are used to their ecosystem, and I doubt they’d reach too many “new” players by bringing it to Steam, definitely not enough to justify losing some revenue to Valve’s cut. Now, I could see the various CoD or maybe Overwatch. I’d think they’d reach enough new people that would try those, to justify the lower cut of profits…

Well there’s not enough Microsoft games on Steam so the Pass just unlocking that would be really slim so it’d need to link to the UWP/Windows Store and XBox account in some fashion though it can’t just be the subscription and payment data either pay through Steam play through Windows Store ha ha.

For Blizzard and using WoW Classic here I would have expected Diablo 4 if they’re using something to test Steam and getting into things here it’s F2P as well and they’d have the potential to get the Steam player base in on that as a big new launch, not sure about Activision and their choices here they kinda left with COD and that as Steam was really showing some growth which seemed odd but those 30% - 20% cuts might have been a big factor even with millions of users and the sales potential of going via Steam. (Which I would imagine Call of Duty could reach these sales numbers needed and lowered tiers for the cut Valve takes or also other agreements between bigger publishers fairly easily.)

Steam’s doing something for China too currently not sure if that’s going to culminate in a separate client and entire system in the end or not it’s a big market particularly online and free to play is incredibly popular though the games industry and the number of projects launching in the west have also grown in recent years though I believe mobile is the biggest platform overall although there’s a few hurdles to overcome for getting into the Chinese gaming market.
(Something it’s looking like a lot of publishers and store platforms are willing to do though.)

Not sure if that ties into anything though it’s just something that’s ongoing though it may affect both Chinese video game developers and games and the Chinese Steam users and from there potentially other clients and systems.
(Not something I have followed too closely but the various state decisions and regulations.)

EDIT: Getting Overwatch onto Steam would also make a bit of a ripple shake it up a bit with the other large online games I think it can hold it’s own too.

Might happen if they get the back end cross-platform support going if this is going to be a thing, would think they wouldn’t compromise the existing user base after all or fragment the community here.

Hmm WoW Classic could also be like Guild Wars come to think of it’s or ESO it’s more of a launcher for the game and then it’s mostly handled without Steam.

Could manage the subscriptions and stuff though but that’d be a negotiation and the deals and such for Valve’s take again and how that would go down with not just Blizzard but their parent company and such.
(Think it’s entirely Activision now they’ve left Vivendi entirely think it used to be them before. I am not keeping up to date very well with these things that’s clear enough.)

Neat.

Which yeah not too much to say so far, will be fun to see how the AD100’s turn out.
But first the Ti variants of the Ampere GPU’s and how these will perform. :slight_smile:

Trusted source or no things could also change and the “floppies” aren’t really comparable but it’s a nice really large number if nothing else. :smiley:
(Could be both a lot more cores and increased efficiency this time too, we’ll see.)

Meanwhile everyone is still rolling their thumbs waiting for their desired card to get in stock.

One of my colleagues have a still waiting order from like 2-3 months ago that still haven’t been fulfilled by one of the largest retailers in Sweden… I can only hope the 3080 Ti fares better when they finally gets released.

Yeah I got lucky via Inet because as a less widely utilized store though still a very large retailer not all stock is immediately gone minutes after being listed compared to Webhallen as one of the larger Swedish online retailers or Komplett as one of the bigger of the Nordic countries.

Komplett had a big initial shipment of 3000 series NVIDIA GPU’s and AMD Zen3 CPU’s but it sold out really fast, AMD’s shipments of Navi20’s amounted to almost nothing and the 6800XT’s and 6900’s were just about nothing around zero 69’s and 5 - 10 68 XT’s ha ha.

3070’s and 3080’s should be available later this week for these three again and the Zen3 CPU’s though all have lengthy existing back orders to be fulfilled.

Expected is to get 100’s of units reality is probably similar to Scan getting a few dozen here and there but as a result 2 - 5 minutes and it’s gone after being listed.

Webhallen also sold some stock externally through I think Sweclockers so that limits product availability somewhat too from their online shop.
(A number of products also went to their physical shops though 1 - 5 cards and a few 5600 and 5800 CPU’s isn’t much either.)

Webhallen cites at least from AMD’s side the costly toll and shipping cost having increased now and slowing down incoming shipments with the additional downside of these few cards and CPU’s being put up are also going to sell out immediately especially with shipments going through all of the EU or even world-wide and the situation with scripting.

One reason I jumped to the MSI 6800 (Not the XT version.) no idea how Inet got a batch up and it lasted almost two hours but the entire AMD GPU lineup is a big question mark for availability and for NVIDIA it’s been pushed back again and again with the 3060 Ti and 3070’s somewhat stocking a little every week but selling out almost instantly.

3080’s if any has been available they’ve gone too fast for me to see and the 3090’s are somewhat stocked but the pricing is pretty hefty although they do still sell but there’s no margin for reseller profits on it when the base cost is 20.000 to 27.000 SEK depending on the store. (2000 to 2700 Euro roughly.)

Once available the custom 6900’s are going to have that problem too with pricing ranging from 14.000 SEK to 22.000 SEK and no reference GPU’s which should be closer to 10.000 SEK.

NVIDIA FE variants aren’t listed much either but the range of cards is better and the pricing holds up a bit more so 9.000 - 11.000 for the 3080’s so it costs more but with the VAT the markup still isn’t too great.
(6800XT’s reference should be 8.000 but start at 10.000 and up to 12.000)

Not sure how it’d look for the more impressive NVIDIA GPU variants several of the EVGA’s aren’t really available and Asus as usual is among the more expensive even if it’s not the best choice.

Same from AMD with the Nitro, Devil and Merc having a bigger price markup plus Asus in general once again just costing more but also having better availability usually also having the earliest store listings.

Lengthier than I was thinking it’d be, anyway the situation is a bit of a mess price wise and availability wise plus the existing orders needing to be filled limited incoming GPU and CPU batches and no clear date it’s just December → January → February and now more vaguely “H1 2021” for a general improvement on the situation.

If the binning and GPU availability for the 3080 Ti’s are going to make it a scarce item too then pushing into the first half of 2021 it’s almost like one might skip this gen entirely and see about saving up for the 2021 later half reveals and GPU or other hardware launch instead.

Hopefully it won’t be that bad though and this will be sorted around March at the latest also giving the driver situation time to improve or what one would tell oneself to justify the delayed availability and wait.

NVIDIA’s at least getting stock sent but it’s in small batches with the huge demand so you have a few minutes maybe an hour at most if the 3070 shipments are good but then it’s another week or more until the next one.

Somehow the shipments of the 3090’s are here too they’re being stocked up and more are coming in but the 3080’s are just nowhere to be found haven’t seen any stock since the FE models very briefly on launch day.

3090’s have that advantage of being too expensive though so somehow they do sell but slow enough that availability actually exists if for a few days or so but that’s a lot better than the rest of the Ampere cards.

Wouldn’t recommend one though the cost is almost an entire high-end system on it’s own even when close to the MSRP+VAT without additional price markup for a small gain over the 3080
Technically applies to the 6900XT too but the reference version same as reference 6800XT’s or the 6800 non-XT is below the custom versions while good enough.
(Not that it matters too much there are no reference 6900XT’s here and rarely elsewhere either it seems and the 6800XT’s are also not in stock but a few like 50 or so existed for the initial drop at least. :stuck_out_tongue: )

Well that was bit of a lengthy write-up. Situations a mess, there’s that shortened nicely. :smiley:

Good hardware and a nice performance boost particularly with the 3070 giving a comparable to 2080Ti performance levels at a lesser cost and the 3060Ti’s still pretty high-end too.

6800’s don’t have a bigger difference from base to XT to the 6900XT they’re all a big step up from the mid-range 5700(And XT) a good 50% or so if not more.

But there’s the situation with the pandemic, crypto currency breakthrough I think with this new GPU hash algorithm and how good Ampere, Navi20 and also the Radeon VII and it’s compute performance are with this.

And a lot of people who would want to upgrade, 2080Ti performance at what half price and AMD having a actual high-end GPU that while not ray-tracing performance competitive it does well with raster performance and keeps up with NVIDIA’s current high-end lineup.
(At least until NVIDIA puts out the 3070Ti and 3080Ti because that performance lead was going to be theirs. :stuck_out_tongue: )

Should benefit consumers though, if NVIDIA really wants to they could poke that 6900XT a bit and price the 3080Ti close to 1000 EUR / USD rather than 1500 EUR / USD.

EDIT:
Going to be weird for the 3090 and 3080 GPU users though it’s been ~3 months or so only.
And what it’s going to be a 10% performance improvement would already bridge the 3090 performance lead.

Double the VRAM still GDDR6X (Which is still really fast.) unsure about speeds though could be tuned a bit again if NVIDIA just wants that performance lead with no way for AMD to get back to it without a refresh or with RDNA3 later on.

Higher power draw tolerance and some other tweaks and that’s going to be a potential 20% leaving the 3090 as a ??? GPU (Questionable choice.) with little use anymore because it’s not a Titan it doesn’t have the Titan extras like full FP performance like the workstation cards or anything.
(It’d also cost more.)

Pricing the 3080Ti above and closer to the 2000 range USD / EUR would also be a bit strange of a decision for NVIDIA instead just rolling over the 3090 seems like it’s more realistic even if that means this card has all of a 4 GB VRAM advantage going for it and not much else anymore.

EDIT:
Suppose it depends on what the chip on the 3080Ti Ampere GPU actually has and how it’s cut but if it’s going to be the new fastest card from NVIDIA some advantage with certain workloads or ray-tracing won’t matter that much overall I’d imagine for the 3090’s then.

NVIDIA likely wants the performance crown so it has to be faster and it has the extra VRAM so it’s down to pricing and then we’ll see how it does when reviews come up and unfortunately also any issues with availability if that’s not improved by then.

Does SK conflict with the Steam input API?

Just got a Dualsense controller and wanted to try it in Cyberpunk.

When I run the game through Steam with the controller support enabled, my framerate is locked to 20 on the menu, and the controller doesn’t work.

Disable SK’s Steam enhancements: