Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

NPCs have been fine in my experience, and by that i mean poor but in line with basically any open world i’ve played. I didn’t and wouldn’t expect anything more until games are developed with PS5 and Xbox Series as the base platforms.

On another note, CDPR never proved themselves in the technical aspect. Witcher 3 was notorious at launch for the downgrades, with the devs publicly blaming console hardware. They go on to make a game that’s far more ambitious and everyone expected something polished, i still don’t understand why. Revealing the game as early as they did did them no favours, well except with appeasing to shareholders for some time.

On the bright side (imo at least) people might now learn to not overhype things made by devs that haven’t properly established themselves as being capable of huge projects.

Yeah, don’t do that. Use SK to enhance the game’s HDR, not replace it.

1 Like

Trust reddit to find optimisations like this

Silent (CookiePLMonster) being his usual reverse-engineering self, lmao.

Apparently he and a few other were discussing the Intel compiler/performance benefit claims over on the RPCS3 dev Discord server, and one thing lead to another and the end result is his reply on Reddit to attempt to clear up the misinformation of the opening post.

1 Like

Is this useful if you’re GPU bound?

No, it’s only for CPU bound scenarios, and one’s results may vary. Technically speaking that check shouldn’t even have an impact on Ryzen CPUs, though some people state the opposite.

1 Like

Ig Linus put it best, this situation with Hardware Unboxed gives AMD “fanboys” ammunition against “the enemy”, and could taint the perception of future GPU reviews if this situation gets out of hand

1 Like

Much easier solution that doesn’t require editing anything, is to spoof the core count in SK :slight_smile: Double it if you want. Hell, triple or quadruple it. That’s way more powerful :slight_smile:

Dunno what this nets you in the end though, since the game barely touches the CPU thanks to the efficiency of D3D12.

Went ahead and spoofed 64 cores for the hell of it.

[FrameRate.Control]
OverrideCPUCoreCount=64
1 Like

So RT reflections are breaking down for me in a lot of places, look at this glowing mess

Hope that means the issue is resolved, including the potential consequences of such drama

Speaking of reflections, i’ve had such an annoying battle with SSR. After 20 or so hours of play, i finally decided to just leave it disabled. The grain it causes is super annoying, and can only be countered if set to the Psycho setting, but it drops the frame rate too hard.

Okay so I’ve spent some time trying to “fix” the black floor in 2077 and I think I have nailed it for all scenes. Levels worked well apart from night time scenes where the fine level for daytime = pitch black

Reshade, HDR10 (Reshade effects don’t work with HDR scRGB (849nits, 1.7 tone, 100nits UI), PD80_Curved_Levels:
27 Black Point
255 White
.75 Grey X
.775 Grey Y
.06 Toe Y
.153 Toe X

HDR Images, reveals an NPC but not really a spoiler

Thanks it looks much better but still crushes some detail in near black.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/564036055292968960/787481608101953576/VID_20201213_014913.mp4

Did some more testing, the engine caps out at ~28 threads.

My attempt to spoof the info:

12/13/2020 00:57:57.005: Allocating 52 extra CPU cores
12/13/2020 00:57:57.005: Returning 64 cores, 128 logical

Results in 28 worker threads. Which is still better than the original 11 workers, but it can’t be tricked into creating 64 or 128 workers :slight_smile:

dxgi.7z (7.6 MB)
dxgi.ini (750 Bytes)

Before

After

1 Like

Can’t see the file since I’m on my phone, so what I’m saying might not be relevant depending on your example.

The way the game tries to handle it’s lighting, along with having too many NPCs results in lots of areas being underexposed. Usually, games can address this by at least adding an artificial ambient light to NPCs to brighten them up a bit, but I guess the game was aiming for a more natural composition, which would’ve required more specific light placements to address this underexposure in areas where it’s needed, but that’s a lot of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5jC97Pt-W0

Lower the SDR/gamma slider value in the HDR widget.

That’s because you’re supposed to use scRGB Passthrough Mode.

Just turn on sRGB Gamma Bypass and set the Max Luminance Level / Paper White in SK’s widget to ~75. That will fix some of the problems, and you can always make minor corrections using the gamma slider.

But don’t turn the game’s HDR off and use SK’s instead, that’s not going to work.

I assume the user is going off of the reshade preset I posted earlier