Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Nothing appears pitch black for me: loading screens, menus, dark scenes… nothing.

Are you sure your desktop isn’t getting messed up? I have a pure black background and it’s very noticeable when Alt+Tabbing or after quitting the game completely. As I mentioned, everything only goes back to normal after disabling and re-enabling “Use HDR”.

First time I’m witnessing a game that does this to Windows even after it’s been closed. EA titles that use Frostbite are notorious for breaking HDR, but at least it only happens while they are still running.

Yep my windows looks fine after exiting the game.

Huh. What display are you using? And I assume you’re running Nvidia’s latest game ready drivers (460.79) on Win10 version 20H2?

LG CX and latest NVIDIA driver. RTX 3070. Dark scenes or menus will not show black, literally the only that will show black is black bars during loading screens.

Okay, so this may be an issue with the Nvidia drivers and the C9. It has happened before: a certain driver raised blacks for a particular OLED model, and was only fixed by Nvidia a couple of revisions later.

Kal apparently has both the C9 and CX, so he could test this for us.

P.S.: I tested two other HDR games (THPS and RE2R) and the same behavior occurs with these latest drivers. Goddammit, Nvidia, not again!

So is there a way to “fix” the black floor in 2077

Going to need bit more context…

Yeah, HDR implementation is borked in Cyberpunk. Spent most of last night trying to find a work around - ended up installing Reshade and setting the black levels there. Now HDR looks kinda right, true blacks and nice, popping neons. Still hope they fix it.

Just saw there’s also a video about it already: Cyberpunk 2077 HDR is Broken on PS5 & Xbox Series X Regardless of HDR Settings - YouTube

any info on how you did that :slight_smile:

You can probably do way better than using ReShade. The range of adjustment possible with Special K is enormous.

Version used in video:

SpecialK64.7z (7.6 MB)

I agree the HDR implementation is not good enough and the game suffers from these elevated blacks. With the caveat I want to look at a couple of scenes in SDR to see how the game is "meant"to look. Taking the ride with Dexter at night, it was so ugly to see the entire image swamped with grey.

@Kaldaien I’m a bit confused with the midpoint seeing in Cyberpunk, what’s a good spot to leave it at before messing around with specialk?

I have no idea WTF that setting is or does :slight_smile: Adjusting it doesn’t produce any different results. Games really need a menu system similar to SK’s if they’re going to throw these meaningless settings at users.

Real-time adjustment in an actual scene is the only way to figure out what that does… not the stupid static images they give you in the game’s settings.

1 Like

It’s quite likely that simply setting the Max / Paper White Luminance levels a little below 80.0 using scRGB Passthrough tonemap mode will correct the raised black level issues you are experiencing.

The slider doesn’t usually go below 80.0, so you’ll have to ctrl-click it and manually enter those values. I settled on 75.0.

In fact… just duplicate the settings shown in the video :wink:

It’s been more stripped out than Witcher 3 after the patches but if the dev console was restored it might be possible to adjust the HDR parameters more real-time for the game.

It’s a bit more like a script parser though and much of it’s been more carefully removed this time compared to Witcher 3 and all it’s little glitch videos and stuff that could be done. :stuck_out_tongue:

Some of the presets and settings can be manipulated from what I’ve gathered but otherwise it’s pretty blank until some of this can be restored.

Low, Medium, High, V.High, Ultra, Cinematic and then the console settings presets plus RTX/Ray Trace stuff a unpacker would be needed to see what these actually do same as with Watch_Dogs or any game really using presets for a bunch of stuff™ grouped settings ha ha.

Cleared Valhalla, next up Fenyx Rising and then something. :stuck_out_tongue:
Not bad but the epilogue kinda needed a epilogue to explain it a bit better even after doing everything else and give a better sense of closure but then that’s what the DLC will be doing because of course that’s a great idea there ha ha.

Might have a chance to get a decent GPU upgrade for when it’s time to get into Cyber Punk 2077 well eh possibly.
(3080Ti rumored for early 2021 now but all sorts of issues bundled one after another for availability and pricing so that’s going to be a months long issue.)

Games up there with Elyx in terms of jankiness though but should at least be better supported and less unstable even with graphical glitches and gameplay issues and all sorts of things.

Game itself looks good but needed more work, better than some other barely playable to downright unfinished game launches though so the delays helped although the devs are now going to be a bit overworked getting all this patched up and readying the PS5 and X Series versions and updates.

Will be interesting to see how the patches will change things up over the next couple of months plus what the additional content will be, Blood and Wine and Heart of Stone were excellent but will this be similar, hopefully!

EDIT: Elyx is also a few steps below games like Two Worlds or Gothic 3 the scale of jankiness is quite wide after all ha ha.
(Some of the games are also really good or strive to be more creative and immersive allowing much more freedom but the resources aren’t always enough so some bugs happen, or a lot of them at times.)

EDIT: More Yakuza.

Lol I agree the images in the settings show very little difference as you adjust the dials. Having multiple images go by in a slideshow you can’t control was a straight up idiotic move as well. In game I can tell lowering midpoint just further “crushes” colour towards that grey floor.

@Kaldaien With your settings do you have native HDR on or off? I’m assuming off?

I encourage all LG OLED owners facing the issue of raised black levels with HDR content on Nvidia’s 460.79 drivers to submit feedback to them providing all necessary info, so they can prioritize a fix.

Here’s a link to the Nvidia driver feedback form:

NVIDIA Display Driver Form - https://forms.gle/kJ9Bqcaicvjb82SdA

Woah, I wasn’t really aware, that HDR works for DX12 games now. Will test it, thanks!

Edit: Any way to run it in tandem with reshade? Would love to keep my lumasharpen, as the DLSS is making the game blurry.

Edit2: Game doesn’t launch when I try to restart it after enabling HDR in Special K :frowning:

Wonder if CyberPunk 2077 has some issues with it’s HDR implementation currently.

Via Guru3D something about SDR->HDR conversion and issues.

I’m not 100% on the tech here and implementation but that might be useful and thus the games HDR to off and using SpecialK for scRGB HDR could give better results although require a fair bit of more in-depth calibration via the SK HDR widget.

EDIT: Not 100% on what the PC version does for HDR either could have multiple implementations like AC Valhalla (There it’s FreeSync2 HDR and HDR10 as it’s supported by AMD, for NVIDIA I suppose you’d get NVAPI HDR and/or HDR10) or it could be just the standard Microsoft HDR10 one without the other implementation methods. :slight_smile:

Would be a bit interesting of XBox Auto HDR surpasses the games HDR implementation too as a result for the console version here.

Think Red Dead Redemption 2 on console (Unsure about the later PC port again.) had similar concerns but it got patched so there’s either a different method or users can choose the HDR variant depending on preference now.

EDIT: Hmm.