Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

That’s truly stupid. Use the desktop resolution / refresh.

:sigh: They’re going backwards.

1 Like

Did some reading but couldn’t find a good answer although I did find that some audio equipment had problems so I wonder if that’s also down to HDMI 2.1 or something else.

To the best of my knowledge it’s backwards compatible so it should fall back to 2.0(b) on earlier devices cable certification can be useful but quality wise it’s a digital package so it either sends or doesn’t send it’s all or nothing with this.

There’s still been issues with some of the Display Port and HDMI cables and how those were wired up and the pins and all that connected so it doesn’t rule it out entirely but if it works up to HDMI 2.1 standards it should be good even without the certification sticker and having gone through that testing and all.

EDIT: Certainly looks like I have a fair bit of reading up to do for the future display and TV updates with these standards and what might be initial flaws or hopefully resolvable by code updates to the firmware but it looks like there’s a few problems here and there currently.

Hard to pinpoint it too if it’s the display or another hardware component maybe the GPU for example.
AMD’s unified display engine change wasn’t without issue either for RDNA1 / Navi10 in how sensitive it could be losing display or glitching out.

Think there’s a few things with Ampere as well currently but NVIDIA is working on it.

EDIT: Nope what I was thinking of there was a audio receiver end issue not the GPU.

Less audio related too more about the device losing the signal entirely.

Yeah on a 2560x1440 display as a popular mid-ground alternative for years and then 3840x2160 getting more and more popular cutting refresh rate and resolution for whatever compatibility workaround that was implemented isn’t optimal.

Some other older games can have that issue where if you force a minimum resolution through SpecialK it has to be what the game expects and then reads the config file and sets to but for a newer title this isn’t normally a problem aside from a few JRPG’s or using a launcher first that type of thing.
(It’s either 1280x720 or more frequently 1920x1080 using 0x0 for minimum resolution override should also work in these cases.)

Wonder why it’s needed anyway the game should be 4k no issues at all console and PC certainly above 1920x1080@60 so that’s a weird change.

It wouldn’t be needed if they didn’t try to force fullscreen exclusive mode on. You’re not supposed to do that, you need a 15+ second confirmation screen in any software to ensure a mode change actually worked. It’s better not to make a mode change at all.

Why? That’s going to produce horrible results. DolbyVision is 4:2:0, but it’s for video playback. Video doesn’t have text UIs, games do.

More out of curiosity than anything else. And I don’t actually know what look for to see 4:2:0’s deficiencies so it’s the least impactful thing to downgrade in that respect.

Anyway, what happened was this: At first I was experiencing a slight audio delay and possibly additional input latency. But unlike my experiences yesterday it wasn’t getting worse over time. Then I restarted the TV, which predictably snapped things back into sync. Except now I’ve been playing for 2+ hours and it hasn’t desynced again!

So here’s me working theory: There are two seperate issues. The first issue is that changing an output setting in NVIDIA control panel might then require a TV restart to snap things back into sync. The second issue is that when using every single HDMI 2.1 function (4K120HZ 10 bit HDR, VRR, Full RGB/4:4:4) audio slowly desyncs over time. Not using any single one of these eliminates the issue. It could be the fault of LG, NVIDIA, or the cable. Or something else wrong with my setup.

I suppose I can try and bring this to the attention of people in the tech industry and simply wait for further HDMI 2.1 software updates, or try and find an officially certified 2.1 cable and see if that fixes it.

Thank you for your replies. I’ve also heard that HDMI being digital should simply “work” but it’s hard to say to what extent that’s true when you get things like HDMI flicker being reported. Actually my screen has flickered a couple of times tonight, maybe the cable really isn’t up to snuff despite being advertised as 48 GB/s.

I’ve never had any audio delay problems. As long as you use the built-in speakers, TVs tend to do a good job delaying the audio just the right amount to match the latency introduced by their video processing.

The second you use an A/V receiver, all bets are off and you have to learn to configure audio delays in the TV, in the A/V receiver, sometimes the source… it’s awful and not at all worth it unless you have a really good setup. Sound bars for example, are more hassle than they’re worth if you want audio to sync up meaningfully :slight_smile:

That problem has probably improved over the years, but here’s where stuff gets funny… on traditional TVs, there’s more latency if you feed them an RGB signal than there is YCbCr because TVs do image processing in a pipeline, they do like one conversion at a time and pass it to the next phase in the image processing chain. LG’s done a lot of work to eliminate that kind of nonsense thankfully.

Well as I said in my posts the problem is with the internal sound, albiet so far I’ve only been using it with headphones plugged into the tv and not the speakers themselves. And the audio desync is hard to track because it is extremely gradual and only really becomes obvious after an hour, and even then only if you know what you’re looking for. I’d say after an hour it gets maybe 400ms out of sync. It’s not due to normal image processing because it gets worse over time.

If you want to test it yourself, plug some headphones into your LG and leave a game running for an hour. Choose an input which elicits an immediate audio cue from the game. The TV has to be on the whole time, you could just set the backlight to 1 to avoid burn in. You need to be using 4K HDR, VRR, 120hz and full RGB. I’ve been playing a game locked to 60fps and no v sync in my test so do that as well. Turn the TV off and on at the beginning of the test so the AV sync is “fresh”.

After an hour use your chosen input and see if the audio cue feels delayed to you at all. Then turn the TV off an on and now see if it feels more responsive. That’s what I’m experiencing.

Any display that uses a backlight doesn’t have the possibility of burn-in.

Yes I’m just talking about my experience with the LG CX here, I thought you had a CX or a C9? Burn in is a possibility with them…

I have 3 C9s, a B8 and some curved model from 2015 (it has burn-in).

The only time burn-in has ever happened on an LG display for me is when its service menu was left on.

Pixel orbiting / logo illumination fix / ABL and auto-power-off generally make it impossible in all other situations, it’s only when you have the service menu open (e.g. during calibration) that this stuff disables itself.

I would agree with you that concerns about the burn in is with the newer OLED’s is pretty unwarranted, still I dim the backlight for desktop use or testing because it saves power if nothing else.

Let me know if you run my test as I described, I would be very interested to hear the results. The game I’m playing is Jedi: Fallen Order, the lightsaber activation sound plays immediately upon hitting the attack button and so it’s pretty obvious when somethings gone wrong after an hour and the audio’s lagged behind.

Apparently I cannot run that test :frowning:

If I try to download it, it tells me I need to download it. Brilliant software.

Lol. That’s ok, just use any game with an audio cue that maps to an action. Gun shots etc.

Hmm, not sure if Yakuza Like A Dragon has Duelsense Support. It came out before PS5 did and controllers. So it hasn’t had any update till very recently. But to be clear I’ve only tested YLAD game so far.

I am forcing PS5 controller in the game I believe in steam options of game properties tab.

That’s because you have the Steam copy, I would imagine. You need to start the download from Steam.

Initially Origin allowed Steam games to be downloaded through their client as well, but they removed that ability a few months after the release of Fallen Order.

Steam just downloads Origin, then Origin tells me I need to install the game. I don’t have any escape from this stupidity :-\

Hmm, I ran into something similar once, but a full uninstall/reinstall through Steam luckily fixed it for me.

It has to do with the damn Steam-Origin integration which seems to rely on one of the prerequisites that gets run after a game have finished installing by Steam.

Unfortunately not :frowning: Wishing an HFR release will come soon, but I wouldn’t bet on it.