Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Should be better than the EU situation at least.

Some harbor restrictions and delays, increased shipping costs and the bigger Nordic hardware retailer I think Komplett(DK,NO or SE) said something yesterday with hoping to have the hardware shortage improved by June 2021 so yeah.

From what I hear the back-order situation on 3080’s in the UK is over 1000 cards (EDIT: SCAN I think.) with a weekly incoming shipment of 20 at most and the 5000 series CPU’s are in short supply in most of the EU.
(Bigger markets like Germany barely got any 6800XT’s but this time for the AIB ones some of the larger US ones also barely received anything.)

I see Yeston has a design for the 6800XT for December though import costs would run over 1000 Euro total so nope. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Although the custom 6800XT’s are closing in on 800 Euro already or more plus then there’s VAT and shipping costs and such on that.)

Would be nice with a Sapphire 6800 XT Pulse as a replacement, suppose the 3080 variant would be EVGA something but availability until Spring 2021 will be non-existent or incredibly low from all sources as how it’s currently looking at.

Some incoming hardware for December but it’s going to go fast.

So being a Sony Controller fan and seeing that Steam is now supporting PS5 controller functions I had to get the damn controller. I will not most likely get the console itself but this type of controller is one of my all time favorites now even more so with the added vibration advanced functions.

Screenshot_1952

Edit: had to buy some Type-C USB cables lol. The damn controller doesn’t come with one but I usually get a 10FT cable since my pc is pretty much on floor and I run cable thru my desk thru one of the Ports for cables to go thru.

:sob: :sob: :sob:

Edit: Ah, it was made in regards to the AMD cards — not the Nvidia cards.

So… maybe there’s a chance!

Good news is, you only need 1 Type-C cable and it’s good for this lifetime and any future reincarnation. Unlike Micro USB, which is good for 5-10 minutes depending on the weather on the side of Phobos facing Mars at the time of purchase.

Well I got pack of 3 at 10FT so who knows what I would need the other cables for. I know android phones and I think certain iPhones now use Type C USB cable?

They’re so versatile and durable, you can just plug and unplug the same cable for all your devices. You really only need one USB-C cable. USB-C is awesome, it’s like the complete opposite of Micro USB.

That’s good b/c I feel like Micro USB cables would get loose over time after unplugging and plugging back into controller. Hell they get loose when just simply connected. lol. The PS2 Controller cables were even worse. I think they were a bigger version than Micro USB?

Mini USB was awesome, I have a 20 foot Mini USB cable that I’ve been using for 15 years now. Basically, USB worked fine in the days of USB-A, Mini USB, then we got the dark ages with Micro USB, and then we went back to USB that doesn’t suck with USB-C.

USB-C really changed the game … the only one that dont want to change that is Apple on they iPhones -_-

Well AC Valhalla got some fixes. Some things were apparently not showing correctly like shadows on high preset.

1 Like

HDR’s still broken. Seems it’s even more broken now than before they patched it. The game doesn’t turn on HDR until you open the settings menu in a lot of cases.

• Regular brightness settings will no longer apply to HDR exposure settings.

That is at least an improvement, even if the game forgets to turn HDR on :stuck_out_tongue:

Can anyone help me, Ive been having and issue with nvidia for months now. Nvdia control panel doesnt launch or it takes like 5 minutes to appear. Its just stuck in task manager.
Already tried several drivers clean install with DDU. Windows 10 pro

Tried with Defender deactivated in case that’s halting it for a while or other anti virus software?
Other than that latest driver version, dependencies like the newest Visual C runtime and that’s about all that should be needed.

There’s the DCH driver but AMD and NVIDIA handles some of the packages differently so for NVIDIA I think you end up with the Windows Store variant of NVCP and for AMD at least while they have the classic control panel software with the DCH driver the OEM store settings software is slimmed down which while it removes some extras that I’d like to see made modular eventually it also reduces functionality that can be really useful like Wattman. (When it’s working and not being WattTFMan.)

For OS versions I like being on the latest so 19042 although 19041 should be just fine and the latest cumulative is shared anyway with the various fixes but with the features of the newer build inactive.

Process Monitor or similar could also check what it’s doing but I think it’s held up for a while, might also check into slimming out the optional components but this has to be done carefully so you don’t remove semi-optional but actually used components of the NVIDIA control panel.
(There’s a whole bunch of side software and services some of them aren’t required but some of it will break functionality if removed.)

EDIT: For AMD there’s also the new bios updates with AGESA 1.1.0.0 and various issues and the even newer 1.1.8.0 and other issues along with AMD’s ABL (AGESA Boot Loader) and several fixes to memory compatibility especially higher XMP settings and infinity fabric and fclck values.

You should get a bunch of Windows Event Logger hardware errors code oh what was it 18 or 17 or something indicating small recoverable memory errors if that’s a thing occasional in-game issues depending on sensitivity and such stuff.
(This sounds different from that however, much as it can be a issue this sounds like something else.)

And from the OS and updates you get memory leak fixes and things like that, cumulative should be out in ~2 weeks and a few days so the 19041/19042.662 insider preview update and fixes should be applied by then but there’s nothing too critical and all the fun and possibly breaking changes are coming with the next build soon to enter slow ring / beta ring testing.
(Dev/fast ring build deployment likely won’t slow down until it’s close to finalized and they start making updates for it instead of new builds even as features are finalized and it’s down to bug fixing and testing only.)

EDIT: New NVIDIA driver should also be out soon wonder if that will be 458.xx and then there’s the test 460.xx drivers but that’s development focused on newer Windows 10 builds and the Windows Subsystem Linux routine with WDDM 2.8 and I think 2.9

Awesome… I just heard this on the radio and thought it sounded suspiciously like System of a Down, but thought that’s impossible.

15 years it’s been since they released anything, jeeze.

Uhh… wasn’t part of the point of DCH separating the control application from the drivers and ship it through the store instead? Why would AMD not do that?

Think it’s optional for how some of these “packages” can be side loaded or how it’s called though they do respect part of the criteria and changing the file locations and such but you still get a lot in the C:\Program Files\ folder from how it handles the extras bundled in.

The overhaul Microsoft is doing might make the criteria a bit stricter, NVIDIA is also using a split driver release whereas AMD’s includes both and since Redstone 3 the Unified / DCH model is picked by default.

Comparing the INF’s there’s a few differences but component wise the only bit skipped over is the True Audio related component rest is just handled.

So effectively you’re on the regular driver or the DCH driver but it really only affects where in the Windows folder some of the drivers and services end up.
(Some other services still end up in the Program Files folder too for some reason.)

20.11.1 or if it was 20.11.2 finally cleaned up the Program Files (x86) 32-bit legacy components of Radeon Settings though I don’t believe everything carried over into the new control panel so now a few settings are just gone instead.

EDIT: Also 20.11.2 on has a USB filter driver for the 6000 series (LED) but it’s jammed in there regardless of the users GPU (Though it can then be PNPUtil.exe handled and cleaned out because it’s not really doing anything on non-6000 series GPU’s.) so the USB HUB is going to have a little moment when installing these.

Any older USB storage devices should probably be stopped/safely removed first but besides that it’s just the mouse, keyboard maybe the gamepad having a little time rebooting where input is stopped for a few seconds.

Let me know if it’s worth getting for the HD vibration. I’m still waiting to get paid so i can pick one up (whenever they’re in stock).

Question is if that feature is even properly possible to use on PCs. Historically, those sorts of features have seen minimal adoption rates among devs. Even the impulse triggers of Xbox One has like less than 1% adoption rate.

All Batman games are now on GOG.com

Amazing!

I read somewhere (cba checking where) that Steam added rumble support in the form of audio conversion, which is basically what i wanted, assuming it’s a good idea in practice.