Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

I want the 6900 XT, not one of those toys :stuck_out_tongue:

I miss the days when ATi had a developer relation program that offered 30% off hardware. Of course, the only reason that worked, was because ATi was the exclusive manufacturer of ATi cards back then :slight_smile: But they would treat this the right way, and I’d have no trouble getting my hands on a card as a registered developer.

1 Like

Well… Hmm… ResetEra have historically been featured as a place where moderation goes to die, and users are banned for minute things.

Perhaps that’s a slanted view though…?

:conwayshrug:

3 Likes

Whatever they’re doing, it’s working. I haven’t encountered any of the behavior you see on a daily basis on the Steam forums. It’s been a real pleasure over there.

1 Like

This doesn’t look as appealing as it once did…

http://104.131.37.129/en/home

My Wiki.js abomination :slight_smile:

Lotta learning to do to make that a viable place to find information :frowning: I’d rather spend my time coding, dammit.

Might as well get users to start creating accounts there, we’ll have to figure it all out as we go :slight_smile: Eventually it has potential, right now I’m just not in the mood to learn this stuff.

Some of the ban reasons can be a bit vague or odd but I think it was worse before and they have since changed several of the moderators and other staff positions but between being heavy handed and doing nothing well it does work and it’s handled by humans not some automated weighted system like what Steam does when you get various warns or infractions which can also be due to piling on reports from multiple users without sufficient moderator review.

There’s not much else that works well, SA tried a paid entry fee but the admin had issues that came and went what little I am aware of this and then that escalated quickly.

Steam it seems is tied up with this API stuff in everything plus the massive player / community base and limited moderator interaction or staff support if you do get hit by anything like that Ubisoft incident which far as I recall you had no way to resolve it just went back and forth between Valve and Ubisoft without a proper discussion or investigation into this and then the other problems and such after that.

EDIT:
There’s no simple solution or how my poor attempts at explaining or describing stuff works at least, nice to get away from the Steam forums though I suppose if nothing else and how chaotic that could be for some of the SpecialK topics.

Possibly Valve too and the Steam version useful as some of it’s functionality might have been for back-end and all that stuff.

EDIT:
Still weird how it’s all open source reviewed and covered and getting the OK and then as it’s progressing well suddenly that decision got changed, should have been handled a lot smoother and much faster in the initial review phase I’d think.

It’s all there and much of it’s commented and described so it shouldn’t have been any problems at all reviewing and working out potential conflicts of interest ahead of the go-ahead and greenlighting the program.

EDIT: And a bit of a 180 turn and a newer NVIDIA WSL2 driver is out.

Neat.

Those are development focused but it’s interesting to see, might be based on the newer branch and code from the 457.xx drivers then whatever the branch in there actually is.

Yeah, the stuff I’ve seen from there is actually insane, from both users and mods, the smallest thing will get a ban because mods don’t like it, while people can drop the hard r N word about someone because that person has a different political opinion and not even get a warning.

Boletaria or perhaps more so the Nexus sounds like it’s going to be a nice place for self-reflection once that’s ported. :stuck_out_tongue:

Or what else they could do, shadows when it’s all dark and bleak might not be too big of a thing in terms of visual factor ha ha.

EDIT: Making that giant knight boss reflective would be a interesting thing, guessing it’s going to be puddles and stuff like that though not knights in super-shiny wax-polished armor. :smiley:

Whenever this happens, year or so at the minimum plus there’s no word on the other titles already getting work done so 2021 could be a interesting little year for Sony’s PC efforts and how this all turns out.

Meh, formatting sucks in Wiki.js…

http://wiki.special-k.info/en/hdr/Calibration

I may just scrap the whole thing and look for a different solution. I have more powerful formatting at my disposal in these forums, ROTFLMAO.

The only thing I like about the Wiki is the navigation… that’s something I cannot accomplish w/ these forums. Guess it’s time to keep looking for some better Wiki software.

I’m thinking of using MediaWiki instead. It’s not directly supported by Linode or Digital Ocean, but just needs MySQL and it’s good to go. I at least know it’s capable of formatting blocks of code. It’s pretty much a non-starter if any documentation hosting software cannot format code separate from text.

@Aemony: I seem to recall you saying MediaWiki was difficult to work with at one point? Was that because of the scale of PCGamingWiki, or something else? It really looks like the most appropriate software for SK’s own Wiki.

@Kaldaien what’s the appropriate term for the codes you scroll through in the Shader and Texture windows?

That would be hash

Do you know of a game that includes all the shader subsections in the shader window (pixel, geometry, hull, compute)? Would be useful for the Render Toolkit guide.

Anything with tessellation for that last group, Assassin’s Creed Origins for example as Anvil Next (V2.0?) uses a lot of compute heavy shaders but modifying any of these can give quite a driver response.

WTF? Someone’s rick-rolling my HTTP server.

1 Like

That’s weird you’re supposed to DDoS it not RRoD it that’s a XBox thing.
(Rick-Roll on Device or what it was…)

Does AC:O cover all these shader groups at once? I’m hoping for a game that does that, if possible.

Yep pretty much certain it does.

Pixel, Vertex, Compute and then Domain and Hull are together for tessellation.

Hmm but is geometry part of it that’s a good question I’ve mostly seen that used for some D3D10 titles like the “fuss” effect in Lost Planet or some effects in Crysis think motion blurs enhanced by it.
(Several of them disabled by default think it’s GS_ parameters for things like shadows and what not if using the command console.)

EDIT: Metro 2034 / Last Light perhaps could be better then D3D11 with most of this.
Lost Planet 2 but no that’s GFWL I believe I’m not sure how well that works.

Hmm.

EDIT: Maybe some simple benchmark software would be easier still…does SpecialK use geometry shaders at all come to think of it?

Thanks, will download it later.

Had to edit it a bit because the geometry shader gives me a bit of doubt now, compute as a programmable shader sorta overtook it to what I recall after D3D10 which SpecialK doesn’t support though geometry shaders aren’t gone or anything but I’m trying to remember if I’ve ever seen it or if SpecialK has full support for this shader type in the first place.

D3D12’s going to introduce this mesh shader as a upgrade of the compute shader as well but not yet and requiring a full replacement of the earlier types would mean solely developing for D3D12_2 so that’s a while off, years at least.

I only recall it used in some earlier D3D10 titles showcasing “motion” for lack of better word so motion blur, fuss fur like simulation and so on it doesn’t seem to be the most common effect of these various groups but I may be overlooking entirely different implementations or early stage D3D11.0 or maybe 11.1 API situations before newer games and game engines got into compute shading more.