Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Oh, by the way…

I am thinking of building my originally planned Workshop functionality using my GitLab server :slight_smile:

https://gitlab.special-k.info/kontent

It solves most of the same problems Steam Workshop would have, I just need to build a tool to hide the fact that it’s using something designed for source code to store art assets :slight_smile:

They are funding several developments directly and are still doing these frequent giveaways which has trained their customer base to just wait and grab for free which devalues the properties a bit too.

Customer wise though free is free, there’s a fair amount of people who utilize the client just for that although there’s in turn a lot of users who love Epic Games and only see the short of it like this 12% cut thing as a huge deal for the developers when there’s much more to it.

Think it’s monthly now for that and they have more lined up, company is worth some 17 billion as of recent figures I think it was although a big part of it is Fortnite and I assume the engine itself as for licensing for third party usage.

Store is getting some features too but still needs work last I read up on it, lots of things being updated manually as well but it has improved since launch and more features are landing and being implemented.

EDIT: Though FOMO or “Fear of missing out” is also a thing, EA and Ubisoft and a few others regularly doing 20 - 30% discounts on their titles as early as a few months after release but with enough pre-order incentives and other bonuses plus the focus on a service model and online where initial sales on PC and console are still breaking record sales.

Steam is a proper gaming platform and a shit forum experience.
Epic (still) is a shit gaming plataform (the client takes forever to load) and has no forum at all (to be shit with).

I understand @Kal stance on steam, i would do the same. But i don’t think there is a forum in the internet that wouldn’t be weaponized against him by trolls besides the one of his own making .

:^)

top review ayyy oooo

1 Like

Why not go with 16-bit floating point overall and then the display and GPU drivers and capabilities and settings will see it at 12, 10 or 8-bit isn’t that sorta what SpecialK 16-bit scRGB HDR is doing?

Suppose outside of a third party fix it’s going to be up to err Sony I guess to fund the support for additional patches and such and what that might resolve, looks like AMD also hype up some of the features though some stuff like TressFX would already be in the console version.

Reliance on async compute as well, learned that AMD apparently bonkered this too as of the 2020 Adrenaline drivers and there’s a high chance of a performance drop on Polaris GPU’s now if that’s enabled (Or enabled and can’t be toggled off.) which is another unfixed issue.

One of the few titles that also scales upwards of 12 cores though the testing I saw was done with a hexa core with SMT so 6+6 not purely 12 physical cores.

Suppose that matters little though when the framerate and stability overall is “inconsistent” to sum up the port issues with the current version of the game.

Also for general software the Visual C 2019 runtime got updated.

14.28.xx up from 14.27.xx so a more major version number bump although it might still be minor changes overall though perhaps a bit more than mere security improvements or “smaller” things of that nature.

.NET Core 5.0 is finalizing so maybe tying it to this for the various RC builds coming out, thought it would replace 4.0 entirely but it just replaces and differentiates itself from the current .NET Core runtime so the prior model of 4.8.x something (?) will still continue to get updated.

Windows SDK updates as well for release alongside the development builds of Windows10 itself on the dev channel but then Microsoft could have development oriented VC++ SDK’s and what not separately from the main software and these runtime installers. :slight_smile:

As to other software Asus put together some new AMD motherboard bios updates including yet another new AGESA firmware/code bundle so it’s up to 1.0.0.8 / 1.0.8.0 over 1.0.0.6 / 1.0.6.0 now.
(Still little in the way of changelogs though, lots of these focus on stability and improving things like DDR4 RAM compatibility and XMP by providing better secondary and tertiary timings as the stock info can be very limited on-chip.)

EDIT: And outside of a installer bundle the Github repository also maintains direct links to these versions.

https://download.visualstudio.microsoft.com/download/pr/28bd19d3-af87-4c4e-859f-8a656db29219/9838775699DFCEFC83BD8B6FE9862E16A12E0CD3C707B7DBA6FF83388D90C488/VC_redist.x64.exe
https://download.visualstudio.microsoft.com/download/pr/6b03c53c-e1f7-4ac0-8e82-a771ef1d6374/7E491DDBCD2DCC25B6038994372A7EE8E15B8771519A09879E2317C35542EB50/VC_redist.x86.exe
https://download.visualstudio.microsoft.com/download/pr/28bd19d3-af87-4c4e-859f-8a656db29219/2864526FAE9AEECE0A877E50B169A188A029058B21A64F5F27429B5D03AD0010/VC_redist.arm64.exe

32 and 64 bit plus one for ARM.

Uh,

I don’t remember writing any Pascal code at any point this century :slight_smile:

Interestingly, Delphi (object-oriented Pascal) is still kicking around on Mac. Programming languages never die with dignity it seems, they just get some new fad tacked onto them and live forever.

If I was supposed to be keeping a low profile until figuring out why my ban was lifted with no information given, I guess I did the opposite?

That review went viral, usually they just go out to a few developer friends, and so I didn’t make any attempt to make that readable to the layman. Then I go and augment the review with information that normal people could actually use, and bam, {Link Removed} :-1:

Hope that does not mean differentk.fyi / special-k.info are considered malicious websites for all eternity. I would not put it past the Reddit trolls to do something like that.

Maybe change the links to (for example) “differentk(dot)fyi” or something? - just so it’s no longer a link according to Steam. I don’t know if that’s against Steam rules though.

Avoiding the word and link filter is against the rules, yes.

… I really hope not, as that would be a new low that makes no sense at all. Hopefully it’s just Guerilla Games/Sony that have flagged the review or something that causes the links to be removed.

If it is not already, they will make a rule and give it my name.

Maybe it would help to only share one of the domains? Assuming that means the other can’t get flagged.

You shouldn’t be fixing Steam games duh, you’re making Steam look bad :eyes:

Wow that’s a pretty toxic comment section in your review. Funny to think there’s those who believe the game works for them so it automatically has to work for everyone :man_shrugging: though i believe at least some of them are lying about the game running so well for them.

It’s really sad to see steam removing blender’s links and when I post about it in reddit, it gets flagged!

I think Epic games could use these lazy mod moments as a stepping stone. If they REALLY care about being the number 1 store.

Edit: lol just saw this:

steam… steam…

I can actually understand Valve taking precautions here, who knows how many random links get shared around, but then they already have the “ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO GO ON AN EXTERNAL SITE” disclaimer :confused:

If they are flagging the link though, then yeah that’s stupid af. Imo, secure sites should all be shareable but with that disclaimer added.

I saw someone mentioned that your review was top one lol. That’s funny though. I can link your website just fine actually in forums. In Horizon one I mean.

Yeah you may want to avoid trying to post non-URL’s as that might be seen as circumventing some of the Steam rules and could get the entire review in problem if it does get flagged, unsure about commentary with URL’s for said review although I can see that being problematic as well unless posted early as a addendum to the URL itself as that can also lead to reports but those would be for not just the review but the account itself.

Plenty of weird comments on the review itself though that could easily pass for personal attacks, spoilers on the game and just trolling but other than reporting them again you might want to be very careful with trying to engage in discussions since those posts then makes reporting possible and the system is kinda skewed.

Just try to avoid problems, however that’s going to be possible or work but hopefully it does sort out in the end without too many problems.

EDIT: Err spacing and such to break the URL to a non-hyperlink comment and that sort of thing I mean.

Other users, Sony or dev reps and what not that could flag comments or the review itself and if it gets some heated user commentary (Which has already happened.) there’s a chance moderators will be checking it up a bit now and again whatever reports turn up as the commentary goes from more civil to something decidedly less civil.

Yeah, you are better off unsubscribing from the comments section, or you may be hit with a major spoiler eventually.

Something you see with a lot of commentary or even video and tech stuff on games if it’s not pre-release streams or other articles, no idea how Valve handles it but some sites takes it pretty seriously and in other cases you get major story spoilers or full summaries and key details and nothing’s done about it.

There’s one of those already in the review, I knew about the game details but many others would not so that’s a good advise in general to avoid such spoilers.

Videos get even worse when key moments are thumbnailed and whatever else might happen.

EDIT: Oh yeah that still turns into five sugar cubes.