Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

I’m really sorry, but I am not equipped to debug problems in D3D12 games at the moment :frowning: Special K barely supports D3D12, I have plans to officially support D3D12 in 2021.

I have tried the global injector frontent 0.7.1.3 with the same result the game loads an start and i heard a sound and closes.

I can try to provide a log file - which could you see? I’m having the same issue - DLL and INI are in the root directory, crash after the initial splash screen.

logs/modules.log, logs/crash.log, logs/dxgi.log

Ghetto SK Auto-HDR Remastering YouTube Videos :wink:

If I could find a higher quality source for this music video, I’d be in heaven. It really is the perfect video to test out SDR → HDR video processing in, if you can get rid of all the damn artifacts YouTube added. Results are surprisingly good for SDR → HDR video in actual 1080p or 4K video content, so who knows, maybe I’ll seriously pursue this someday.

I hope this helps. I’m too new to attach this in a message, so here are links.

crash.log - Crash.Log - Pastebin.com

dxgi.log - dxgi.log - Pastebin.com

modules.log - modules.log - Pastebin.com

Have you changed the way HDR processing is done? I just tried the newest version you posted here in The Division, it completely fixed all black crush issues, but the effect looks super subdued in comparison even after messing around with settings. Colors also seem different.

Does this new version retain the same calibration process for HGIG displays? Also, got a 32bit version?

Thanks.

Video unavailable

This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

:expressionless:

I’m glad VPN is a thing :hugs:

I am going to need an explanation as to why Kaldaien prefers scRGB over nvAPI or HDR10. In fact, what even is scRGB?

I may be the sole weirdo here by saying this, but it is quite strange from my POV to prefer a system that I personally haven’t heard of, over some well-established standards. I have already explained a while ago an example of where that kind of mindset does not work (NVidia driver/software solutions versus Radeon’s half-assed equivalents). If he is talking about it in a purely programmer/modder point of view, then fair enough, but the games were built for different types of gamer audiences.

Was Horizon ZD ever fixed? Or should i still steer clear for a bit longer?

I didn’t got to play it after reaching the end. But i read on some patch notes that they optimized and fixed a lot of stuffs, including: correct AF and the shader compiler optimization.

scRGB is a color space, it’s wide enough to cover the entire spectrum of colors visible to humans plus another 80% of colors that are imaginary (lol). It’s hard to wrap your head around scRGB at first, it’s not a signal standard, it’s a format for rendering (16-bit, as opposed to signals being 10-bit or 12-bit).

It exceeds the capabilities of all current and future signal standards (since why would there ever be a signal standard that needs to carry imaginary colors?). So it’s the spitting image of future proof. Write your software once to render into scRGB and then reap the benefits 15 years from now when something 2x as good as Dolby Vision is available and scRGB is still way more powerful than that signal requires :slight_smile:

As for NvAPI… screw it, any game that uses it for HDR has an expiry date, without fail they all stop working over time and the developer never comes back to patch their game that used to work in HDR but no longer does. DXGI doesn’t have that problem.

So, 2 for 2 here… DXGI and scRGB are future-proof, those other things are not.

Kal does a sweet spot exist for Unreal Engine 4 games? Revisited Ark after some years, which still stutters after many updates. Tried pushing the backbuffer count, and even tested flip model but the game seems impossible to get running smoothly. I don’t actually care for the game or need it running well, i was just testing around and wanted to know if this is normal since it’s Unreal Engine 4.

Notably, there’s consistent stutters even when the framepacing graph is smooth. I verified this by connecting my controller to test camera movement, and it stutters periodically.

I’ve never played the game myself, but I hear that’s more of an indication that Ark gets progressively worse with each patch than anything to do with Unreal Engine. UE’s rule of thumb is the same as any other engine, really. Turn on flip model and you’re done in 99% of cases. Backbuffers offer diminishing returns and probably won’t even put a dent in that game’s problems.

I’ve heard Ark is still really unoptimized in places.

In general, I don’t have many issues with UE4 games myself.

I looked up scRGB, and it is a very weird triangle. I assume that the reason that it overlaps a large volume of imaginary colours and ignores a portion of the most intense greens, is so that it can align with the sRGB colour map, including 6500K white.

It looks like the kind of colour space designed for those full-spectrum cameras. Infrared exceeds CIE red, and UV exceeds CIE blue a little bit.

Forgive my eccentric tastes, but I really want a special monitor that can accept values of near-infrared and UV-A, totaling 1 trillion colours in 8-bit, 1.125 quadrillion in 10-bit, 1.1 quintilion in 12-bit, and finally 1.2 septillion in 16-bit. Now you may be asking; how are you supposed to display colours that humans cannot see? You can use power states of UV and infrared LEDs (yes, they both exist). And you can represent the colours visually via intensifying the red/purple colours via “doubling” the subpixels.

Are you secretly a mosquito? Human vision isn’t enough for you? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, scRGB was a hack designed to encompass all possible gamuts while maintaining the same color primaries as sRGB. That has a wonderful property for HDR, where scaling the luminance level of any color given to you in terms of sRGB/Rec709 is as simple as multiplying the individual color components.

(i.e. want a red pixel 3x as bright as you were given in Rec 709? Multiply each color channel by 3, presto(!))

What do you guys suppose the odds of throwing an RTX 2080 Ti and RX 6900 XT in the same system and having them work are? :slight_smile:

I am tempted to build one uber development machine with each vendor’s GPU so I can continue testing NVIDIA bugs after I transcend to the promised land :: ( AMD / AMD ).

Obviously getting games to run on a specific GPU is a bit of a challenge, but I can write software to assist with that.