Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Curious the two should be almost identical other than Microsoft recommendations (And some upcoming later changes.) to install procedures and how it’s packed and which files end up where.

AMD bundles both in together (U*.inf against C*.INF which I’ve taken to call universal and classic.) so on new systems from Windows 10 Redstone 3 and on it defaults to the U / DCH variant.

Doesn’t change too much though a few optional components are skipped over and the standard control panel is still installed rather than registering a UWP variant through the app store although AMD’s is a light variant missing a few settings so that could b why they’re doing the classic software for this component.

Content wise and all that it should be identical same stuff just packaged differently to be compliant with the guidelines Microsoft have, mostly. :smiley:

Interesting discovery there, wonder if that’s something the game is doing weirdly but if so what might that be?

EDIT: DCH is also changing but it’s not happening just yet.

And I did hear the control panel has a chance to be removed in the 2021 builds now and it looks like nowhere near everything has been migrated over to the settings app yet or from what it’s looking like may not be before it’s removal.
(I like the control panel and stuff better so that’s a loss.)

I don’t know to be honest. It was the first time I’ve ever had crashes in FFXIV. One other odd thing I noticed, and I haven’t tested this with the Standard driver, but WoW would periodically minimize itself and then restore itself like a second later. It was, very, very infrequently though. I should try it out. It made me think that maybe something in the driver was crashing, something minor not a full crash. And WoW happened to recover gracefully, while FFXIV didn’t.

One thing I noticed about FFXIV was if anything was injecting (so SpecialK or some of the ingame overlay specific to FFXIV that I was testing out), it crashed a lot quicker. FFXIV has always been a bit picky with my system. I’ve always had weird blue dots flash on my screen, normally around light sources, and the only way to get rid of them was underclocking my memory by at least -75. I later found out it was tied to the Glare setting, as turning it off got rid of the problem too, and I can even overclock my GPU Memory. My laptop, also Nvidia, didn’t have that issue, and my laptop also uses the DCH driver (has had it from the get go) with no issues. So it might be some quirk of my specific card tbh.

Some games or software can be really problematic and the OS also has it’s own preferred recommended ways of dealing with things and how it handles legacy methods.

Static linking or paths to certain files or folders and permissions or not supporting certain functions like longer paths, specific characters and so on. :smiley:

General hardware sensitivity can be a fun one too since benchmark software can have very complicated profiles and almost throttle or limit the GPU’s performance in some cases and then now there’s also sensitivity through RAM and the infinity fabric or PCI Express bridge on newer AMD systems which may seem like GPU or driver crashes at first but the core cause could be from the motherboard or CPU side when tracked down.

Benchmark suites like OCCT running stable for the full hour length and then the game might be hitting a error within 5 - 15 minutes because it’s a lot more random or absolutely hammers some data path or specific set of instructions.

Or a combination of some or all of these together with possible driver or game bugs some broken or non-standard shader is pushing the system a bit harder and then it could be running fine but then with even a factory overclock it goes over to unstable instead.
Really complicates things when it’s the XMP since that’s often seen as a feature not a overclock even at higher settings or pushing the timings to their limits. :smiley:

MMO games tend to generally be really good at figuring out stability although unfortunately there are also game and driver bug possibilities or older games could have a lot of legacy code and baggage from years of development.

Never really easy for the end user to figure out what’s what and if it resolved the issue or if lower some settings or toggling certain effects maybe tuning down clock speeds even with a supposed stable factory applied boost actually worked or if it merely bypassed the issue for a while.

Could imagine something like the compute shader issues in Nier Automata qualifying here often it works well enough but then any number of conditions might hit that TDR and the driver having to recover plenty of cases like that with some of the DXVK compatibility fixes and known issues going above the max expected runtime or instruction count or size or how to call it for some games.

Online games and a MMO would then also hit CPU and RAM pretty well and some GPU’s might also load more through the PCI Express bus and data for that or certain instruction sets and what not just are far more prone to errors or sensitive to what would otherwise be recoverable and corrected automatically. :smiley:

EDIT: It can be a real mess effectively, some of the compatibility driver profiles for D3D12 and Vulkan must be pretty involved and complex for a few of these new issues as developers get further control over things but even with better tools and error handling and tracking there’s also a bigger chance of really messing up or causing some serious errors if going by some non standard practices or other issues and errors.

Well not like that’s saying anything new, never going to know but there must be some really fascinating stories around some of these fixes or compatibility flags or workarounds or replacement shader data and whatever else goes in there just for GPU profiles and these drivers.

So I didn’t realize some Youtuber’s get games so early and are allowed to release footage of game early. I guess there isn’t a review embargo on AC Valhalla. Considering this video linked is gameplay of prologue and is walkthrough or start of one.

Looks like NVIDIA is accountable after all, just horrifically slow at getting HW manufactured :wink:

Hey, long time! :smiley: We finally got some LDATs in and I’ve asked the person responsible to submit the shipment request.

By the time I get this thing, I’ll probably be running an AMD GPU, lol. Thankfully it’s HW agnostic, but there’s something funny about getting HW like this for free from a GPU vendor and then turning around and buying the competitor’s GPU. I’ve thrown enough money in their face over the years buying GeForce {G|R}TX xy80 Ti GPUs though, that I don’t care.

1 Like

That’s a horrible thing to put in release notes. Either that’s some kind of platform feature with that name, or they’re being very short sighted. Like calling HDR “infinite range.”

Shame it couldn’t be YCbCr 4:4:4. If the driver automatically selected that for me, I’d be very happy :slight_smile:

RGB has to be converted to YCbCr for image processing and then back to RGB on TVs. On monitors, YCbCr tends to have different gamma response even though it is not supposed to (ASUS even left that in the PG27UQ as a feature). RGB’s bad across the board.

Hmm the FPS limiter in Valhalla caps at 90 FPS, curious choice.
Thought it had a D3D11 → D3D12 toggle too but maybe you have to use -D3D11 or similar and it auto detects and uses the highest available otherwise.

Otherwise not much to say, runs well and as usual it’s quite demanding though toggling down the volumetric cloud options should work and it seems the high anti-aliasing option is a bit more demanding than before.

Lengthy prologue section, only really cleared up that Vikings can’t sing very well before having to take a pause ha ha. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Update Tuesday today too should see some fixes for Windows 10 again, I see Microsoft is quite active already because opening the settings app and update page it ignores user settings and starts scanning on it’s own, weird change. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice.

(Via Reset Era. Sega to Release More in Back Catalog of Atlus Games as Remasters and Remakes Thanks to Persona 4 Golden Steam Success | ResetEra )

Seems Assassin’s Creed Valhalla utilizes DXGI Debug Interface1 as well, popping up a error message about that when trying to utilize SpecialK think there’s a few of these not sure how it’s supported in SK and if it’s the game or just something else interfering here.

EDIT: D3D12SerializeRootSignature too, interesting.

EDIT: Temperature sensor having fun too it seems.

F1 for stats, not too bad pretty detailed for what it is.

I doubt that Kal would ever be able to get SK working with DX12 and Vulkan. That’s probably way beyond his capabilities. I dare him to do it - in fact, I double dare him!

1 Like

Streamers got early access to play the prologue last Friday, I believe. The NDA on the rest of the game opened up at 6am EST yesterday (Monday). So, that bit of footage is nothing really. Heck if a youtuber got access they could uploaded a full playthrough by now, assuming they were no lifing it. However, it is quite buggy. The one streamer I was watching got hard locked. Came out of a cutscene to be stuck in place and couldn’t do anything. Even reloading older saves had the same result. He just gave up and went to play something else.

Cross-posting here:

Yeah the game is quite prone to glitches, no stability issues so far but plenty of small problems even in the very scripted and controlled prologue area of the game.

Some NPC’s weren’t cleaned up so mid-fight they’re off in the longhouse continued dancing though one complains about the constant warring and while some tables were cleaned up the food and props were not so those are floating mid-air.

One of the NPC’s running into the longhouse stopped and started running in place as the player is meant to just waltz out into the rest of the introduction not turn around and check out the situation first apparently none of the QA testers bothered to do that or it got filed as DNF. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Do Not Fix.)

Difficulty choices and other selections although there’s a odd one for gender selection now where depending on how manly or womanly “Eivor” is throughout the game it just switches based on whatever kinda parameter that even is. (Also that’s a decidedly female name far as I know ha ha.)

Gets a bit better once you’re done with the early stuff and you get into the rest of Norway for the remainder of the early game but yeah Origins felt like it had a good part of the starter cut out but was otherwise fairly polished, Odyssey had it’s quirks and forced gameplay changes like the totally-Greek-fighting conquest moment but this feels like it would have needed at least a few more months for final polishing and fixing.

Need to see what the 1.0.2 update contained and there’s probably nothing for 1.0.1 probably a ton of internal fixes and improvements already.

And see if let’s see November 9th - 10th so December about a month for now and if the games already on a big discount or not.

Hmm and Yakuza (7) Like a Dragon coming out later today too plus Prodeus is now available in early access.

Choices, well it’s a good thing it’s not just stuck on waiting for more patches at least. :smiley:

The new Yakuza game looks so hilarious. Was watching CohhCarnage play it. He got access yesterday to it. I love the new Turn-Based combat. And I love how the game doesn’t take itself serious most of the time. It has its serious moments, like the past Yakuza games, but the rest of the time it is over the top, hilarious shit. The fourth wall breaking parts are particularly hilarious. It definitely seems like it’ll be a lot of fun.

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me… way too many games releasing right now :wink:

Wish the Steam store had a store badge for games with HDR. I don’t know whether to expect HDR or not. I know the Series X version has HDR, but that doesn’t mean anything when a game is ported :-\

Pfft, need more Patrons so I can buy and test all the games flooding the market right now, lol.

Do you literally mean there’s an error message about IDXGIDebug1 not being implemented that prevents the game from starting, or just a log entry in SK?

Either way, WTF is a retail game using IDXGIDebug1 for? :slight_smile: That’s for memory leak tracking, which you do not do for software that is release quality. It’s just going to tank performance.

Now you have really piqued my interest, and I’m going to have to add some features to SK to see just how often retail games ship using the DirectX debug layer :face_with_raised_eyebrow:.

There’s a few games that do, I’ll be screening the actual error messages shortly but it’s looking for functions across these two and that fails the start of the rest of the game.

EDIT:

Aftermath is the runtime component for NVIDIA NSight debugging I believe so that’s where that comes from at least.

EDIT: And the game where this also popped up was Metro Exodus.
Must have been a similar thing then, wonder if that’s using Aftermath too.

EDIT: Yeah a helper for identifying GPU crashes.

Think AMD has something like that as part of the AGS package (5.3 being used here.) curious as to what the NVIDIA file is loading up though as usually NVAPI isn’t active on AMD GPU systems to my knowledge.
(Well there’s PhysX still but that goes separately and through a strictly CPU only path.)

Hmm wonder if that means that this might be in a majority of the newer games that are utilizing NSight / NVIDIA Aftermath is then hooking up IDXGIDebugInterface1 or similar so they can troubleshoot memory related errors.

And then reliance on this functionality as a potential problem unless supported in some form.

EDIT: Guessing there’s no easy way to check Steam packages for GFSDK_Aftermath_Lib.x64.dll or similar for that particular dependency or .dll file rather.
(Version 2.6.0.0 here.)