Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

So the method to get RTSS to improve is to bug the shit out of its developer, essentially forcing them to implement features to prove their point?

To be fair, in some cases I would say this might be behind some features in SK as well…

3 Likes

I will say, the most important feature to me is first and foremost the ability to force games into flip model, followed by the texture cache, and the frame limiter.
These directly improve many many games.

HDR Injection is also important to me, but I don’t use that feature quite as much since I don’t have an oled as my primary display right now but I value it and think it’s fantastic.

I love that you are pushing the boundaries and doing the research. I do hope it starts to be implemented into other projects. I tell people every single day abiut special K and the magic of flip model.

Unwinder won’t be an ally, but I’m sure there will be others.

Yeah there is something to that theory :thinking::joy:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1324569228716969984

More about Sony porting stuff to PC with the usual titles listed but little in the ways of new info and not much for a possible release date beyond “2021” and that it might take a bit longer between each game.

Horizon Zero Dawn (released.)
God of War
Ghost of Tsushima
Bloodborne

Demons Souls(?)
Last of Us (? 2?)

50 million US Dollars and another 7.5 million US Dollars in revenue. (HZD sales?)

EDIT:

Kinda works in with existing info, makes it interesting too if NVIDIA is negotiating for some high profile title and something a bit more recent like AMD and Horizon Zero Dawn as another RTX showcase and Game Works supported game.

Takes time though, will be interesting to see how it goes but this fits in with the existing rumors and info and makes a few things a bit more concrete like this Linked In bit about Playstation PC Business and a investment figure to go with it plus revenue thus far for it.

Interesting bits of info. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Demons isn’t in the topic but they had that end of trailer message initially which then got scrubbed it’s not something that just changes just like that.

Last of Us (Possibly that it’s the sequel to it.) as a likely addition too assuming negotiations here go well, there’s Death Stranding but it was more between KojiPro / Kojima Productions and NVIDIA not Sony directly even if they had initial console exclusivity for the game. :slight_smile:

Shouldn’t be too big of a issue but the time frame and current focus on the new consoles and how all that goes, NVIDIA wanting a good high profile title to showcase Game Works and RTX through + DLSS I’m sure they can reach an agreement but for now it’s speculative and rumors nothing confirmed.

Which I suppose is what most of this is but every bit of additional info helps make it more of an actual thing and I personally doubt Horizon Zero Dawn would have been a one-off thing but the way it was received and any issues and so on could have formed how to proceed with future ports and learning from this. :floppy_disk:

YES SONY YES! TAKE MY MONEY DAMNIT!

… weird, forum doesn’t let me post just that…

lmao, if I was to get a PS5, I would remove the plates, give those plates a tie dye coating and some sealants, and then clip them back into the main housing.

EDIT: Or maybe a magenta-violet iridescent paint would be sufficient. IDK at the moment.

I’m only assuming here, but 50m sounds like a lot just for porting just those games. Perhaps that includes marketing costs? Even so, i’d love to see most of these games indeed come to PC.

The whole PC venture is a $50 million business, meaning most likely that it’s /everything/, including the current EGS exclusive PC titles from Sony (ReadySet Heroes, Predator: Hunting Grounds) as well as upcoming future ports.

If anything, it sounds a bit low, but I guess that’s because they start slow with ports of existing game before they start to get the ball rolling with newer and more modern titles.

1 Like

TIL Sony published a Predator game :eyes:

@Kaldaien was reading through this document for a set of LUTs i brought for my camera, i don’t know if this would be of interest for HDR injection? I mean specifically how clipped information is smoothed out. No idea how this is done, and if you’re already doing this or if it’s not applicable for games.

Also, this is one cool looking waveform imo, i feel like i need to grab a waveform in this style with SK HDR

LogC + Rec.709? This sounds a lot like hybrid-log gamma, only for color gamut instead of luminance :slight_smile:

It could be useful, but only if a TV’s internal processing that already does this can be guaranteed to be turned off. I assume HGIG makes this guarantee, though color gamut is never discussed in any of the HGIG documents.

0.11.1 release will have to wait until tomorrow…

I added a Paper White slider as a test, and I want it in the next major release. It makes it much easier to deal with NieR: Automata’s insanely washed out base luminance so that HDR isn’t stuck with midtones in the HDR range. I think this is part of what EvilBoris was trying to show with NieR (the official game’s HDR) “fake HDR” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not exactly. Emotive Colour is a tool meant to help some cameras replicate the colour science of the Arri Alexa camera, because it looks so damn good and professional. The author coded the thing from the ground up i believe, but also improved it in the luminance area as you can see with the bulbs, the bottom row being his version. He doesn’t explain anywhere in the guide how he achieved that smooth gradient, but i can try reach him. The Arri Alexa itself can be shot in LogC by default (flat colour profile), and you can apply the Rec709 LUT in post to make everything look normal. Emotive Colour copies the Rec709 output but improves upon it in that one area.

“projects edge gamut behavior” implies that the gamut goes piece-wise toward the extreme boundary of one colorspace and the beginning of a different one, which is precisely what hybrid log gamma does. It should roll-off for devices that cannot produce the gamut.

Ah, just re-read it and i think i get it now.

The thing is, though… consumer televisions are already designed to try and do this.

They aren’t calibrated to produce perfect dE color accuracy, because rather than clipping colors outside their native gamut, they try to use a little bit of remaining space at the edge of the gamut to squeeze all the colors that are out of range into something. It might not be accurate, but it prevents hard clipping and lets you tell two colors are different from each other.

So I think this applies more to print / professional photography.

NVIDIA 457.30

General.

Additional.

Resolved issues.

Open issues.

EDIT: Valhalla should be starting to unlock now too and what else nothing much that I can think of, clearing the backlog in time for the new releases to be patched up ha ha.

Non-gaming wise nothing much happening as usual at least not here.

EDIT: Hmm Sam & Max games from Tell-Tale getting updated, interesting so they did manage to pull through following terrible upper management and tech issues and dwindling sales after all.

EDIT: And a XBox Series feature and general optimization update for Ori and the Will of the Wisps

… I literally just upgraded the drivers yesterday and now a new one gets released? Jeez…

Uuuuhhhh… Didn’t they include any details? That’s like a really horrendous bug.

Unless there’s something on the GeForce forums then no it’s just the short description and the internal bug tracker number.

Wonder if you can just switch it back if that’s all there is to this unless there’s other problems with it at a higher refresh rate.

4:2:2 would be the whole bandwidth and HDMI limitation and then there’s the (solved?) issue where NVIDIA defaults to limited instead of full range.

But switching from RGB to YCBCR that’s nothing I was aware of flipping the color mode around entirely.

I’ve actually found a recent odd bug with the Nvidia drivers. If I run the DCH version of the driver (I got changed over somehow form the Standard driver), it causes FFXIV to crash intermittently (could be like a minute after starting or an hour plus). I tried everything, including wiping my entire OS and starting over, but what it came down to was which version of the driver I was using. I installed the Standard version of the exact same driver Version, and that stopped my crashing. It was only FFXIV that was affected (at least from what I could tell). It was so odd, and frustrating to figure out.